Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am not mistaken, after hearing arguments this morning the judge will decide whether or not to let the handwriting expert testify. I think that's what is happening. Then again, I may have dreamed it. Who knows?LOL

I will post tweets as soon as I get my hands on them

If I am not mistaken, after hearing arguments this morning the judge will decide whether or not to let the handwriting expert testify. I think that's what is happening. Then again, I may have dreamed it. Who knows?LOL

Yes, Tricia, this is what Mr. Greer said in the radio show. I most certainly hope the judge permits the handwriting expert to testify.

Thanks for your post setting parameters, Tricia. If it makes you feel any better about Websleuths being in disagreement with the San Diego Sheriff who is “adamant that Rebecca killed herself”, it helps to remember that they were also adamant that the McStay family was seen on video walking into Mexico. Not even close. They were dead. But it took several years for their remains to be accidentally found in another county. In the meantime, the investigation in San Diego county left a lot to be desired. So, although I’m normally very supportive of LE’s efforts, as WS is, there are a number of other cases that have had questionable investigations in San Diego. I don’t think WS is out of line questioning this one. Hang in there. :)

I'll tag onto Lilibet's post here and say that I also appreciate Tricia's candidness and the dilemma she's facing. With regard to being on the opposite side of LE, as I mentioned in an earlier post, this case has shown me certain realities of life I was hoping to never have proof of, one of which is that it seems, imo, an entire department of cops can be persuaded to do the wrong thing. Incredibly disturbing for someone like me who is normally always pro-LE.

I would also like to add that from my observations, one of the reasons Dina became a target of suspicion was that anti-Rebecca forces on this board and others appeared to be supporters of Dina, and they posted some of the most vicious, nasty stuff I've ever seen all over the internet. Speaking only for myself, I've never had an opinion as to who murdered Rebecca (because I'm primarily obsessed with why SDSO didn't do their job) - only that she was murdered and didn't commit suicide. But when the vicious crew of anti-RZ, pro-Dina posters started running wild all over the internet, it did make me wonder what the heck their motive was. (And whatever their motive, they did Dina no favors.)

Again, speaking only for myself, I have no problem leaving Dina out of the conversation. Jonah is another matter for me, not necessarily with regard to RZ's death, but because I firmly believe "sweep it under the rug" types of things went on behind the scenes immediately afterwards, and continue to this day, I'm sure.

All the above is imo, in case I wasn't clear.

I'll tag onto Lilibet's post here and say that I also appreciate Tricia's candidness and the dilemma she's facing. With regard to being on the opposite side of LE, as I mentioned in an earlier post, this case has shown me certain realities of life I was hoping to never have proof of, one of which is that it seems, imo, an entire department of cops can be persuaded to do the wrong thing. Incredibly disturbing for someone like me who is normally always pro-LE.

I would also like to add that from my observations, one of the reasons Dina became a target of suspicion was that anti-Rebecca forces on this board and others appeared to be supporters of Dina, and they posted some of the most vicious, nasty stuff I've ever seen all over the internet. Speaking only for myself, I've never had an opinion as to who murdered Rebecca (because I'm primarily obsessed with why SDSO didn't do their job) - only that she was murdered and didn't commit suicide. But when the vicious crew of anti-RZ, pro-Dina posters started running wild all over the internet, it did make me wonder what the heck their motive was. (And whatever their motive, they did Dina no favors.)

Again, speaking only for myself, I have no problem leaving Dina out of the conversation. Jonah is another matter for me, not necessarily with regard to RZ's death, but because I firmly believe "sweep it under the rug" types of things went on behind the scenes immediately afterwards, and continue to this day, I'm sure.

Excellent post and well stated, Imp! :goodpost:

In the last couple of days, someone posted vile stuff on the page via several nasty comments there. I alerted the people and they removed the remarks right away and banned the person, but it was the same nastiness that we've seen on this board and on the kitty litter site over the past years. Vicious. SMH

IMO, JS was protecting himself and his children. IMO, GS was involved in Max's accident, and he knew that Dina would sue him for every penny that he had or would have if she knew the truth about what really happened to Max. IMO, he talked Rebecca into going along with a story about Max's accident, knowing full well that she would eventually tell the truth, because that is just the kind of person that she is. He hustled the older kids out of Spreckels, and created this story about how they left early that morning to fly to Phoenix. I know for fact that they did not fly to Phoenix, but were on a 1:47pm Delta Flight to Atlanta. So, yes, follow the money because he did not want to lose his fortune to his ex wife, and he wanted to protect his child (GS) from any possible criminal charges..........This is all my opinion.

Makes more sense than for this to be a suicide!!

I followed this case closely and never understood the suspicion or the venom directed at Dina. It has been incredibly unfair to her and to her beloved son, Max. The only anti-Rebecca sentiments I saw on this board had to do with how Max's injuries happened on her watch. iirc, his physician doubted RZ's explanation and asked that it be reported to LE/CPS for investigation.

I do not believe any law enforcement officer in America would play politics or cover-up when the death of a child is involved. No way. I've not seen a shred of evidence that happened in this case. JMO

Yes, Tricia, this is what Mr. Greer said in the radio show. I most certainly hope the judge permits the handwriting expert to testify.

I'm hoping the expert testifies as well because I can't figure out how he will tie it to Adam.

[FONT=&amp]A Coronado Police officer who was among the first to arrive at the Spreckels Mansion after the death of Rebecca Zahau testified Monday in the wrongful death civil case.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Investigators would later find a single boot print on the balcony...

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The officer on the witness stand was questioned about the shoe print by Keith Greer, Zahau’s family lawyer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]He said as part of the investigation, his boots were taken in as evidence.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Investigators later determined the print was accidentally left behind by the officer during his sweep of the home.

A PERT counselor, a fingerprint expert and a handwriting expert are also expected to testify Monday.

https://www.10news.com/news/coronad...ifies-about-rebecca-zahau-death-investigation
[/FONT]

In the last couple of days, someone posted vile stuff on the page via several nasty comments there. I alerted the people and they removed the remarks right away and banned the person, but it was the same nastiness that we've seen on this board and on the kitty litter site over the past years. Vicious. SMH

Unbelievable, kittychi. What kind of sick minds harbor such hatred for a murdered woman they didn't know?

Makes you wonder with all the relevant info 20/20 could have included, they chose the irrelevant witchcraft book.

On second thought, it doesn't make me wonder.

Because I’ve noted this book was pulled out for viewing a couple of times in the 20/20 piece and provided as some kind of suggestion of an abnormal state of mind, slanting against RZ, I think it deserves to be given more explanation. For starters, we don’t know who owned this book.

The book displays some limited binding techniques and mentions the use of a red rope. But 20/20 only superficially brushed the specifics in this book. Yes, there was specified a red rope used to bind the hands behind the back. However, 20/20 left out that this is only part of the instructions for a ceremonial initiation into the traditions of the occult. Moreover, there are other ceremonial requirements described in the book which were not seen at all in the bedroom photo.

In many comments from RZ’s family, they affirm her connection with Christianity and that she had no depressive or weird behavior the last they had contact with her. It’s beyond the imagination RZ would decide to participate in an occult ceremony after returning home that evening.

On the surface, since the book appears to have been mentioned in an official report, it does seem like someone in LE suggested drawing a link between the book and a suicide. Now the question for me is why draw that link instead of weighing that this could have been a homicidal act with staging inspiration from a book? Ya think confirmation bias?.

I don’t have an answer, but Greer’s decision to propose disallowing the book at trial as proof of anything is the only reasonable course.

I'm hoping the expert testifies as well because I can't figure out how he will tie it to Adam.

You should check out the photos of the exhibit comparing Adam's writing to the words painted on the door. Very similar. You can view it in this video

https://www.10news.com/news/evidenc...s-death-of-rebecca-zahau-at-spreckels-mansion

BTW link to news story today with testimony of first officer to arrive. Officer says he submitted his boots for analysis but personally does not know if the print on the balcony was his

https://www.10news.com/news/coronad...ifies-about-rebecca-zahau-death-investigation

You should check out the photos of the exhibit comparing Adam's writing to the words painted on the door. Very similar. You can view it in this video

https://www.10news.com/news/evidenc...s-death-of-rebecca-zahau-at-spreckels-mansion

BTW link to news story today with testimony of first officer to arrive. Officer says he submitted his boots for analysis but personally does not know if the print on the balcony was his

I'm interested to hear about RZ's footprints on the balcony. I would think there would be a very odd pattern given that she was bound at the wrists and ankles, with a shirt around her mouth/throat, and the rope around her neck, of course, and presumably had to hop to the railing, and then get herself over it with all those ropes in place. There should be a very tricky set of prints on that balcony given what SDSO tells us happened.

Because I’ve noted this book was pulled out for viewing a couple of times in the 20/20 piece and provided as some kind of suggestion of an abnormal state of mind, slanting against RZ, I think it deserves to be given more explanation. For starters, we don’t know who owned this book.

The book displays some limited binding techniques and mentions the use of a red rope. But 20/20 only superficially brushed the specifics in this book. Yes, there was specified a red rope used to bind the hands behind the back. However, 20/20 left out that this is only part of the instructions for a ceremonial initiation into the traditions of the occult. Moreover, there are other ceremonial requirements described in the book which were not seen at all in the bedroom photo.

In many comments from RZ’s family, they affirm her connection with Christianity and that she had no depressive or weird behavior the last they had contact with her. It’s beyond the imagination RZ would decide to participate in an occult ceremony after returning home that evening.

On the surface, since the book appears to have been mentioned in an official report, it does seem like someone in LE suggested drawing a link between the book and a suicide. Now the question for me is why draw that link instead of weighing that this could have been a homicidal act with staging inspiration from a book? Ya think confirmation bias?.

I don’t have an answer, but Greer’s decision to propose disallowing the book at trial as proof of anything is the only reasonable course.

Even law enforcement determined the book was not relevant as evidence. There's no proof it belonged to RZ or that she had even read it.

It does make you wonder if someone else planted it there. It wasn't found until long after RZ's murder.

I'm interested to hear about RZ's footprints on the balcony. I would think there would be a very odd pattern given that she was bound at the wrists and ankles, with a shirt around her mouth/throat, and the rope around her neck, of course, and presumably had to hop to the railing, and then get herself over it with all those ropes in place. There should be a very tricky set of prints on that balcony given what SDSO tells us happened.

Not only that, but if RZ committed suicide (I don't think she did) her footprints would have been all over the balcony. Why? In order to cut the hanging rope to the precise length, she would have needed to go out on the balcony to lower the rope beforehand to get an idea of where to cut it. How else could someone measure that length if they weren't a professional at using ropes, lashing and tying knots?

Not only that, but if RZ committed suicide (I don't think she did) her footprints would have been all over the balcony. Why? In order to cut the hanging rope to the precise length, she would have needed to go out on the balcony to lower the rope beforehand to get an idea of where to cut it. How else could someone measure that length if they weren't a professional at using ropes, lashing and tying knots?

Great point. One of the experts last week said something that indicated the lack of fingerprints in the bedroom means someone must have wiped them away. I'm thinking lack of footprints on the balcony may fall into the same category. I suppose it's also possible the murderer tossed the rope over the railing from inside the bedroom without stepping onto the balcony, and then finished the staging from the ground below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twentyninethousand