Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just doesn’t seem right to me to be offering sympathy and condolences when his son is currently continuing to put the Closs family through an extremely stressful situation by proceeding to trial. His Father knows that some members of the Closs family did not appreciate him writing a letter and he should respect this.

Do you have a link for the Closs family saying that? If so, can you please post it? TIA. PP should not be put on blast for something his adult son did, he is the , not PP in my opinion. Hell if we're going to victim shame, why not shame JP's mom too? SMH

Well.... Not sure if you heard about the SLP case? Not as gruesome, but just as gut wrenching. Two men are in jail for this one. And the details in the Criminal Complaint are horrifying. To put it mildly. I'm not sure if this is OT to the question you asked? Feel free to disregard as I don't want to give anyone nightmares:

Found Safe - TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #4 *ARRESTS*

IMO JMO + Link :)
I had not seen this case. I am speechless. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??

It's true that our victim friendly policy extends to PP. I don't think Greg or anyone means to be victim shaming. Not one of us knows what we would do in the Dad's situation. Personally I would back off if I were him - I THINK. I Don't Know! It's OK to be unsure how to feel about him contacting the victim's family or to disagree with it.
I hope we can be respectful to each other as well as to those actually suffering the grief and loss of it all.
Cheers. & JMO

Do you have a link for the Closs family saying that? If so, can you please post it? TIA. PP should not be put on blast for something his adult son did, he is the , not PP in my opinion. Hell if we're going to victim shame, why not shame JP's mom too? SMH

The family of Jayme Closs has 'no desire for any contact' with killer and abductor Jake Patterson's father who claims to have written a note that he wishes to give them.

Speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com Jayme's aunt Jennifer Smith responded to the wish allegedly expressed by Patrick Patterson after he attended his son's first court appearance at Barron County Circuit Court.

She said: 'I have no desire to have any contact with that family at the moment. I don't really know how to respond to that or how to react.

'I'm not looking at social media or anything like that and I haven't heard anything about a note.

'Right now all I'm focusing on is looking after Jayme. That's all that matters, just having her home and looking after her.'

Jayme Closs' family has 'no desire for any contact' with kidnapper's father | Daily Mail Online

The family of Jayme Closs has 'no desire for any contact' with killer and abductor Jake Patterson's father who claims to have written a note that he wishes to give them.

Speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com Jayme's aunt Jennifer Smith responded to the wish allegedly expressed by Patrick Patterson after he attended his son's first court appearance at Barron County Circuit Court.

She said: 'I have no desire to have any contact with that family at the moment. I don't really know how to respond to that or how to react.

'I'm not looking at social media or anything like that and I haven't heard anything about a note.

'Right now all I'm focusing on is looking after Jayme. That's all that matters, just having her home and looking after her.'

Jayme Closs' family has 'no desire for any contact' with kidnapper's father | Daily Mail Online

Quite simply, I ask . . . what family of a crime perpetrator has NOT felt tremendous guilt and sympathy over the outcome of their loved ones actions?

The site frowns on “anecdotes” but I will share that a friend’s son was murdered and it took years to track down the killers. About a year after the hearings (where all parties were found guilty), my friend expressed that the primary killer had reached out to her family through the DA’s office and wanted to communicate, explain the circumstances of the incident.

My friend was willing to receive the letter, her husband wanted nothing to do with it. She received the correspondence and asked me to read the letter. We sat in my back yard on a beautiful day when I read the letter and it was extremely heartfelt and honestly, heart breaking. It was a robbery gone wrong and never the intention to cause harm. But it did. Her son was killed. She was left feeling more at peace yet not a day goes by that she doesn’t grieve her loss.

For the Closs family, they are just trying to find a new normal. This crime is too recent, too fresh. I’m certain that PP feels extreme sorrow and remorse over his son’s actions BUT this isn’t about making him feel better right now. This is about making the process as painless as possible for JC. There is no resolution in hearing what PP had to say.

Regarding the compassion and gratitude recently expressed by PP to JC and family, I believe it important to put the entire context of the exchange in one post. It seems to me that there's been far to much misinformation about the exchange and family response. And I'd like to see any outrage directed to the "click bait headlines" and media if you must!

Jan 14, 2019 - three days following Jayme's rescue, PP, JP's father, attended the initial hearing at the Barron Justice Center. Approached by the media, he could hardly get the words out that he wanted to pass a note to the Closs’ family, as CNN reported. On the verge of tears, Patrick Patterson declined an interview but said “All I care about right now is Jayme’s family.”

Following the hearing, and speaking exclusively with the Daily Mail, Jayme's Aunt was questioned about the content of PP's note. Clearly caught off guard by the reporters inquiry, she responded that "she didn't know anything about a note," and "she had no desire to have any contact with that family at the moment... Right now, all I'm focusing on is looking after Jayme."

Seeking the scoop on CNN's sound bite, Denise Closs' father, (and Jayme's grandfather), was also contacted by the AP. He was very clear with his response -- stating that "he appreciates the sympathy being expressed by the suspect’s father"... “You can’t blame the parents,” Naiberg told The Associated Press. “A guy becomes 21 years old, and sometimes it’s not how he was raised or anything.”

Feb 6, 2019 - After Wednesday's preliminary hearing, PP again refused reporters questions, but provided the following statement (25 second sound) exclusively to GMA/ABC:

"I most definitely want Jayme's family to know, everyone to know that our hearts are broken for their family," Patterson said. "I would like to humbly ask people to pray for a complete healing of Jayme's heart, mind, and soul. And I would also ask for people to pray for that for their entire family. I'm very sorry for everything that has happened."

"I would like to thank the federal, local and state authorities for their professional and respectful way in which they have treated me and my family," Patrick Patterson said. "I would also like to thank the media for the way in which they've been patient and understanding with this difficult matter. It has been a very difficult time for us."

‘You can’t blame the parents’: Jayme Closs’ grandfather appreciates kidnapper’s father sympathy
Patterson's father: Pray for Jayme Closs and her family

Last edited:
Aside from the grief that the Closs family is experiencing, quite frankly, I just cannot imagine the grief that the killer's family must also be experiencing. Why so tough on the killer's loved ones? They are not responsible for JP's actions. The man is an adult of legal age, and the parents really had no control over his thoughts, choices, and actions. They too have lost a loved one, albeit in a different way. Even if they may have known JP had some kind of mental issues, I understand through reading that help is not always easy to come by, and is certainly not easy to foist upon someone who may not want, or feel a need for help (not saying this is the case, just that that's how it is). This is just a horrible situation for everyone, I just don't see a need to be so down on JP's father. He's damned if he speaks and damned if he doesn't, for reaching out to the victim's family, and for not apologizing. Imagine how you would feel if you suddenly learned that your offspring did such a thing? There were many victims to this horrible crime, including the officers, EMTs, pathologists, etc., that were forced, as part of their jobs, to see what can never be unseen. A little compassion goes a long way, there's no reason why it can't be extended to all affected parties, and to do so does not lessen the compassion felt for the Closs family. jmo.

Thank you so much for the link as I don't read Daily Mail. If what they print is true, then yes PP should respect the families wishes. JLC has went through way too much. I pray daily for her and the families. Hopefully JP goes ahead and pleads guilty and spares JLC any more traumas. Bless her.

It's true that our victim friendly policy extends to PP. I don't think Greg or anyone means to be victim shaming. Not one of us knows what we would do in the Dad's situation. Personally I would back off if I were him - I THINK. I Don't Know! It's OK to be unsure how to feel about him contacting the victim's family or to disagree with it.
I hope we can be respectful to each other as well as to those actually suffering the grief and loss of it all.
Cheers. & JMO

Thank you for posting this, and I agree, none of us know how we would feel and hopefully none of us ever will.

I’m thinking of the “defense” of JP. What sort of defense case will his lawyers present since he’s already essentially confessed? In discussing the case with the lawyers, would PP not ask for their advice regarding appropriate action, especially with a network appearance? Did ABC contact PP directly or his lawyers?

I’m thinking out of the box here, not just taking what he said at surface value because some decision making went on behind the scenes in order for this interview to take place. Putting a human face on JP isn’t a bad idea, is it? I’m not doubting that PP is sincere, but it was a major step to appear on Good Morning America.
Exactly my thoughts! I did not watch the dad's appearance, and it sounds like he was fine in what he said. However, there is a good possibility that the lawyers wanted this appearance to, as you say, try for sympathy for their client's side of the family and to put a more human face on the monstrous son. I think enough is enough, and that the Closs family don't need to see this! I have zero sympathy for JP and only a tad for his family, if they are innocent in all this. All my sympathies go to Jayme Closs, the real victim! Furthermore, JP's dad should NOT be sending anything to the Closs lawyers or the family directly! It is in poor taste and no doubt unwanted by them. He should've made one brief statement in public and left it at that.

I agree completely with J's Aunt! She handled this question very well. That is all that should be focussed on, her niece. JP's dad should leave it alone.

I so want to give JP's dad the benefit of the doubt that he is sincere with his words. But I feel like there's something off about his statement that I can't quite figure out. And it bothers me that this statement was made after PP, KP and EP had met with JP's defense attorneys in a conference room of the courthouse. Maybe it's sincere, IDK. :confused:
Sincere or not, JP's dad should've made one written public statement or lowkey local statement in front of reporters; and NOT go on nationwide network tv or send anything to the Closs family or their reps.

He can do and say whatever he wants after his son pleads guilty.
Your post isn't unpopular for me at all. I feel the very same way. LE totally dropped the ball on way more than the maroon car. I think that my opinion at this time would be exceptionally unpopular so I've been sitting on my hands at this time. I think that some things could be totally impossible for people to accept.
I agree one hundred percent. You would think that once LE got to the house and saw the crime scene, that the cop who saw the getaway car would immediately report it and 2 of them follow up by trying to follow it. I would certainly be suspicious, as it was a quiet night for traffic from what I know. I know JP pulled over for them, but were there ANY other cars passing by? If not, I know I for one would be mighty suspicious and alert to that one car!

Quite simply, I ask . . . what family of a crime perpetrator has NOT felt tremendous guilt and sympathy over the outcome of their loved ones actions?

The site frowns on “anecdotes” but I will share that a friend’s son was murdered and it took years to track down the killers. About a year after the hearings (where all parties were found guilty), my friend expressed that the primary killer had reached out to her family through the DA’s office and wanted to communicate, explain the circumstances of the incident.

My friend was willing to receive the letter, her husband wanted nothing to do with it. She received the correspondence and asked me to read the letter. We sat in my back yard on a beautiful day when I read the letter and it was extremely heartfelt and honestly, heart breaking. It was a robbery gone wrong and never the intention to cause harm. But it did. Her son was killed. She was left feeling more at peace yet not a day goes by that she doesn’t grieve her loss.

For the Closs family, they are just trying to find a new normal. This crime is too recent, too fresh. I’m certain that PP feels extreme sorrow and remorse over his son’s actions BUT this isn’t about making him feel better right now. This is about making the process as painless as possible for JC. There is no resolution in hearing what PP had to say.

Thank you so much for the link as I don't read Daily Mail. If what they print is true, then yes PP should respect the families wishes. JLC has went through way too much. I pray daily for her and the families. Hopefully JP goes ahead and pleads guilty and spares JLC any more traumas. Bless her.

I do not think PP making a statement publicly disrespects the family’s wishes. I do think he is sincere and a victim here as well. As a parent, I know I would be crushed if one of my children committed the crimes JP did. I would feel responsible and want to apologize and do whatever I could for the family of my child’s victims. No, I do t think the family of JC has to open him withnopen arms or anything like that. I do think we, as strangers to the individuals in this case, need to treat him as a victim and respect him as well as JC’s family. JMO MOO

RSBM
She received the correspondence and asked me to read the letter. We sat in my back yard on a beautiful day when I read the letter and it was extremely heartfelt and honestly, heart breaking. It was a robbery gone wrong and never the intention to cause harm. But it did. Her son was killed. She was left feeling more at peace yet not a day goes by that she doesn’t grieve her loss.

I respectfully add one more piece to your story. It is also possible that the lawyers are advising the PP family, in any, and all manner of, contact. Their son/brother/kin, is going away for life. The inevitable 'humanizing' of JP, is only meant to soften our view of JP.

As long as he makes a plea of guilty, avoiding a trial, will their guidance prove helpful. It sure has not been successful up to now. That is a true shame. This boy needed help. He needed care. He needed to know that you just don't go around acting like a warrior.

All those what if's? What if he had received more guidance, and care? Would a loving mother, and father, be alive today? Would their daughter have avoided 88 nights, and days, of terror?

Jayme is her own warrior. She faced the enemy, and won. It was a costly victory, for all involved, yet JC will have a wonderful life. I just feel it in my heart.

Sincere or not, JP's dad should've made one written public statement or lowkey local statement in front of reporters; and NOT go on nationwide network tv or send anything to the Closs family or their reps.
And others said earlier (before they had made any public statement) that they needed to apologize publicly, on camera. They cannot win.

I do not think PP making a statement publicly disrespects the family’s wishes. I do think he is sincere and a victim here as well. As a parent, I know I would be crushed if one of my children committed the crimes JP did. I would feel responsible and want to apologize and do whatever I could for the family of my child’s victims. No, I do t think the family of JC has to open him withnopen arms or anything like that. I do think we, as strangers to the individuals in this case, need to treat him as a victim and respect him as well as JC’s family. JMO MOO

If you backread this thread you can see that I have been quite vocal in defense of PP. However, I respect others opinions. It would be a very boring world if everyone agreed 100% of the time. IMO. :) So for ME, it's time to move on from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard