Amphetamines

beesy said:
Owe me one what? I started the thread hoping to talk about her mental state. The possibility that she was abusing speed is about her mental condition. And no I am not miffed I was wrong. In fact I said that Goody said it was Phen-Fen, but actually it was just the Phen. I finally read it with my magnifying glass!
Only one of the fens has amphetamine in it, so they would probably only list the one that did. Esp if they weren't testing for every drug under the sun.

Goody said:
O, knock it off. You know perfectly well when I used the word "fear," I was referring to you jumping to the conclusion that I no longer believed she was guilty. :banghead:
You mean this line right here?
"That is just my point....you fear that talking about her psychological situations MIGHT reduce her guilt somehow"

Oh, you were referring to the guilty comment....Oh...

Goody said:
Only one of the fens has amphetamine in it, so they would probably only list the one that did. Esp if they weren't testing for every drug under the sun.
According to laura's post #18, neither has amphetamine in it and the Phen part can show a false positive. The report does state she tested positive for amphetamine with a foot note saying it was positive due to the Phen.

Originally Posted by feenix
[/b]

And THAT Goody.................... is a classic example of why people jump down your throat!!:( [/color]

Goody said:
Have you been reading this thread? Go back and point out another like remark made by me. I sure don't recall any.
Goody, you already referred to this in post No. 74. I am NOT going to carry this on with you, so can we drop it please? We both enjoy posting on here so I think it's time to move forward. :cool:

beesy said:
According to laura's post #18, neither has amphetamine in it and the Phen part can show a false positive. The report does state she tested positive for amphetamine with a foot note saying it was positive due to the Phen.

This is correct, Beesy. Neither Phentermine ( Phen) or Dexfenflouramine ( the now- withdrawn Fen) are Amphetamines. They are close enough in chemical structure to cause a false positive in a random drug screen but a quantitative and qualitative drug assay will show the difference. It's HUGE in terms of schedule drugs.

The FDA classifies certain drugs as Controlled Substances, and puts each controlled drug into a category I- IV, with I being either experimental or illegal.

The FDA and DEA monitor how many prescriptions each doctor writes for controlled drugs, and hospitals and pharmacies keep accurate drug counts for each pill or injectable controlled substance. These are the drugs which are most likely abused, have a higher overdosage potential, and the higher the number, the greater the potential for risks and addiction.

Desoxyn is the only true weight loss Amphetamine on the market and is a Schedule II drug.
This is the HIGHEST classification which can be given to legal controlled substances. Schedule I drugs are things like Heroin. As best as I know, all Schedule I drugs are illegal or unapproved because they are experimental...

Desoxyn IS Methamphetamine in legal pill form. I looked it up today. The other Amphetamine class drugs are things like Ritalin, et.al., and are used for ADHD. Desoxyn may be given for ADHD, but it was produced originally as an anorectic drug and is still prescribed by a few doctors as such. Obviously, the potentials for abuse and serious side effects are very high.

Phentermine is a much lower schedule drug in the Schedule 4 ( written as Schedule IV) drugs, the lowest classification of Schedule drugs because does not have the risks of a Class II or even Class III controlled drug.
Mild prescription pain pills are also Schedule IV drugs, so there's a huge difference in an Amphetamine and Phentermine in both action and abuse potential.

I'm posting this because I looked up the Schedule numbers for each drug today. If you ever get something filled and it has a large letter C with an IV in the center, it means that you are taking a Controlled Substance, Schedule IV.
Not wanting to beat a dead horse...

feenix said:
[/color][/b]

Where exactly did I applaud her for it?? I can only see one person applauding on post No. 52........ and it's not me I'm afraid!
Well, sometimes we post to the same quote several times. But I agree, it is time to move on.

beesy said:
Correct. I misstated. Should have said only one would show a false positive so that is the one they would list... I think.

Thinkoflaura said:
There is only one true Amphetamine ( speed) for weight loss on the market, as has been the case for many years. The drug is Desoxyn.

ALL of the other drugs like Phentermine ( Fastin, etc) are not true Amphetamines. Was Darlie taking Desoxyn?

Since I don't know anything about this part of the Darlie story, could you give me a link to a drug screen which tested positive for Amphetamines?

Darlie could have taken Xenedrine and called it an Amphetamine, IMO. Just sayin'.

Thanks for reading my post.
Darlie was taking the drug Fastin.

deandaniellws said:
Yes, and the chemical/ generic name for the brand name of Fastin is Phentermine. Fastin IS Phentermine. As I posted above, Phentermine is NOT an amphetamine but does have enough of the chemical properties that it can show a false positive for " Amphetamines" on a broad drug screen. A specific drug assay would then narrow the substance down to its specific chemical properties, showing that it was Phentermine, which is not an Amphetamine. Since Amphetamines are a Class II Schedule controlled substance and Phentermine is a Class IV Schedule controlled substance, there is a huge difference in the safety and addiction potential. The lower the Schedule number ( I - !V) the safer the drug as determined by its inherent chemical properties and action upon the human body, non-specific to an individual client.
Thank you for reading.

Thinkoflaura said:
Yes, and the chemical/ generic name for the brand name of Fastin is Phentermine. Fastin IS Phentermine. As I posted above, Phentermine is NOT an amphetamine but does have enough of the chemical properties that it can show a false positive for " Amphetamines" on a broad drug screen. A specific drug assay would then narrow the substance down to its specific chemical properties, showing that it was Phentermine, which is not an Amphetamine. Since Amphetamines are a Class II Schedule controlled substance and Phentermine is a Class IV Schedule controlled substance, there is a huge difference in the safety and addiction potential. The lower the Schedule number ( I - !V) the safer the drug as determined by its inherent chemical properties and action upon the human body, non-specific to an individual client.
Thank you for reading.
I know...I was agreeing with you! :p It was a very popular drug in the 80's. I took it to lose the weight after my second child was born. It made me nervous!.:eek: I only stayed on it for two months.

deandaniellws said:
Are you sure she was only taking Fastin? That is interesting. I wonder where the PhenFen rumor started then.

Thinkoflaura said:
Thank you for reading.
What about other side effects like nervousness, interference with sleep, etc? Is that present in the Fastin as it is in other diet drugs? What about psychotic epidsodes, even in a rare occurence?

deandaniellws said:
I know...I was agreeing with you! :p It was a very popular drug in the 80's. I took it to lose the weight after my second child was born. It made me nervous!.:eek: I only stayed on it for two months.
You took only the Fastin and not the other half of PhenFen? Tell us exactly what you took and what the side effects were.

Goody said:
Are you sure she was only taking Fastin? That is interesting. I wonder where the PhenFen rumor started then.
Yes, I am sure.

Goody said:
You took only the Fastin and not the other half of PhenFen? Tell us exactly what you took and what the side effects were.
The pill was called fastin. It took a doctor's prescription to get the drug. It made me nervous, hard to sleep, and an over all feeling of speed. It does take the weight off quickly because you don't feel hungry at all.

deandaniellws said:
The pill was called fastin. It took a doctor's prescription to get the drug. It made me nervous, hard to sleep, and an over all feeling of speed. It does take the weight off quickly because you don't feel hungry at all.
Those are pretty much Darlie's symptoms. She was edgy and had trouble sleeping.

Goody said:
Those are pretty much Darlie's symptoms. She was edgy and had trouble sleeping.
When arrested she weighted only 133. She was 5'5 so her target would be 125. I can't believe the doctor wrote her a script for Fastin being only 8 lbs over weight.:confused:

Goody said:
from you. I told you the lab results said she tested positive for amphetamines with a footnote saying the Phen, no Fen. Thanks Pam

Cami...your books are on their way back Monday! Thanks a million.:D :D :D

deandaniellws said:
When arrested she weighted only 133. She was 5'5 so her target would be 125. I can't believe the doctor wrote her a script for Fastin being only 8 lbs over weight.:confused:
She'd been taking it since March. How long were you taking it? We've been told that three months is way too long, beyond recommendations. I didn't realize she only had 8 more pounds to lose. I agree that she shouldn't have been taking any diet pill at that stage. Shoot, I lost almost that much just by cutting sugar out of my coffee. People rely too much on pills these days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sally43
Back