Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #116

Status
Not open for further replies.
I simply don't buy that the girls went there because it was a day off from school. Seems to me more likely that they would want to go to the mall or something like that....unless they believed something was going on out there that day. JMO.
Delphi is a small town with a population of 2,893 as of the 2010 census. I don't think they have a mall
-
In rural areas like Delphi, hiking is what people do for recreation (along with canoeing, riding bikes, two-tracking, fishing, canning fruits and vegetables, etc.).
-
More to the point, the girls' family members didn't find anything unusual about the girls' wanting to visit the trail.

My gut feeling is that he was there not because of school out or Valentine's day, but that he had a day where *his *time was unaccountable. I absolutely think he knew the trails extremely well, because not only did he logistically pull it off, but because I don't feel anyone could muster the confidence in daylight on a heavily wooded trail system to take on two girls. He definitely had his bearings.

My opinion is that he is native to Delphi, but not currently local. I think he got his knowledge as a child and spent a lot of time roaming the area. Would be interesting to go back and see property records of houses like RL. Now I think he lives far enough away that after the cover of OBG sketch (a total disaster for this case IMO) he is just totally under the radar. Most people didn't see the April PC, don't know about the case, haven't analyzed NBG sketch and have zero idea where BG was or wasn't 2.5 yrs ago. In Delphi it's a different story so I just don't think he is there. He is probably in a neighboring state doing his best to never say guys again!

The turning around on the bridge is something that always haunts me. I think it's a huge possibility and I have been in that predicament before and it's terrifying. Maybe the woods at the end of the bridge was his hiding spot and that's how he wasn't seen much on the trails? The car of interest was parked from 12 -5. So if that is BG car that is a long time to be walking around. Sitting and waiting is more likely. So maybe he was just waiting for the right victim to walk far enough down the bridge. Then he walked past the girls on the bridge - perhaps a plan to check the other end first for witnesses like another poster said or maybe he just wanted to corral them- and gave off a weird vibe as he passed, hence the creepy guy comment and then he turned around. Now he had them isolated and trapped. That's when they knew and why Libby filmed him quickly and discreetly to not anger him, and put it back into her pocket in a panic without hitting the stop button.

I grew up in a small town and at their ages we found the mall boring if we didnt have money to spend so a day off spent walking around was normal. That was a long time ago though and it's only my experience. We literally hung out at a gravel pit. No other people, just 2 or 4 girls spending all day walking up massive gravel hills and sliding down them. Doesn't sound typical but you make your own fun in a small town.
Same here. Go down the block and over the levee. We'd be in woods along the river in no time.

Dear @somequestions, based on the photographs of the MHB itself (and this is just "me", of course), I have a tremendously hard time imagining someone completely unfamiliar with the MHB just traipsing over it -- especially should they happen to have various "cargo" (or nefarious tools) in their pants pockets that might shift as the individual walks on those "iffy" boards... One miss, and... one would lose balance, falling instantly, to the waters far below. MOO.

I agree that crossing that bridge looks risky. But I look at it like this. Which is riskier? Committing double homicide or crossing an old railroad trestle bridge?

I guess that LE knows what they are doing, but I think it is dismissive to assume he had to know the Monon High Bridge trail area. I know when it comes to my ideas, anyone who spends enough time reading them tends to find me disagreeable.

I simply don't buy that the girls went there because it was a day off from school. Seems to me more likely that they would want to go to the mall or something like that....unless they believed something was going on out there that day. JMO.

MOO
A bridge dare for Abby, possibly meeting someone, or sending out awesome photos.
Teens go places with the intention of sending pictures to their friends by Instagram or other media. So it is different than the past, friend connections were at the mall - now much of it is on line.

-
He may have had a very loose plan or several alternate plans, or he may have winged it.
Snipped by me

I've been trying to find some cases where a single perpetrator attacked two girls with the intention of sexually assaulting them in a public
place like a trail. I have not been able to find cases like that.

There certainly are cases where multiple perpetrators have attacked multiple victims on a trail with the intent to sexually assault them.

There have been cases where a single perpetrator has attacked couples in remote places with the intent to sexually assault the female. In most of these cases, the male is either killed quickly or the male is bound quickly.

If someone has some examples of cases where two females were attacked on trails for the intent to sexually assault both victims by a lone perpetrator, can you post info about these cases. I would like to read more about them.

(Coming from the person who used to live in a very big city). Either my bad luck, or they are common, but I am thinking of exhibitionists.

From the video of BG with his hand in the pocket, to Libby's feeling that something was wrong prompting her to take the video, to the question about two females being attacked with the intention to sexually assault them... I think the type of molestation that usually involves one female, but can include two, is indecent sexual exposure. With more than two, the danger is to be beaten. But with two teenagers, he might have taken the chance.

So it would not surprise me if it was an exhibitionist initially planning to demonstrate himself to them.

Usually i would expect it to happen where the trail ended, but it can happen on a bridge, too. Usually the bridge would have supports behind which they can hide. But i wonder if it was something in his posture that Libby had noticed.

They usually have fantasy, change the places and the goal is to scare or surprise. I read that they were not dangerous, but who knows?

It was a popular thing to do at that age 2 years ago. My girls and their friends did the exact same thing, going to a nature sight and taking cute pictures of each other. I've always wondered if Abby took any pictures of Libby that day.

There is no mall in Delphi.

I didn't see anything resembling a mall. As I tried to depict in that photo album of Delphi, the Carroll County Courthouse building frames downtown and dictates the area. Local businesses are across the street on all sides. The courthouse lawn has a theme on each quadrant. The Pizza King favored by Abby and Libby is smack across the street on the gazebo quadrant.

Toward the east just down the block are the fire station plus the Delphi library. Also lots of local eateries.

In the other direction (west) just beyond the courthouse you have the name brand chains...Shell station, Sunoco station, McDonald's, CVS, Dollar General, auto parts store. Then just beyond that down a slight hill are the Dairy Queen and Pizza Hut across the street from each other at a rather busy intersection that basically brings people in and out of town on that side. The Dairy Queen is 4/10 mile from the courthouse.

I thought it was a decent allotment for a town of that size. I drive extensively. I see small towns boarded up and going out of business all over the country. That was not true of Delphi at all.

But I've always lived in major urban areas or their suburbs. I never faced teenage life in a small rural town. Things like Canal Park looked very interesting to me. Probably not for a 13 year old who has already been there more times than desired.

I was staying in Monticello, about 15 miles north. It looks like that area is being developed on speculation. There was a brand new huge hospital with a massive parking lot. It seemed out of place given the population. Likewise an obviously new Walmart that had the fewest amount of shoppers I've ever seen at prime time Saturday night for a Walmart during perfect weather.

I don't know the dynamics of that area but I wouldn't be surprised if Delphi doesn't grow partially because people move closer to Monticello if they can.

It was a popular thing to do at that age 2 years ago. My girls and their friends did the exact same thing, going to a nature sight and taking cute pictures of each other. I've always wondered if Abby took any pictures of Libby that day.
Plus not all teen girls make the mall their priority, and being there wasn't one anyways... .

Which fact do you give more weight: The fact it was the day before Valentine's Day or the fact that there was no school? Do you think one or both facts were important for the offender, or none?

-Nin

I think both are important, I’m interested in whether other schools in the area (within say an hours radius) also had the day off. The possibility of BG being someone employed within the Indiana school system has crossed my mind. I believe it’s someone who knows the Monon high bridge and trail very well.

At the same time, I don't think the random possibility can be rules. Such scenario would not involve a totally random guy.

Rather, it would be a "selected" group of random:

In one of the first police press conferences they inferred they thought it was planned.

The police stated it being a chance encounter was possible but not likely. Of course they may have changed theories since then

Go to the 24:50 mark

Last edited:
No school for too many people, be it students, teachers or parents. I am not sure Valentine's day plays any role at all, but any major state holiday could have been of the same relevance. Or maybe, a snow day would have been of the same relevance.
It was a state holiday in Illinois so anyone working for an Illinois company for example could have had the day off.

LE should never take anyone to court unless they have a case against them. The DA or whoever would prosecute the case would likely reject it too unless they believe they have a shot at conviction, especially in a high profile case like this. I think this comment clearly shows most people are in this for their own curiosity and not justice or concern for the victims/family, as there's no other reason people would want LE to bring a case they would lose.
Most people are here to keep the thread alive, the awareness out there and ongoing in the hope we will witness an arrest. It is not for our curiosity but is because we want justice for the victims and their families and to prevent this killer striking again.

In one of the first police press conferences they inferred they thought it was planned.

The police stated it being a chance encounter was possible but not likely. Of course they may have changed theories since then

Go to the 24:50 mark

"It's possible but not likely" it was a chance encounter. For early days that language and sentiment is pretty distinct isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa