CA - Earthquake - 6.4 foreshock; 7.1 main shock, 4 July, 2019 - Largest since 1999

I'm making the pets their own bag. That's going to be easier.

I was watching ABC7 news live on youtube, on my TV through my xbox. I have a sick little boy so I was stuck on the couch while he slept on me anyway. Normally I don't sit down long enough to watch anything.
I hope your little guy feels better soon!

Actually never heard of the Landers quake!

I looked the other day to see how many quakes Latvia has had. None in the last year. That's good to know! I'm on the Euroasian plate.

If you want to take a deeper dive into emergency preparedness, the Listening to Katrina website is about a family's experience with hurricane Katrina and the lessons learned from it. The lessons apply to more than just hurricanes. It's a long read. Basically the author decided to make his experience available online rather than publish a book.

This guy is prepared (now). He does family fire drills in the middle of the night and times how long it takes for him to get out of his bedroom window and run to his daughter's bedroom window. She is unable to open her own window, so he has a plan for something to use to break her window.

The blog portion of the site is raw and comes with this warning: "PAGES IN THIS BLOG ARE RATED 'R' AND DO CONTAIN PROFANITY, VULGARITY, GRAPHIC VIOLENCE, NUDITY, SCENES OF HUMAN EMOTION, DEATH, DESTRUCTION, MAYHEM, AND VARIOUS INDESCRIBABLE HORRORS."

In addition to the blog, the site has instructions, worksheets and projects to help you prepare. What would you need if you had to relocate from a disaster (hurricane, nuclear meltdown, etc.) and had to get a new job? Having a 3-day supply of canned food won't be sufficient.

Actually never heard of the Landers quake!

I looked the other day to see how many quakes Latvia has had. None in the last year. That's good to know! I'm on the Euroasian plate.
It's one that gets overlooked because it happened in an area that isn't highly populated. Had it happened in a populated area, it would have been worse than the Northridge quake

We just had a day that included 2 tornado warnings (yesterday). Here in NJ, they are rare, but occurring more often. There was one in my town about a month ago as well and I was driving when the alert came through on my phone. Not a fun ride back to my house. They are indeed scary.

We have also experienced earthquakes (one where the epicenter was in Virginia), and my bird feeders were swaying in all directions.
I remember the one that occurred in Virginia in 2011!
I was in NY sitting on my couch and my daughter was playing on the floor with her trains.
All of a sudden there was this really strange vibration. There was a slight shuddering in the house and my daughter and I looked at each other and said "what was that?"
Then she went back to playing and I went back to watching my movie.
I didn't even think of an earthquake because we rarely have them, although in the city there were buildings swaying.

I didn't even find out it was really an earthquake until several days later, when we went to a lake and heard several people talking about it.

That's my one big experience with an earthquake.

Except when I was in California in a hotel, and that time I thought a truck hit the building but then I went back to sleep.

I was in NY sitting on my couch and my daughter was playing on the floor with her trains.
All of a sudden there was this really strange vibration. There was a slight shuddering in the house and my daughter and I looked at each other and said "what was that?"
I didn't even think of an earthquake because we rarely have them, although in the city there were buildings swaying.

I didn't even find out it was really an earthquake until several days later, when we went to a lake and heard several people talking about it.

Except when I was in California in a hotel, and that time I thought a truck hit the building but then I went back to sleep.
Here's the info about it. I didn't realize it was as strong as that.

2011 Virginia earthquake. On August 23, 2011, a magnitude 5.8 earthquake hit the Piedmont region of the Commonwealth of Virginia, United States, at 1:51:04 p.m. EDT. ... It was an intraplate earthquake with a maximum perceived intensity of VII (Very strong) on the Mercalli intensity scale.

I don't know why, but I knew what it was while it was happening. My sun catchers were rattling and make some lamps strangely swayed a bit too. NJ/NY are actually on a smaller fault line, and we have had a few small ones. Nothing to compare to CA for sure. I'm sorry for the folks there who have to deal with this.

Ironically, about a week later, we had a strong hurricane (Irene) come in and I had to go to the shore to tape up my windows of my shore condo. It felt surreal, because NJ rarely has dangerous hurricanes come ashore either. This was before Superstorm Sandy.

PS - you seem to be able to sleep through a lot. :)

Last edited:
Here's the info about it. I didn't realize it was as strong as that.

2011 Virginia earthquake. On August 23, 2011, a magnitude 5.8 earthquake hit the Piedmont region of the Commonwealth of Virginia, United States, at 1:51:04 p.m. EDT. ... It was an intraplate earthquake with a maximum perceived intensity of VII (Very strong) on the Mercalli intensity scale.

I don't know why, but I knew what it was while it was happening. My sun catchers were rattling and make some lamps strangely swayed a bit too. NJ/NY are actually on a smaller fault line, and we have had a few small ones. Nothing to compare to CA for sure. I'm sorry for the folks there who have to deal with this.

Ironically, about a week later, we had a strong hurricane (Irene) come in and I had to go to the shore to tape up my windows of my shore condo. It felt surreal, because NJ rarely has dangerous hurricanes come ashore either. This was before Superstorm Sandy.

PS - you seem to be able to sleep through a lot. :)
Yes, I remember they said that earthquake was felt by more people in the US than any other. About one-third of the population felt it, from Maine to Georgia. And parts of Canada as well.

I didn't realize Hurricane Irene was just a week later. That was devastating. There was "historic flooding" in NY and parts of the thruway were shut down. I remember watching the trees sway. I never knew they could bend so much!
I didn't sleep through that one, though.
My daughter, however, could sleep through a bomb going off in the house. Very scary.

One tough Mama evacuates twice with two special needs sons. She’s moving away.

A California mom fled the quakes with her special-needs sons -- twice. Now she says 'I'm done' - CNN

She's only moving to Ridgecrest! I would be moving away as in out of state. She's sure brave. Has a cute little guy too.

We had one when I was about 12. I think it was like a 5.0?

My Mom, on the toilet.
My Dad, asleep in bed.
Me, having breakfast.
My little brother?
I don't know where he was, so he's not relevant to the story.

Earthquake happens and I thought something crashed into the house. Now, a vehicle on the road crashing into our house that hard would be a REAL challenge. We have pastures on either side with fences, huge trees, a ditch out front and at the time no road across the street. They would have to make a 90 degree turn and aim for us.

So I LOGICALLY thought a plane had hit the house. They fly over and cut their engines while training new pilots! So I went running outside to check.

Meanwhile, my Dad is still asleep.

My Mom is screaming at him from the toilet.

Dad can't hear Mom over his own snoring.

Where was my brother, seriously? No clue. Well he survived wherever he was.

Somehow I ended up being the one who hasn't lived this down, because I thought a plane hit the house! I wasn't the one who slept through it or rode it out on the porcelain throne! :rolleyes:

She's only moving to Ridgecrest! I would be moving away as in out of state. She's sure brave. Has a cute little guy too.

My Mom, on the toilet.
My Dad, asleep in bed.
Me, having breakfast.
My little brother?

Earthquake happens and I thought something crashed into the house. Now, a vehicle on the road crashing into our house that hard would be a REAL challenge. We have pastures on either side with fences, huge trees, a ditch out front and at the time no road across the street. They would have to make a 90 degree turn and aim for us.

So I LOGICALLY thought a plane had hit the house. They fly over and cut their engines while training new pilots! So I went running outside to check.

Somehow I ended up being the one who hasn't lived this down, because I thought a plane hit the house! I wasn't the one who slept through it or rode it out on the porcelain throne! :rolleyes:
That's funny. It does sound and feel like a large truck (or even plane) hit the house or building in some cases.
It's like a huge jolt that you can both feel and hear.

That's what it felt like when I was at the hotel. Then again it was right on the corner of a busy road in Los Angelos.

So to a 12 year old, using the logic that the house is surrounded by fields and there are lots of planes flying over head, that makes the most sense!

Rsbm

My Mom, on the toilet.
My Dad, asleep in bed.
Me, having breakfast.
My little brother?

That’s funny! My Mom (78 at the time) rode out the 6.9 Loma Prieta quake in Oakland CA on her toilet. She said the waves were splashing her! :D Meanwhile, I was in Oregon frantically trying to reach her, convinced she’d been buried in the rubble of her 10 story building. When the phones finally worked and I got through, she was laughing about her experience.

We had been about to watch the World Series on TV when the quake hit and the picture disappeared. It took a few minutes to find out what had happened and see pictures of the Nimitz freeway collapse in Oakland. That’s why I figured my Mom’s building had collapsed too. That quake was horrible.

1989 Loma Prieta earthquake - Wikipedia

That's funny. It does sound and feel like a large truck (or even plane) hit the house or building in some cases.
It's like a huge jolt that you can both feel and hear.

That's what it felt like when I was at the hotel. Then again it was right on the corner of a busy road in Los Angelos.

So to a 12 year old, using the logic that the house is surrounded by fields and there are lots of planes flying over head, that makes the most sense!

Update, after looking at historical data and finding the earthquake in question.

Apparently I was only 7 when the earthquake happened. So we'd only been in this house for 2 months! My brother was only 14 months old.

No wonder I had no idea what was going on. So I guess my brother slept through it too? Geez. My family is nuts. :rolleyes:

Update, after looking at historical data and finding the earthquake in question.

Apparently I was only 7 when the earthquake happened. So we'd only been in this house for 2 months! My brother was only 14 months old.

No wonder I had no idea what was going on. So I guess my brother slept through it too? Geez. My family is nuts. :rolleyes:
Well, that would explain why you have no memory of where your brother was or what he was doing!

That’s funny! My Mom (78 at the time) rode out the 6.9 Loma Prieta quake in Oakland CA on her toilet. She said the waves were splashing her! :D Meanwhile, I was in Oregon frantically trying to reach her, convinced she’d been buried in the rubble of her 10 story building. When the phones finally worked and I got through, she was laughing about her experience.

We had been about to watch the World Series on TV when the quake hit and the picture disappeared. It took a few minutes to find out what had happened and see pictures of the Nimitz freeway collapse in Oakland. That’s why I figured my Mom’s building had collapsed too. That quake was horrible.

1989 Loma Prieta earthquake - Wikipedia

Oh I remember the Loma Prieta one!! :eek::eek:
I was living with my boyfriend at the time on the 2nd floor - I got out of there quick! And stayed on the grass area until I felt it was okay. The TV had ALMOST fallen off the table - whew! But no damage. I was in Mtn. View at the time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back