JLM's clothes

This is more about appearance than strictly clothes . . . and it's about the visceral impact of his appearance, rather that anything factual. But I have to admit I have a strong instinctual reaction to him as a non-Rastafarian man (and apparently a person not from a Caribbean culture) who choses to wear dreds. I think it's quite unusual for an African-American man who self-identifies strongly as a mainstream (Baptist? Evangelical?) Christian to choose to grow dreds. When I was in college in New York, ages ago, there was a dude who hung around the fringes of our college crowd, and he was not either a Rasta or of Caribbean descent, and he had a thing about trying to pick up college girls, and we always joked about how he cultivated the dreds because it made him appear likable and friendly and non-threatening to a certain kind of college girl who liked to think she was cool and who probably had some Bob Marley CDs and took a toke of weed from time to time. Like, the dreds were cultivated kind of obviously to ingratiate himself to college co-eds. (And that guy, who I knew --- nothing to do, factually, with JLM --- happened to be a real, real creep. Predatory, tho not "predator."") Anyway, so when I started following the Heather Graham disappearance, I just had a visceral response to the video images of JLM.

PS: I'm not referring to the wearing of dreds by white kids, who are into, you know, alternative culture. And I'm not at all referring to anyone, black or white, who wears dreds because they're into Rastifarian culture or religion. And, to qualify this post even further -- because I'm afraid of potentially being offensive --- my own children are black (we're a multiracial family). So I'm not just talking about the whole "gee, black men on the street alone make me nervous" response that many Caucasians unfortunately have been conditioned to feel. Again, hope my post doesn't offend. But I just think that making his image more "friendly" and "laid back" would be a motivation for LJM to grow dreds. We know he's a grown man who likes to try to pick up drunk teenage college girls (as friends have been quoted LJM like to do).

I thought he likely adopted the dreds (and maybe 40 lbs or so) after the MH composite to alter his appearance......;)

Snowleopard, yes, I have read on here that (according to an aquaintance) he started growing dreds in the year after MH was killed. But there are lots of ways to change your appearance. I just think he chose a particular look that would help him appear friendly and "cool" when approaching girls.

I am double-posting this (originally I posted it in the "Search" thread #4):

The crocs make sense for someone who wants to wash up after a crime: Wade in the water, rinse in the water. Also, JM "always wore those stupid shorts" (as a friend said after viewing video), and JM wore really strangely short pants --- "high-water pants" -- in the Texas convenience store video, too. High water pants, and crocs = a person who wades a lot, and wants to keep shoes and pants free from mud and/or evidence, possibly? Point being: He could clean himself up afterwards, especially in the warmth of September and October, in a lake or stream.

I think the shorts with their pockets contain handy items such as date rape drugs, maybe zip ties.

The thing about Crocs is that if you wear them for sny lenghth of time, the treads wear off and they are slippery!

He must have worn his down quickly cuz of his weight. But maybe he keeps new ones in his car.

IMO, would it be fair to think that JM's crimes were unplanned and opportunistic based on what he was wearing the night Hannah was taken? If pre-planned, wouldn't a perp choose dark clothing? I would think wearing dark clothes would blend better in the night to avoid detection and also would not show blood as blatantly as very light colored clothes would.

He was wearing a burgundy t-shirt and may have worn dark sport pants under his baggy white ones...

I wonder if JLM was a fan of Dexter?

Only reason I'm asking that question is because the star in that series wore the same set of non-descript clothes every time he made a kill.

His clothing was picked to help him blend into a crowd and be forgettable.

From Mike Murillo:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeMurilloWTOP

In addition to #HannahGraham's clothes and phone, police are looking for #JesseMatthew's blue checkered shirt, cargo pants and crocks.#WTOP

Wonder if this means the maroon t-shirt was found?

would he risk driving back home with blood all over his lightly coloured clothes?
too obvious, ditch the light checked shirt & pants.
drive home in dark maroon tshirt, blood not so obvious if stopped & underpants (boxer shorts)

I think he ditched the clothes, that night before he drove home imo

Sorry, forgot the link in my post above. Witnesses told Coy that he was wearing crocs.

IIRC, the store video in Texas showed him wearing a green shirt and what looked like leggings, pants that seemed way too tight/small.

I believe he also was in his sock feet in the TX convenience store video. Didn't look like he was wearing shoes.

From Mike Murillo:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeMurilloWTOP

In addition to #HannahGraham's clothes and phone, police are looking for #JesseMatthew's blue checkered shirt, cargo pants and crocks.#WTOP

Wonder if this means the maroon t-shirt was found?
I have only seen the blue checkered shirt mentioned; can someone link to the existance of the burgundy shirt? I am afraid they are one and the same.

I believe he also was in his sock feet in the TX convenience store video. Didn't look like he was wearing shoes.

the clothes in that video are so odd. I don't think they're his
the trousers look way too short and very..fitted

I also think sock feet

I have only seen the blue checkered shirt mentioned; can someone link to the existance of the burgundy shirt? I am afraid they are one and the same.

it's under his check shirt in that picture in coy barefoot article1205am-300x170.png

Ahhhh, thank you so much!!!! I guess they would have mentioned the burgundy shirt if they hadn't located it.

Not sure where else to post this, but from the pic above that is supposedly taken that night, I can definitely see where WG got his description from (short hair, facial hair).

Not sure where else to post this, but from the pic above that is supposedly taken that night, I can definitely see where WG got his description from (short hair, facial hair).

No way ,he was behind him..following Hannah.

just thinking..have we seen a photograph of his trousers? do we know for sure they were white? could be light grey/blue etc.

I'm having a difficult time reconciling his having the foresight to get rid of his clothing yet keeping that hair when he was on the run. It's so distinctive, and I seriously doubt the woman on the beach would have recognized him if he'd cut it. Vanity is a possibility I suppose.

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or another.....

the clothes in that video are so odd. I don't think they're his
the trousers look way too short and very..fitted

I also think sock feet

Yep I remember the sock feet. The high water sweat pants he was wearing reminds me of someone who had waded in the surf. I live in a small beach town and see this 'look' frequently during the summer. The first thing the tourists do when they arrive is go out and wade in the surf. Those clothes he was wearing would have been comfy for a long drive. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back