Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I interned with the innocence project in law school. I have seen dozens of poor minorities with questionable convictions and/or mentally retarded men that confessed to crimes after coercion, that now sit or have sat on death row for crimes that it's pretty clear that they didn't commit...or in my case in particular, a black man that sat on death row for nearly two decades and evaded the needle TWICE only to be exonerated by DNA evidence for raping and murdering a woman that he had never even met.

In calling for his head the majority white community was inflamed, they were passionate, they were horrified, the state hated him...and they were wrong. Categorically, no wiggle room, no question...just wrong.

It does happen, and if there weren't people working on his behalf for nearly two decades then he would be dead. Had there been one person that was able to abate their passion and listen to logic, then perhaps he wouldn't have been in that position. We'll never know...but I think room for dissent is essential. That's why I don't hold the "hold outs' decision against them.

A different opinion about the necessity of putting someone to death doesn't mean that the person holding the opinion is wrong...and I say this as someone who is willing to bend my death penalty opposition for JA(because she is vile.)

Right, but in this particular case, Jodi admitted to murdering Travis. There was no risk whatsoever that she may not have done it.

I interned with the innocence project in law school. I have seen dozens of poor minorities with questionable convictions and/or mentally retarded men that confessed to crimes after coercion, that now sit or have sat on death row for crimes that it's pretty clear that they didn't commit...or in my case in particular, a black man that sat on death row for nearly two decades and evaded the needle TWICE only to be exonerated by DNA evidence for raping and murdering a woman that he had never even met.

In calling for his head the majority white community was inflamed, they were passionate, they were horrified, the state hated him...and they were wrong. Categorically, no wiggle room, no question...just wrong.

It does happen, and if there weren't people working on his behalf for nearly two decades then he would be dead. Had there been one person that was able to abate their passion and listen to logic, then perhaps he wouldn't have been in that position. We'll never know...but I think room for dissent is essential. That's why I don't hold the "hold outs' decision against them.

A different opinion about the necessity of putting someone to death doesn't mean that the person holding the opinion is wrong...and I say this as someone who is willing to bend my death penalty opposition for JA(because she is vile.)

I agree with this, but it's a double-edged sword because, had the man you speak of not been in death row, he might have not gotten the right kind of help to get himself free. Don't Death row inmates get more appeals and more avenues to try to free themselves?

I do agree with your sentiment like I said, but it's sad that an innocent person has to be on death row to get a chances to get out of it. Doesn't life without parole make less appeals available?

I don't want any innocent people on death row or in jail.

I'm conflicted about death row because, unless you're a serial killer, I kind of want you to sit in jail until you die and live with the notion that you can't ever be free. I want you to spend your days wasting away with criminals and knowing why you're there. What I don't want is privileges and jobs and "lives" for prisoners. They don't deserve them. They don't deserve school and others things free that law-abiding people have to work for. (but then there are the innocents in jail that do deserve that because it could help free them.)

So I'm just conflicted.

I agreed with Vinney Politan when he said, "our system needs something between the DP and LWOP and call it Life Row". For evil people to spend the rest of their lives in a tiny tomb like existence in solitary confinement. I would vote for that because that would be FAR worse than the DP for CMja. I figure, that would be somewhere around 50 years of nothing but 4 walls in a 7x11 cubicle all by her little lonesome. What torture!

I agree her behaviour was disgusting. And this has nothing to do with her....but what was that juror thinking of going in the area where the press was where he could be seen when the rest of the jury were on the bus where they were not near anyone. He must have wanted some of that attention or he wouldn't have done that jmho.

Maybe he was the only juror who did not have a car. That may have been the closes exit to the stop he needed.

All I can say is...I live in Phoenix and will be anxiously checking my mailbox each day and praying for a jury summons to appear!! If it happens, Jodi is getting the needle for sure! Muahahahahaha!

I think you've just proven why the penalty phase can't be re-tried. At least in PHX. According to those in the know, the defense reads here.

Over on my exmormon board, one of the posters suggested that because of the trial being allowed to go on so long, fatigue and mental strain were at work. Furthermore, under such stressful conditions, a Stockholm Syndrome can develop where the jury and the criminal begin to identify.

When you stop to think about it, this jury was held in a separate padded room for extended periods of time never knowing how long they would be in there, or why, or when they would be allowed out. Certainly they bonded with each other, but as much as I hate to say it, the defense strategy of pushing this judge to allow Jodi Arias to testify for a month worked.

Fortunately, we get a do-over with a fresh bunch. Did anyone confirm if a new judge comes with the new deal?

Based on what I read earlier in the thread, the DA is "assessing" and there may not be a 2nd try. He has an option to turn it over to the judge and let her decide LWOP or LWP and save a ton of money. He can re-try it too, but it is not carved in stone that it will happen.

Yeah and where were they touring the Grand Canyon and Donovan didn't disclose that to nancy grace.

Did they remember to carry her portrait in a frame with them to the Grand Canyon? All wearing those disgusting survivor tee shirts? Sometimes it seems they've already washed their hands of her.

that juror video is AWFUL. :facepalm: how many times can the poor guy say no comment.

It was over the top when they got on the bus with him. At that point, I wondered if they'd follow him home. or if he could go home.

He told them that he came out that way every day. They asked what he said, and he grimaced and was like "No comment."

I suppose that's true that he came out that way every day. Wonder how they didn't identify that the whole time.

Did they remember to carry her portrait in a frame with them to the Grand Canyon? All wearing those disgusting survivor tee shirts? Sometimes it seems they've already washed their hands of her.

Omg that cracked me up!!!

Thank you:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually think Dr Drew is an idiot, I agree with what you posted he said above.
The justice system isn't about revenge. I understand the families desire for the DP and I wanted it for them because they did.
The best thing they could do now for themselves is to agree to a plea of LWOP. by doing so, they wouldn't be giving Jodi another minute of control or another opportunity to be seen and heard . she would no longer be in control over their lives. All IMO

"She would no longer be in control"

BINGO!!!!

That's been her ONLY game plan and ANY plea from JM would include NO APPEALS EVER, that would never work for JA, since that IS her only avenue of escape..ever.

That's why she reacted the way she did today...she knew

I think you've just proven why the penalty phase can't be re-tried. At least in PHX. According to those in the know, the defense reads here.

I do know from reading Wild About Trial's tweets this morning that he passed this juror this morning and he was walking to the courthouse. I think Wild's tweet at that time said he just passed Marlboro Man about 6 miles away from courthouse and would have given him a ride except he remembered the admonition not to speak to the jury...or hitchhikers.

Before, JM had nothing personal going on with this case, and he was still a bulldog. Pulled a lot of punches.

Now, not overtly, he has an axe to grind. Should be interesting if he gets another go around with Jodi testifying.

Right, but in this particular case, Jodi admitted to murdering Travis. There was no risk whatsoever that she may not have done it.

I agree with you there! I don't think I would shy away from putting the needle in myself in this case. The original discussion was about the necessity of unanimous death verdicts and the OP said that he/she felt that one or two hold outs shouldn't stop a death sentence. I think 'majority rules' is a bad way to go for something so serious.

Omg that cracked me up!!!

Thank you:)

lol
You know what would be more funny? If Anonymous or an internet hacker decided to 'end' the internet sales of Jodi's evil t-shirts.

My husband told me that if we were ever in court and if I needed comfort, he would put his arm around me.

I tried to explain to him that was probably not allowed in court.

He didn't care.

We are in the South.

:seeya:

It was over the top when they got on the bus with him. At that point, I wondered if they'd follow him home. or if he could go home.

He told them that he came out that way every day. They asked what he said, and he grimaced and was like "No comment."

I suppose that's true that he came out that way every day. Wonder how they didn't identify that the whole time.

The media cannot approach sitting jurors. What does the judge ask them every single morning? "Has anyone attempted to speak with you about this trial?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member