GUILTY NY - Leiby Kletzky, 8, Brooklyn, 11 July 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heartbreaking. May this child rest in peace and may his family find peace again.

I have read so many critical comments about the parents letting him walk alone. I would let my almost 9-year-old walk alone for a few blocks down a city street to meet me. It bothers me that so many of us want to blame parents when something terrible happens to a child.

With rare exception child abductions by strangers are sexually motivated.

Oh, here we go, the head injury as a child...:(

Thing is though, LOTS of serial killers DID have head injuries at one time or another. The frontal lobe controls a lot of behaviors, therefore, an injury can wreck havoc with an individual's thinking. I know whereof I speak - my ex husband suffered a head injury and SNAP, just like that, he became a different person - a stranger walked into my house one day and the man I knew was gone.

Thing is though, LOTS of serial killers DID have head injuries at one time or another. The frontal lobe controls a lot of behaviors, therefore, an injury can wreck havoc with an individual's thinking. I know whereof I speak - my ex husband suffered a head injury and SNAP, just like that, he became a different person - a stranger walked into my house one day and the man I knew was gone.

My brother had a traumatic brain injury 18 years ago. It does change someone, and there are rages, incomprehension and inappropriate responses. I don't believe it changes basic right and wrong though. I just don't think a brain injury can be used as a defense for what he did to Leiby.

(My two cents, not a medical opinion)

So awful! We were given a "missing child" flyer in Times Square the other day while visiting NYC and I was stunned to read this news this morning that it was this boy. I feel so sick about it. I had my 8 year old son with me in NYC this week and I cannot even imagine how this family must feel. This man is so sick.

We tell our kids exactly this and the reason for it isnt that Men are bad. Statistically a woman with kids is more likely to stay with your child until the situation is resolved whereas a man will find someone in authority and he's done. These are generalities of course, but its about the best odds. Its from the book "protecting the gift" by Gavin de Becker. All parents and people that deal with children should read this book.

This is the BEST book about children's safety I have ever read. It scares the heck out of you, but gives great advice (like highlighted above).

Leiby's tragedy knows no cultural boundaries.

Chinese Media Coverage:

346058653.jpg

http://twitpic.com/5q18kd

I am not sure who is speaking at the podium, but the inflection and emotion in their voices is just painful to hear.

Levaya (Funeral) of Leiby

[video=youtube;N-dfmlsHgTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-dfmlsHgTM[/video]

uDOObWnzpWw

Something about this that really bothers me is that I think the parents did everything right. A lot of times you can point to something and say "that was the mistake. DON'T do that with your kids!" but this time...I can't do that. I would have thought "OK, we live in this big city, he needs to learn how to navigate it. We are in a safe neighborhood, he's getting older and needs to learn his way, and meeting him half way home is a good baby step." My husband tends to err on the side of more protective than me, and I asked him what he would have done. He said he would have let him walk alone, too, but would have had one of us secretly follow him.
I just can't imagine the guilt and "what if" thoughts going through their heads. But the thing is, how many of us would have let our children at that age do the same thing? It's a wake up call, for sure.

Brooklyn boy tried to fight off creep before he was killed: police

By JAMIE SCHRAM and LARRY CELONA
Last Updated: 12:33 PM, July 14, 2011
Posted: 12:19 PM, July 14, 2011

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said suspect Levi Aron, 35, had scratches on his arms and wrists -- evidence that the boy put up a fight before he was killed.

"There are marks on his body," Kelly said during a news conference this morning.

Kelly said it was "reasonable to say" that the marks are an indication that the 8-year-old tried -- unsucessfully -- to fight Aron off.

This comes as investigators began digging up Aron's yard in an effort to try and uncover more evidence.

Kelly said Kletzky died as a "result of suffocation" and that the boy had been restrained because of marks found on his ankles.
Cops said Aron shaved his beard on Tuesday before going to work at a hardware store where he is a clerk.

Kelly said Aron had "cleaned up" in an effort to alter his appearance.

Etan Patz' father comments on Leiby's tragedy.

A New Horror Recalls Another

By CLYDE HABERMAN

Stanley Patz doesn’t have to imagine. He is all too familiar with the Kletzky family’s pain. He knows that life for them can never be the same. “It’s not as if I have ever gotten back to normal life after my family problem occurred,” he said on Wednesday.

The family problem, as he called it, is the most famous case of a missing child in the history of New York and perhaps the entire country. On May 25, 1979, Etan Patz, 6 years old, left his apartment on Prince Street in SoHo to catch his school bus two blocks away. It was the boy’s first time making the walk alone. He had wanted to do it, and his parents, Stan and Julie Patz, said O.K. They never saw him again.

Etan’s disappearance focused attention on the plague of missing children as no other case had before. His became the face of a movement. It was the first one to appear on a milk carton. In 1983, President Ronald Reagan declared May 25 National Missing Children’s Day. Without question, Mr. Patz said, “the family problem achieved iconic status.”

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/a-new-horror-recalls-another/

Three computers have been recovered from the suspect's house, and they are being examined. Police are also searching the house for more evidence. There is no evidence at this point that the suspect stalked children in the past, Kelly said.

Aron's lawyer, Pierre Bazile, said he expected his client to be arraigned Thursday.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8249647

more at link^^^

My heart breaks every time a child's life is ended, but I have never shed so many tears as I have for little Leiby. May your soul be at rest, sweet boy.

Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said he intends to charge Aron with felony murder. He said investigators are poring over Aron's computer and looking into whether he approached other children in New York and Memphis, Tenn., where he briefly lived.

Kelly said Aron was expected to get a psych exam.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday, Aron's attorney, Pierre Bazile, said at this point, he and his client would allow the judicial process to proceed, and declined further comment.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...Expected-to-Be-Arraigned-Today-125553133.html

I am glad he is getting charged with felony murder (and maybe more as the investigation progresses)

Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said he intends to charge Aron with felony murder. He said investigators are poring over Aron's computer and looking into whether he approached other children in New York and Memphis, Tenn., where he briefly lived.

Kelly said Aron was expected to get a psych exam.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday, Aron's attorney, Pierre Bazile, said at this point, he and his client would allow the judicial process to proceed, and declined further comment.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...Expected-to-Be-Arraigned-Today-125553133.html

I am glad he is getting charged with felony murder (and maybe more as the investigation progresses)

Glad he's getting a psych evaluation because he sounds like he has more than a few screws loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chec0