Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #8 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
the way my partner's attorney explained it, the pre emptive strike usually sets the tone for the case. we had a setback but easily got back on course since he took the first strike and mom proved herself to be, well herself. luckily we are from a more equal state. in NC, AW def needs a lawyer pronto.

Look up the process for filing a custody dispute pro se on the courts website. It's not as clear cut as you may think. I hold a Ph.D and had to look it up for my niece and I was at a loss at how to proceed. The instructions are very unclear and confusing and if you get anything wrong the entire set of paper work is thrown out and you have to start over. I've noticed a few people mention that the court will help you. They won't help you. They will answer questions on the process but they can't assist you in filing out the paperwork since they are not attorneys, just clerks.

As for pro bono representation. Good luck being a man and finding that kind of help. It's virtually non-existent, even in larger cities. Men are second class citizens in this country, no one cares about our rights or the problems faced by low-income men. Society was built on the sexist notion that if something bad happens to a man it's his own fault because men shouldn't fail. This is most clearly demonstrated in the family courts. Men go in with the presumption of guilt and that they have an innate lack of parenting skill.

Even in domestic violence situations, if a man is attacked and hurt by his female partner and he calls the police he will still be arrested and carted off to jail in many jurisdictions. It's called the Duluth Model. The Model posits that in any domestic violence situation the man is automatically guilty, even if he is the victim. You're a man and your spouse attacks and harms you, YOU have to leave your home and find other accommodations while the abuser gets to stay in your house, that btw, you are still required to pay mortgage or rent on, with your children. The entire system is stacked against men.

this is true. if you file ex parte then it might get an emergency hearing and it is added last minute. if you file a regular case its weeks out.

In a normal case, attorneys file and the case is put on the calendar for maybe? 4-6 weeks later. And the civil calendar are most likely quite full. Special circumstance cases like this would be an "exception to the rule" so to speak.

JMO

Thanks for verifying this may be what you experienced. Did you see the video of Mariah's brother walking and falling? It is so similar to the toddler in the video I linked.
(OT, And yes, the gorge is amazing. This summer, we went up through Washington, following the Columbia. I had no idea there were canyons, like the Grand Canyon, up north. incredible!)

I did, and I agree totally. I think this is very possibly what Mariah and her brother had.

The canyons are fantastic! I have to say though, none of them beat the Gorge itself. My favourite music venue in the world, and I've been to a lot.

OT but a big part of the Gorge was devastated by a huge forest fire late last summer into September . Fire also jumped to the WA side as well.... :(

That makes me so sad :( It's a beautiful and very natural place there.

I wanted to bring up the dressers again in a way I don't think we discussed before. EK's arrest warrant charges him with breaking into a specific address and stealing 2 dressers with a value of $40. Searching NC public records, the owner of the property lives in Alaska. It looks like it was inherited, not purchased. MSM posted pictures of the property and it looks truly abandoned - it's completely overgrown with vegetation and there are things all around. I don't have the article handy but they described it as completely abandoned with various things thrown throughout the house.

How did LE know the dressers came from that house? Before looking up the property records, I assumed it was "abandoned" but by someone who lives in the area who would know what was in the house and could identify property taken from it. But if the owner is in Alaska, I doubt they know exactly what was in the house on Friday but not on Sunday. Know what I mean? Maybe LE showed or sent pictures of the dressers to everyone in the neighborhood to ask if they were missing a pair of dressers? Still, that seems like a lot of work if it was not connected in some way to the murder. Another possibility is if the dressers were labeled in some way with the address. I'm not sure anyone would actually do that but maybe? Maybe someone saw him carrying the dressers out? Or caught on security camera footage? Just thinking out loud here.

Just a guess but abandoned houses are loved by drug users. It's a place to hang out alone or with fellow users where they can do their thing and less chance of getting caught. This house had a lot of woods surrounding it which would enable someone to walk through the woods and enter unseen. The clothes and papers thrown about bolsters my thoughts on that. I have wondered if the owner had someone check the house when this all started (especially knowing the house would be an ideal spot to dump, hide, etc.). If someone checked they may have seen the dressers there. The person may have gone back there again as the police continued to ask people to check thoroughly and the dressers were gone. More speculation, if EK had a cell phone it could have shown he was there. At first I thought a neighbor may have spotted him but looking at the ariel view it is very wooded. Some houses can't even be seen on the google map. Just an arrow in the middle of woods. I wonder if he had Mariah there for a while before disposing of her. Pure guess but could he have used the dressers when transporting her body as a safety net in case he was stopped by LE. Like he was just moving furniture rather then a blanket that looked like something could be under it? He had to have been paranoid with everything going on. These are just random thoughts swirling in my head.

BBM This is the first reference I've seen to the "days leading up to her disappearance", previously I had only seen where LE was interested in the 26th and 27th (day she was reported missing).

Onslow County Sheriff Office Maj. Chris Thomas said Thursday that the “investigation is ongoing.”
Law enforcement officials have sought information from anyone who had seen Woods and her family on the days leading up to her disappearance. Authorities have asked for the public’s help to solidify a timeline.
The public is asked to call the OCSO at 910-455-3113 if they have information for investigators. Citizens wishing to remain anonymous can call Crimes Stoppers at 910-938-3273. Information can also be anonymously texted via Text-A-Tip by typing TIP4CSJAX and your message to 274637. Crime Stoppers offers rewards up to $2,500 for information deemed helpful to law enforcement

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20171207/investigation-continues-in-toddlers-death

Even if the doors werent locked its not his property to walk into. I am sure that the house is probably one that is frequented by druggies but the cops added it as a charge to keep him. JMO

I may be wrong, but I think the owner lives near the old house, and he may have went over to check to see if the child had gotten in somehow. Noticed that the dressers were gone, and reported it to LE, or checked his own surveillance video and saw EK coming and going and reported him. They'd probably seen the dressers, during the search at EK's trailer, and bingo.

I wanted to bring up the dressers again in a way I don't think we discussed before. EK's arrest warrant charges him with breaking into a specific address and stealing 2 dressers with a value of $40. Searching NC public records, the owner of the property lives in Alaska. It looks like it was inherited, not purchased. MSM posted pictures of the property and it looks truly abandoned - it's completely overgrown with vegetation and there are things all around. I don't have the article handy but they described it as completely abandoned with various things thrown throughout the house.

How did LE know the dressers came from that house? Before looking up the property records, I assumed it was "abandoned" but by someone who lives in the area who would know what was in the house and could identify property taken from it. But if the owner is in Alaska, I doubt they know exactly what was in the house on Friday but not on Sunday. Know what I mean? Maybe LE showed or sent pictures of the dressers to everyone in the neighborhood to ask if they were missing a pair of dressers? Still, that seems like a lot of work if it was not connected in some way to the murder. Another possibility is if the dressers were labeled in some way with the address. I'm not sure anyone would actually do that but maybe? Maybe someone saw him carrying the dressers out? Or caught on security camera footage? Just thinking out loud here.

Maybe when LE was searching the premises, they found papers in these dressers that had name and addresses on them. Such as old utility bills.

thanks for sharing.

my partner's ex always ran with "hes an active alcoholic!" and the first custody battle they believed her because 1. he had had a DUI 20 years before when he was 21 and 2. he was angry due to the recent divorce due to her infidelity, angry that the court was having HIM jump through hoops and initially refused to test for alcohol.

she tried the same tactics the second time. he had a lawyer this time. the lawyer told him to just jump through the hoops. he tested. he took the classes. SHE then proceeded to show her entire *advertiser censored* because things didn't go her way at all this time around. the judge had her number.

moral of story: be honest, jump through the hoops. if you are a dad, get a lawyer.

It is hard to make sense of all the leaked docs. From what I gather these are the unsubstantiated claims made by the bio dad. So if the kids were able to describe the drugs or how they were consumed or the actions they witnessed, Dad might've labeled them properly on the report. I really thought it said something about EKs known drug use per KW consisting of pot, heroin and meth. I'd have to see it again.

So. My personal story is that I reported to DCFS that my son's father had broken my arm. The lady took my statement. I could see my young self offering up that the man was known to me to use Heroin, Cocaine, Pot and Meth. In reality he was a recovered/ing H addict and I had not, to my knowledge, ever witnessed him using or under the influence. I witnessed some cocaine use early in our relationship (up to 2-3 years prior) and while I railed against it and him for using it at first, I later used it with him on at least one occasion. We both were daily pot smokers. One time, and only one time that I was ever aware of, in the prior year, when we were out of pot, he got his hands on some "high speed chicken feed" as he called it. I understood it to be meth. He did it without telling me and I could tell he was on some upper of some sort. He refused to share (bless his heart in hindsight). I don't know if I did report some or any drug use at the time, but I'm throwing this out there to show that saying a person is "known to use" something doesn't mean they are a hardcore user.

I remember when the lady came back a day or two later. "You told me he broke your arm", she said. "He did", I said, indignant. "You didn't tell me he pushed you and it broke when you fell.". Well, yeah, that's how it happened. I hadn't been deliberately deceitful. She must not have asked for details (I know I didn't lie and say he grabbed me when he didn't). I have been very careful ever since to refer to the time my arm broke during an argument, not the time he broke my arm. The case came back unsubstantiated in family court. Criminal charges went forward for the broken arm. They tried to make a felony stick, but since the 1 year old was in his crib for the physical part, and did not witnessed it, it remained a misdemeanor offense. He pled guilty and got probation. The judge ordered no contact for a year. I wrote the judge a 4 page letter begging for it to be lifted. The court did lift the no contact order, but then the stars aligned and he didn't pursue contact after that. I got better for my kiddo with lots of family support and that now seems like a different lifetime (and it was, in fact many many years ago).

But it all happened within a few miles of where Mariah lived her short little life.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but...
http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/20170924/in-nc-child-killings-can-carry-little-or-no-prison-time

Highlights:

[FONT=&quot]Of 120 child deaths that the Observer examined, including William Yates, authorities ruled 31 as homicides or other unlawful killings. Three child deaths resulted in life sentences for the parent or caregiver; other sentences were short or had no prison time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Observer found failures in the state’s child welfare system that included missed signs of abuse or neglect by social workers, medical professionals, law enforcement and others. The state has fallen woefully behind in reviewing child deaths, which is meant to help prevent future mistakes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Child advocates say state leaders need to do more to prevent abuse from happening in the first place. But for many of the children already lost, justice can be elusive because of the nature of child abuse cases.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Peter Strickland, a Moore County prosecutor, says the parent or guardian is often the only witness to the death. In many cases, the children who died had several caregivers, making it difficult to prove who was at fault. Weapons are rarely involved.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“You just kind of have to use the physical evidence and diagnose the cause of death. It’s not always easy to prove,” Strickland said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is also the emotional component. Often, the accused did not intend to kill the child, and prosecutors are reluctant to seek harsh punishment, said Tom Vitaglione, a senior fellow at NC Child, an advocacy and policy group based in Raleigh.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“There’s great empathy and sympathy for that, so they don’t want to go any further unless it is a clear case,” Vitaglione said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The result, in many cases, are plea agreements with lesser charges, such as involuntary manslaughter.[/FONT]

This is terrible. Something smells rotten in North Carolina.

You know that really stood out to me, though. I know a lot about drugs because of the way and the things I grew up around. I'm sure I know so much that people who don't know me look at me sideways. Lol.

But my thoughts were that he either described them and identified them using pictures or that he actually knew what they were. Either is heartbreaking. He shouldn't know anything about them except "say no thank you". At his age his thoughts should be bicycles, catching frogs and playing video games.

I've known kids who knew what some drugs were, and fairly young. Most folks I knew, did not have children, or didn't do anything in front of their kids, but, may have had a child walk in on them (forgot to lock the bathroom door). My eldest told me they learned the most about what drugs were, and what they looked like, from the task force program, that came into their elementary school. It was intended to teach them to avoid drugs... :facepalm:

It is hard to make sense of all the leaked docs. From what I gather these are the unsubstantiated claims made by the bio dad. So if the kids were able to describe the drugs or how they were consumed or the actions they witnessed, Dad might've labeled them properly on the report. I really thought it said something about EKs known drug use per KW consisting of pot, heroin and meth. I'd have to see it again.

So. My personal story is that I reported to DCFS that my son's father had broken my arm. The lady took my statement. I could see my young self offering up that the man was known to me to use Heroin, Cocaine, Pot and Meth. In reality he was a recovered/ing H addict and I had not, to my knowledge, ever witnessed him using or under the influence. I witnessed some cocaine use early in our relationship (up to 2-3 years prior) and while I railed against it and him for using it at first, I later used it with him on at least one occasion. We both were daily pot smokers. One time, and only one time that I was ever aware of, in the prior year, when we were out of pot, he got his hands on some "high speed chicken feed" as he called it. I understood it to be meth. He did it without telling me and I could tell he was on some upper of some sort. He refused to share (bless his heart in hindsight). I don't know if I did report some or any drug use at the time, but I'm throwing this out there to show that saying a person is "known to use" something doesn't mean they are a hardcore user.

I remember when the lady came back a day or two later. "You told me he broke your arm", she said. "He did", I said, indignant. "You didn't tell me he pushed you and it broke when you fell.". Well, yeah, that's how it happened. I hadn't been deliberately deceitful. She must not have asked for details (I know I didn't lie and say he grabbed me when he didn't). I have been very careful ever since to refer to the time my arm broke during an argument, not the time he broke my arm. The case came back unsubstantiated in family court. Criminal charges went forward for the broken arm. They tried to make a felony stick, but since the 1 year old was in his crib for the physical part, and did not witnessed it, it remained a misdemeanor offense. He pled guilty and got probation. The judge ordered no contact for a year. I wrote the judge a 4 page letter begging for it to be lifted. The court did lift the no contact order, but then the stars aligned and he didn't pursue contact after that. I got better for my kiddo with lots of family support and that now seems like a different lifetime (and it was, in fact many many years ago).

But it all happened within a few miles of where Mariah lived her short little life.

BBM
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad that everything worked out for you and your kids. I can see where the case may be similar with this family.

I'm not sure of the first name spelling, but Shaylynn Ammerman. There were a lot of negative judgments made about them from their media appearances (their clothing, smoking a cigarette, etc). It turned out to be a guy who was in their home earlier that day, a 'family friend', who took Shaylynn...the door to the home was left open, baby was sleeping in the lounge. That's the one that stands out for me, but I'm not as familiar with as many cases as a lot of the posters here.

Also, you might be interested in the UK documentary called Crocodile Tears, which should be found on YouTube, and I really need to re-watch that one, because when I saw that about a year ago it was like watching people doing magic to hear the analysis and how it fit.

She also called her an Angel and loved her to death.

I'm behind on posts but comapny's about to arrive and I just wanted to say that in defense of myself and my fellow sleuthers in Shaylynn's case msm interviewed the dad and grandma early on and they said little about the man who was at the house who took Shaylynn. Eventually the dad said he thought he saw the man leaving early in the morning, carrying something and thought he saw a foot - like he wasn't sure his friend had taken Shaylynn. And after the perp was caught LE executed some search warrants on the dad's house and social media accounts so they may have had some suspicions. I add that nothing was ever released about the results and no one in the family has ever been named a POI or arrested so I think LE didn't find anything suspicious.

And in the case Tricia mentioned, the dad had a prior SA assault charge on his oldest daughter and another girl that he pled down so technically he was never convicted for it. That's what made some of us suspect him. Again, he was innocent so yeah, it's not always what it appears.

Company's here, gotta go, I just wanted to point that out.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but why did MW need leg braces? Was it from a birth defect? Could this defect have been caused by her mom taking drugs while pregnant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if this has already been discussed but why did MW need leg braces? Was it from a birth defect? Could this defect have been caused by her mom taking drugs while pregnant?

I haven't a clue what her leg abnormality was exactly. There was a discussion a page or few back about it. However it would almost positively not have been caused by illicit drug use. Abnormalities or birth defects involving the hips, legs and feet are almost always hereditary and are more common in girls. They're also seen often in women with a small uterus or low amneotic fluid.

Some prescription medications have been known to cause physical deformities, (but we are talking major deformities like missing limbs and these drugs aren't used anymore.)

Street drugs mostly effect neonates' brains, face, lungs and there is speculation about eyes and ears.

I haven't a clue what her leg abnormality was exactly. There was a discussion a page or few back about it. However it would almost positively not have been caused by illicit drug use. Abnormalities or birth defects involving the hips, legs and feet are almost always hereditary and are more common in girls. They're also seen often in women with a small uterus or low amneotic fluid.

Some prescription medications have been known to cause physical deformities, (but we are talking major deformities like missing limbs and these drugs aren't used anymore.)

Street drugs mostly effect neonates' brains, face, lungs and there is speculation about eyes and ears.
There's been lot of discussion about Turners Syndrome so I thought I'd post a link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_syndrome

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I know it's off-topic but I thought all of you would be interested in this. Steven Tyler of Aerosmith opened a home today in Georgia for abused girls. He spoke of when he was in rehab years ago and he learned that most of the ladies in there with him suffered horrific abuse in their youth which contributed to their drug abuse later in life.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cel...abused-girls/ar-BBGpd5h?li=AA2qN5v&ocid=ientp

Has there been any news about the custody hearing that was supposed to take place today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member