Bug bite or ear infection?

An interesting thing about DB not checking on BL, is that both JI and DB said she probably wouldn't wake and cry if you picked her up (I think Db said she might but if you snuggled her she would go right back to sleep.) So I don't think the issue was that BL was a light sleeper and would wake up and cry if you opened the door to check on her. MOO

So it is possible an abducter could have picked her up as well and she not cry if cuddled?

So it is possible an abducter could have picked her up as well and she not cry if cuddled?

I think that was DB's intent with this statement (or response to a question, I don't remember the circumstances), that Lisa was not the type of baby who was afraid of strangers.
And to clarify, I wasn't trying to say that DB didn't check on Lisa because she was a light sleeper and would have woken up. I was just pointing out that SOME people have mentioned they thought she was a "bad mom" because of not checking on Lisa after she put her to bed and this is their reasoning for thinking she harmed Lisa. I'm just pointing out I rarely checked on my kids either when they were that age. Now for those who think that she put Lisa to be early because she wanted to get drunk, it is possible, who knows.

hambirg, you and your bell curve brought me straight back to high school stats class!

awesome posts!!

now, wanna grab some fries with me in the caf? :D

hambirg, you and your bell curve brought me straight back to high school stats class!

awesome posts!!

now, wanna grab some fries with me in the caf? :D
I never had a "stats class" in high school. Maybe that's why this bell curve stuff leaves me a bit confused. Is it really possible to graph out with data points whether someone is telling the truth or not?

I never had a "stats class" in high school. Maybe that's why this bell curve stuff leaves me a bit confused. Is it really possible to graph out with data points whether someone is telling the truth or not?

I failed stats in college ( I also failed English Comp. Is that obvious? lol). I would have to say that a chart will most assuredly NOT tell you if someone is lying. In my non-professional opinon. I guess there are those though, that may feel justified in accusing the parents because they fall outside the "norm". After all, if you aren't acting like everyone else, there is something hinky there.
Whoo, I'm tired, getting snarky. :)

ETA: No, really though, I think it is more along the lines of getting stats on how people who were later found guilty "acted", and what they did, and those who were innocent. I guess.

no, not telling truth per se.

in a nutshell, it just means that there is a norm for things (like reactions to an event). most people will have a certain reaction/response... a few will not. they will be outside the norm and less prevalent. all hambirg is basically saying is that according to statistics i.e. :

A (deb) + B (having a sick child) = C (her response/how she cares for sick baby)

... because what we know (what has been studied) about reactions tells us that deb's C isn't following the pattern of what we know about how ppl react to things like a sick child.

hambirg is also saying that it's possible there are variables (like being drunk) that could make one's behavior different from the "norm" (how most ppl would react). but since "most ppl" would react to a sick baby in a very specific way, if deb says she didn't react in this same way, it might be b/c she was drunk (which would be a variable that could change C) or it might be that she isn't telling the truth... b/c again "most people" do react as expected (the norm).

does this make sense? that stats class was a loooong time ago.

http://askville.amazon.com/bell-curve-definition-measure/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=790881

http://math.about.com/od/glossaryofterms/g/Bell-Curve-Normal-Distribution-Defined.htm

no, not telling truth per se.

in a nutshell, it just means that there is a norm for things (like reactions to an event). most people will have a certain reaction/response... a few will not. they will be outside the norm and less prevalent. all hambirg is basically saying is that according to statistics i.e. :

A (deb) + B (having a sick child) = C (her response/how she cares for sick baby)

... because what we know (what has been studied) about reactions tells us that deb's C isn't following the pattern of what we know about how ppl react to things like a sick child.

hambirg is also saying that it's possible there are variables (like being drunk) that could make one's behavior different from the "norm" (how most ppl would react). but since "most ppl" would react to a sick baby in a very specific way, if deb says she didn't react in this same way, it might be b/c she was drunk (which would be a variable that could change C) or it might be that she isn't telling the truth... b/c again "most people" do react as expected (the norm).

does this make sense? that stats class was a loooong time ago.

http://askville.amazon.com/bell-curve-definition-measure/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=790881

http://math.about.com/od/glossaryofterms/g/Bell-Curve-Normal-Distribution-Defined.htm

I think that explains it very well. Thanks.
A's? Show off :floorlaugh:

After all, if you aren't acting like everyone else, there is something hinky there.

almost.

basically, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's usually a duck.

(with a few very infrequent exceptions).

I failed stats in college ( I also failed English Comp. Is that obvious? lol). I would have to say that a chart will most assuredly NOT tell you if someone is lying. In my non-professional opinon. I guess there are those though, that may feel justified in accusing the parents because they fall outside the "norm". After all, if you aren't acting like everyone else, there is something hinky there.
Whoo, I'm tired, getting snarky. :)

ETA: No, really though, I think it is more along the lines of getting stats on how people who were later found guilty "acted", and what they did, and those who were innocent. I guess.
Hey, I admit I'm only a high school grad so when I see posts about bell graphs and whatever I feel a bit lost. I'm more of a down to earth kind of guy. You know a KISS "keep it simple stupid" type of person.

Hey, I admit I'm only a high school grad so when I see posts about bell graphs and whatever I feel a bit lost. I'm more of a down to earth kind of guy. You know a KISS "keep it simple stupid" type of person.

Well discussing Bell charts and graphs etc., is very confusing. I think if you actually saw it AS a chart, it would help to make it a little more clear. I am a very visual person so if someone tried to verbally explain a Bell graph to me, I would be completley lost. But having seen it on paper, I understand a little better what it is.

Also, I hope you don't think I was mocking you for saying you were confused. I was being sarcastic. :)

Well discussing Bell charts and graphs etc., is very confusing. I think if you actually saw it AS a chart, it would help to make it a little more clear. I am a very visual person so if someone tried to verbally explain a Bell graph to me, I would be completley lost. But having seen it on paper, I understand a little better what it is.

Also, I hope you don't think I was mocking you for saying you were confused. I was being sarcastic. :)
I'm just lost on how any chart or graph will help me see who is telling the truth. If a visual graph with all the data points charted out will do that, then I'd like to see it.

ranch--

i posted links with pics of the curve... most ppl will fit into the large bell shaped curve at the widest tallest point for any behavior, result, stats test score etc... as the curve thins out towards the ends, less ppl will fit in there (space-wise) so there'll be fewer results away from/outside the norm - the wide tall part of the curve. again, it's not indicating telling the truth but what is normal behaviour... if someone says they had a different reaction, it might be b/c they are lying or it might be b/c of some variable/other factor but this is way less likely.

Ranch that's why it's important to have a large sample group. Things like lying will work themselves out that way. It becomes statistically insignificant.

ranch--

i posted links with pics of the curve... most ppl will fit into the large bell shaped curve at the widest tallest point for any behavior, result, stats test score etc... as the curve thins out towards the ends, less ppl will fit in there (space-wise) so there'll be fewer results away from/outside the norm - the wide tall part of the curve. again, it's not indicating telling the truth but what is normal behaviour... if someone says they had a different reaction, it might be b/c they are lying or it might be b/c of some variable/other factor but this is way less likely.

This is way over my head.

I'm just lost on how any chart or graph will help me see who is telling the truth. If a visual graph with all the data points charted out will do that, then I'd like to see it.

It won't tell you who is telling the truth, but it will tell you which behavior is "normal." I guess in a way it can shed some light on truth. . .like if somebody's behavior is way outside of the norm then you can try to ascertain why.

ranch--

Are you really going to make me study bell curves? How about we talk about things in plain English?

It won't tell you who is telling the truth, but it will tell you which behavior is "normal." I guess in a way it can shed some light on truth. . .like if somebody's behavior is way outside of the norm then you can try to ascertain why.

If someones behavior is way outside of the norm, it should be obvious for all to see. Would the graph tell you why the behavior was abnormal?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125
Back