Found Deceased OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #3 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have been lurking this thread since it started and only now received posting privileges, so I am happy to finally be able to join the discussion (although I wish it were under better circumstances). I felt compelled to post because I am a local. I am from "in town" Metamora, roughly 5-10 min away from where Sierah lived (I'm okay revealing that because I have since moved), and attended Evergreen, same as Sierah and Josh. I was one grade older than them, but my life was touched by both of them. Sierah was in 2 classes with me and was the sweetest soul. Good grades, active in sports and clubs, and an all around gracious and kind person. My mom also worked with Sierah at a job Sierah had just during the summers. When we heard that Sierah's body had been found over the weekend, we were on a family vacation and silently cried together in the middle of a restaurant. Those last little shreds of hope we had were destroyed. We tried not to let it ruin our trip, but the mood was definitely somber the test of the time. In the school musical one year, Josh was my dancing partner and reflected those qualities of Sierah's as well. So sweet and patient, too (I was a terrible dancer LOL). My heart breaks for them- they were so in love. If I'm not mistaken they had been together since middle school, probably age 13. The hardest part of this experience was seeing people try to accuse Josh of being suspicious before JDW was arrested. I had to avoid looking at social media comments because it both enraged me and made me want to cry that people would accuse Josh of hurting her, when if you really knew them, you could literally feel their love radiate when you were near them. I knew he would never, ever hurt Sierah. This whole ordeal has rocked our community. I think of all the times I biked and ran alone on that SAME street all those years and want to break down and cry knowing that creep was there all along. I hate that Sierah had to be sacrificed for him to finally (hopefully) be put to justice. She, her family, Josh, and everyone who loved her did not deserve this. I hope the courts make the right judgement. Sorry for the super long first post- I really have not been able to properly vent my feelings about this situation until now, so thanks for listening :)
Big welcome, thank you for sharing and big hugs to you also.

Exactly. I think #2 is why he waived this hearing. Plus, I'm sure more evidence will come to light in that hearing.

If it's anything like Lucas County, there will not be an actual prelim. If the defendant doesn't waive, the state can dismiss and then issue an original indictment. If they have the hearing, the judge only needs to find probable cause to proceed with the charge. They always find probable cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's anything like Lucas County, there will not be an actual prelim. If the defendant doesn't waive, the state can dismiss and then issue an original indictment. If they have the hearing, the judge only needs to find probable cause to proceed with the charge. They always find probable cause.

Interesting. I was actually surprised that they brought JDW TO the courthouse and didn't do live video hearing, likely knowing that the prelim/pre-trial would just be waived. Other cases I've followed, when the accused is a hated public person, the LE presence to "protect" him is great enough that they do the video feed instead of risking lives.

Another thought...I read an article regarding the 1990 attempted abduction that said he stuck around the scene claiming she had rode her bike in front of him and he wanted to stay until the cops got there. ( can't find the link for it right now) That seems weird to me that he would stick around unless he was overly confident or cocky that he wouldn't get in trouble? Like that he had committed similar crimes in the past and had not gotten caught so he didn't feel threatened by it? It also made me start thinking that maybe the handcuffs used in 1990 were a new "technique" he was trying out and that's why she was able to get free. From a psychological stand point many people that abduct women have a control issue so the handcuffs could have been introduced into his method as just another form of control? Just a thought...

I've wondered about his staying around. Perhaps he knew she could give a good enough description of him/his vehicle that he knew LE would locate him. Maybe he decided he'd rather talk to them on the road rather than have LE arrive on his doorstep. Hiding something, perhaps? Just a thought.

I've wondered about his staying around. Perhaps he knew she could give a good enough description of him/his vehicle that he knew LE would locate him. Maybe he decided he'd rather talk to them on the road rather than have LE arrive on his doorstep. Hiding something, perhaps? Just a thought.

WTOL had a video of the reporter reading the transcript from his 1990 trial. They zoomed in on one of the pages and it said something like, "I was driving my mother's truck". The truck was a red flatbed, something that you would use if you owned a small engine repair business. (Pick up riding lawnmowers, snowmobiles, ect) The sign outside his house is red with yellow lettering, so I would assume this flatbed truck had business lettering on it. And it's very likely that his Mom/Parents still owned the business in 1990. So that could be why he stayed at the scene.

Not well..he is in shock as is everyone. That will keep him going tho thru the funeral and such. He has strong and loving family around him and that includes Sierah's family. He is such a good young man. Those of you that pray, please pray for him

I will.

Maybe Foxfire can elaborate on the potential impact of the Alford plea in the original abduction case ... Admissible or inadmissible in SJ's case when it comes prosecution time?

Whimdriven, I am not a verified Legal Eagle/Attorney, so hopefully one will chime in to answer your question. In my opinion, past crimes only come in during the sentencing phase if the defendant is found guilty..

I don't know where Lori lives and said nothing about her. According to my source, at least one person associated with the Lori Hill case have been notified about his address on Lincoln

I need Steelman to do a map for me of previous post....YOu out there Mapmaster??

If Steelman doesn't drop by give me a shout. I don't mind doing it for you

July 16, 1994
5f433c9214a157cc4ea58c2ee64807cf.png

So similar to his previous crime!!! [emoji16]

About two hours from here. I doubt it was him.

I just thought of something! Has anyone found details about his marijuana cultivation conviction from 2000? I'm wondering...was the grow operation at the house with the barn they have been searching? I know it was speculated that he has lived there a long time going off of court records with that address. If it was at that house I am assuming the police searched everything so if he has been actively murdering for years and possibly keeping souvenirs typical of serial killers you would think LE might have found evidence of that. I am going to try and find dockets from that case to see if it was the county rd 6 address. It's possible the grow op was somewhere else, or maybe he was just involved in it with someone else and not residing at the address the plants were found. Anyone else have opinions on this?

One of the 3 people I know said his interaction with JDW was at that location around 1996 or 1998. The details aren't something I want to discuss now. Maybe if the LE releases more, then I will. Nothing violent. I'll stop there.

Somebody in the last thread actually posted his pic when he was in high school. Looks completely different and he is smiling.

was that in thread #2? I missed that pic and really want to see it. Whitehouse connection. Parties long ago.

It was nothing but click bait by a garbage local news organization.

Oh I totally understand that! Was just commenting that we're from the same area!

I think there are about a half dozen of us locals (counting Sierah's family) on here. And to those: Find comfort in your beliefs and family and friends. It will get easier, in time. Cherish your memories; and the little things like sunrises and sunsets.

Maybe Foxfire can elaborate on the potential impact of the Alford plea in the original abduction case ... Admissible or inadmissible in SJ's case when it comes prosecution time?

The Alford plea has no impact on the admissibility of the prior abduction coming in to the SJ trial. The rules of evidence determine whether or not the previous case will be permitted. The state will argue it shows motive, opportunity, and/or prior calculation and design. The defense will argue admitting it will unfairly prejudice the client.

Help me.... difference between kidnapping and abduction?
And what is the difference in sentence for kidnapping vs abduction, along with 2 counts of assault from the original charges.

Essentially, a "lesser degree of potential harm to the victim."

This section defines a lesser included offense to kidnapping, distinguished mainly by the lesser degree of potential harm to the victim.

http://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/2006/orc/jd_290502-8bb5.html

Kidnapping - http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2905.01

Abduction - http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2905.02

In Ohio, Kidnapping is a 1st Degree Felony; Abduction is a 3rd Degree Felony. Higher degrees carry a greater penalty.

I don't know what degrees these offenses were in Ohio in 1990, other than to say that Abduction was the lesser offense.

As for the penalty ranges, that gets way more complicated in Ohio than my lay brain wants to consider:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2929.14

Roughly, though, a 1st Degree in 1990 may have been 15 to life, whereas the 3rd Degree was 3-10.

I didn't figure in the assault counts because any sentence on those counts would probably have been run concurrent with a sentence for Kidnapping had the original charges resulted in convictions at trial.

Splitting the hairs between the specific elements of Kidnapping and Abduction, is beyond my level of knowledge and I couldn't begin to apply those elements to the facts of the 1990 case.

Nutshell, though, the lesser offense gives prosecutors a tool to bargain with for whatever reasons they opt to bargain for a plea.

There may have been problems with having the evidence to prove the necessary elements of Kidnapping; or the prosecutor's office could have been case overloaded; or one or more of a host of other reasons that could include being lousy trial lawyers, being lazy and opting for the easy way, bargaining with a defense attorney who may have been representing an unrelated client and case that was problematic, a mindset geared toward conviction numbers, and so on.

Only the person who made the decision to bargain the lesser charge could say for sure why; whether those answers are ever completely honest and void of self-serving rationalization is always an unknowable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member