Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transcript for yesterday's WHO presser is out @margarita25 . Today is three months since the DG declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. Today, he will be reconvening the Emergency Committee (consists of 15 independent experts from around the world) to evaluate the evolution of the pandemic and advise on updated recommendations. He gave a summary of efforts to dates at the outset, but for some reason I cannot cut/paste in the formatting they put on line as @margarita25 seems to be able to do, so I did screenshots of two pages.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...ss-conference-29apr2020.pdf?sfvrsn=aaa81d24_2

WHOtimeline1.JPG

whotimeline2.JPG

At the moment I'm at home with confirmed Covid-19, my symptoms are mild with a fever of above 38,0 Centigrades (100 F) if I don't take paracetamol, a headache that won't go away, tiredness, and very mild cold symptoms. No breathing difficulties, cough, aches or anything else. I most likely caught it at work (emergency department), as we have had more and more patients with suspected corona during last week, and one of my colleagues have also got it. Now I have to stay at home until all symptoms are gone + two more days. I got a call from one of the doctors at the Department of Infectious Diseases, as well as from a nurse at the Disease control unit at the hospital, giving me advice and what symptoms to be observant of.

The number confirmed cases here in my part of Sweden is still low, 73 cases, and 2 deaths. The laboratory capacity have been increase and now all hospital staff, and personnel taking care of elders, are tested if they have any symptoms that could be coronarelated.
Sorry to hear this. Hope you recover quickly. Please take care and keep us updated.

Hope you get well soon....We care........moo
So Sorry, FrostOwl. Please take it easy. Now, you have a bit more time (and hopefully not too exhausted) I hope you can take a look at all the wonderful doctor's most recent videos. They are so much more informative ..now! Dr. Roger Suheult, Dr. Mike Hansen and Dr John Campbell... they are my new best friends.

This new one from Dr. Mike Hansen is so informative regarding the high level of blood clots with covid patients.

Last edited:
Most of the big corporate types are talking out of both sides of their mouths. Not really a negative take, just a reality I guess.
Fair enough if someone is worried about their business due to the Covid lockdown, I just don't them like claiming concern for the general public when it's about the business. JMO

This Guardian article is quite helpful IMO. Especially if there is going to be a meat shortage.

The trouble with fake meat
I don't understand why some veg*ans of all kinds are so much into having "fake meat" products. One of the reasons why I became a vegetarian more than 30 years ago was that I had never really liked meat, so I don't see a reason why I should eat "fake meat" instead. There are times when they come in handy, but I prefer genuine vegetables, legumes and eating things I can identify. Yes, it takes more skills to be able to compose meals so that the nutritional balance is correct, but the end result in so much more satisfying.

At the moment I'm at home with confirmed Covid-19, my symptoms are mild with a fever of above 38,0 Centigrades (100 F) if I don't take paracetamol, a headache that won't go away, tiredness, and very mild cold symptoms. No breathing difficulties, cough, aches or anything else. I most likely caught it at work (emergency department), as we have had more and more patients with suspected corona during last week, and one of my colleagues have also got it. Now I have to stay at home until all symptoms are gone + two more days. I got a call from one of the doctors at the Department of Infectious Diseases, as well as from a nurse at the Disease control unit at the hospital, giving me advice and what symptoms to be observant of.

The number confirmed cases here in my part of Sweden is still low, 73 cases, and 2 deaths. The laboratory capacity have been increase and now all hospital staff, and personnel taking care of elders, are tested if they have any symptoms that could be coronarelated.
Sorry to hear this FrostOwl. Get plenty of rest and keep taking the paracetamol. Vitamin C if you have some. Dont go back to work too soon either. Thinking about you here in southern England xX

This is a really good article by Nate Silver, American statistician. The attached shows the states as he grouped them:
Hasn't peaked.....19 states
Might be peaking......6 states
May be past peak.....20 states
Peaked 3 weeks ago.....6 states

"Additionally, while these social distancing efforts are almost certainly flattening the curve, the somewhat lax American version of social distancing may not be enough to bend the curve all on its own. In epidemiological terms, bending the curve means getting R — the effective reproduction number — under 1, so that each person who acquires COVID-19 spreads it to less than one new person. If R is less than 1, a disease will begin to die out , but if it’s above 1, the disease will keep spreading. And if R is near 1, the curve will flatten into a long plateau but not turn downward, which may be the case in some states."

"In short, the United States desperately needs to work on techniques in addition to social distancing to fight the spread, including better testing, case-tracking, quarantining of sick individuals, and better sanitation and hygiene. Social distancing has likely been very helpful to slow the spread and, in many states, even reverse it. But if it’s the only tool we’re employing — and it’s a costly tool to wield — it may only be enough to allow us to fight the coronavirus to a draw."

More at link

Coronavirus Cases Are Still Growing In Many U.S. States

I like this site's visual for the Rt:Effective Rate rt.live

I am beginning to feel like an unwanted juicy pork chop surrounded by a field of carrots on this Virus Vegan thread..........:).....moo
INAV
(I'm not a vegan/vegetarian)
But I am worried in case there is a meat or food shortage. Maybe we should think about the wartime option of raising a pig in the back garden.

Video experience headlines - BBC News

"We'll starve to death if this continues"

Very sorry to hear.....let us know how it goes. Hopefully you are "out of the woods" with 2 more days to go. Would love to hear experience with antibody test if you have one.

The Abel’s from the Diamond Princess took an antibody test. I don’t know if this is helpful, but thought I’d post it here anyway:

David Abel

May you continue to have a mild case, Godspeed to you and your family.

So here's the Big Question for re-opening.

If you can get people to wear masks, implement physical distancing throughout commercial and social life, & ban gatherings over 50 people (like Sweden, which is the most relaxed) can you keep Rt < 1 without robust testing/contact tracing?

Most scientists say "no"......we are about to test it in many states, GA and FL for sure. They have admitted they don't have people for contact tracing and haven't yet mandated mask.

The issue I have with the reopening is that folks aren't wearing masks. I am appalled by this - I cringe when I do my curbside grocery pickup and see all the people going in/out, brushing up against each other, 75% without masks. To me - a mask is a symbol of a person that has greater love for anyone than himself.
Yes, although I'm medical and understand that a mask protects the other person most, I still feel like my mask offers me a little protection against those carriers carelessly spreading the virus. Maybe minimal, but it's a small barrier between me and them.

I want to go up to the mask wearers the way I do our military in uniform and thank them for their service to our country and their love for others.

I admit, I'm selfish. I want to see those precious grandbabies of mine grow up. I want to see my elderly mother live another 10 years and not go down as a statistic in this pandemic. To me - a short term interruption to our "normal" is a small price to pay for a quicker and safer re-entry back to a new normal of the life we obviously so loved and miss.
We, Americans, are an arrogant nation. We don't want anyone else telling us what we can and can't do - even if it's for our own safety and good health. We scream that we relish our freedom, but flaunt that freedom in ways that jeopardize our own lives and those of others. And of those we love.

I'll go back to my corner again now

I don't understand why some veg*ans of all kinds are so much into having "fake meat" products. One of the reasons why I became a vegetarian more than 30 years ago was that I had never really liked meat, so I don't see a reason why I should eat "fake meat" instead. There are times when they come in handy, but I prefer genuine vegetables, legumes and eating things I can identify. Yes, it takes more skills to be able to compose meals so that the nutritional balance is correct, but the end result in so much more satisfying.
I don’t like most of the fake meat, but my husband does.

Now real black bean burgers, I love. But they are not the texture or taste of meat. They’re just in the shape of a burger.

Virtual hug (((FrostOwl)))
take care, praying you have a mild case and recuperate super quick
thank you for your work and putting yourself on the front line to care for others

So Sorry, FrostOwl. Please take it easy. Now, you have a bit more time (and hopefully not too exhausted) I hope you can take a look at all the wonderful doctor's most recent videos. They are so much more informative ..now! Dr. Roger Suheult, Dr. Mike Hansen and Dr John Campbell... they are my new best friends. (Dixiegirl is also our best friend who got us connected with these pleasant physician instructors)
This new one from Dr. Mike Hansen is so good at discussing the high rate of blood clots forming in covid patients.

oxygen. oxygen. oxygen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member