Rumors: Fact Or Fiction?

I did a little searching and found something which bothers me a little.
It seems the original story from the Tracy Press about the police looking into these 60 people has been removed. I can't find it anywhere on the Web.

http://tracypress.com/content/view/17700/2268/
("File not found")

It's gone from the Protect.org site too. ("Story not currently available.")
http://www.protect.org/Where-are-the-Tracy-60.html

I found this from another message board with the original story link:

http://boards.insessiontrials.com/showthread.php?t=351391

04-03-2009, 04:14 AM
Maelstrom5

Police scrutinize viewers of child *advertiser censored*
http://tracypress.com/content/view/17700/2268/

"Computer-savvy cops in Tracy have identified about 60 people who view or exchange child *advertiser censored*, and police say they get extra attention as investigators search for the missing Sandra Cantu, 8..."

What's bothering me is why this original story which broke the news about the Tracy 60 has vanished...

___

Stories disappear all the time when you have a high profile case. Who knows why? It could be as simple as space for other stories. ;)

I know on our local news sites, stories are dropped from the website frequently.

ETA: I do wish we could keep the Tracy60 talk on that specific thread. It has in no way been connected to this case yet.

Yes, but it seems to be the ONLY story and now it's gone. Every other mention of it on the Web refers to it as the factual source.
At least that's what I've been able to discern from searching so far.
I'm not saying that it is the case in this instance, but another common reason for news outlets to pull something from their websites is because they were wrong.

They are not always up front enough to post a correction or retraction.

After the fictional cat is out of the fabricated bag the original never quite goes away, it just becomes an unattributable 'reliable source'.

I won't go into dreary details, but the second half of my sig. is based on exactly such an episode.

Not to be too picky, but did you notice that the article you linked cites the Tracy Press as their source.

Could that be the Tracy Press article that you can't find anymore?

Yes, I noticed that. And yes, they seem to be referring to that missing article.
The article I linked reads like a secondhand rehash of some of the points from the now-vanished Tracy Press article.

I just can't figure out why the original article (and really the only original source) has been scrubbed from the Internet. Not even a cache left behind.
I can see where LE may not want any more poking around into these 60 alleged child *advertiser censored* collectors, for the sake of their own investigation. I don't believe there are any darker motives involved in suppressing the story. At least I hope there are not!

Yes, I noticed that. And yes, they seem to be referring to that missing article.
The article I linked reads like a secondhand rehash of some of the points from the now-vanished Tracy Press article.

I just can't figure out why the original article (and really the only original source) has been scrubbed from the Internet. Not even a cache left behind.
I can see where LE may not want any more poking around into these 60 alleged child *advertiser censored* collectors, for the sake of their own investigation. I don't believe there are any darker motives involved in suppressing the story. At least I hope there are not!
I have to wonder if perhaps their story had less foundation than the attention of a post-Sandra Cantu Murder media deluge could sustain, especially considering the subsequent revelation of sexual assault in that case.

No matter where the article disappeared to, the people in Tracy are still talking about it. Here is part of a comment posted at the linked article from Tracy Press. It was posted by Saywhat? on Thursday, Apr 16 at 06:06 PM to the article titled "Slideshow: Huckaby's Arraignment".

"....But you know, in this town 60 people are known to the police of downloading and sharing child *advertiser censored*. This continues to be a very dangerous situation for our towns and our nations children. The video's these people watch are violent and disgusting. Recently I read a story out of TX of a woman who downloaded and shared *advertiser censored* of infants, in diapers being raped and screaming for their mothers. The video that was found on the computer of the softball coach was of a little girl getting repeatedly raped by men wearing hoods. This little girl could have been another towns Sandra, someone may have been looking for her and crying for her.

There is talk we have a suspected child *advertiser censored* ring here in our city. As parents we need to find our anger and our hate and demand these people be arrested. "

http://tinyurl.com/d8gf9g

No matter where the article disappeared to, the people in Tracy are still talking about it. Here is part of a comment posted at the linked article from Tracy Press. It was posted by Saywhat? on Thursday, Apr 16 at 06:06 PM to the article titled "Slideshow: Huckaby's Arraignment".

"....But you know, in this town 60 people are known to the police of downloading and sharing child *advertiser censored*. This continues to be a very dangerous situation for our towns and our nations children. The video's these people watch are violent and disgusting. Recently I read a story out of TX of a woman who downloaded and shared *advertiser censored* of infants, in diapers being raped and screaming for their mothers. The video that was found on the computer of the softball coach was of a little girl getting repeatedly raped by men wearing hoods. This little girl could have been another towns Sandra, someone may have been looking for her and crying for her.

There is talk we have a suspected child *advertiser censored* ring here in our city. As parents we need to find our anger and our hate and demand these people be arrested. "

http://tinyurl.com/d8gf9g

OMG, how disgusting. This literally made me nauseous. How sick are these people? Both who make the movies and who watch them. Put them all in jail and throw away the key, please.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back