Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must have footage of her leaving the hotel early that morning, I wonder if she had changed clothes? It looked like she carried a suitcase and a plastic grocery bag in with her. I noticed she also had several things in her hands and put them on the counter when she started checking in. Hard to tell what they were.

Respectfully bolded by me, and with my wholehearted endorsement of this important question! Seems like her husband, at least, thought it would be hunky-dory for his sleep-deprived wife to make a multistate journey that would require her to be driving well into and through the night, and checking in and out of motels en route, during a pandemic, for the purpose of seeking treatment and seeing her sibling and their new child (apparently without quarantining for 14 days, as out-of-state visitors are required to do by a number of other states—I don’t know, offhand, if AL requires it but I would guess not). Seems like a risky proposition to me.
One of the earlier links said she left fairly suddenly. IMO it may not have been a planned trip. Early reports stated she left home after 8 PM in the evening. Overland Park police search for local missing woman traveling to see out-of-state family

I wonder if any of her family has thought of this. Perhaps she has gone to visit the grave of this fiancé. Especially if she is having a crisis of some kind. Hopefully she isn’t going to self harm. MOO.
It's possible, but keep in mind we have no indication Marilane is/was still thinking of her deceased fiance. That was suggested by a poster here as a possibiity.
I don't want folks reading here to get the wrong idea.

I just can’t imagine allowing anyone I know and love to drive themselves to a mental hospital. I feel such a pang in my heart for her if this is true.

Let’s just think about this.

1. To “know” you need a mental hospital means you have a KNOWN condition that needs immediate treatment that can’t be accomplished outpatient. What could that treatment be?
a. Treatment could be because you are currently suicidal.
b. Treatment could mean you need medication adjustments because it’s not working.
c. Treatment for an eating disorder

My concerns or questions.
1. IF you are the loved one of someone experiencing this how do you allow them to go alone?
2. Let alone leave at 8 pm for a dangerous 10 hour drive.
3. Why did she need to borrow $10 from someone? Did she not have access to money?
4. Why are there reports of her mom speaking to her but no reports of her husband during her trip?

Unfortunately in ministry women are often unable to find the support they need because of all the taboos that surround mental health. But can you imagine the problems in getting help in the town you live in if the problems are related to your spouse who is the minister? I truly hope and pray this is not the case.

Leaving at 8 pm for the drive to Birmingham does not seem unusual to me. She probably had put the kids to bed for the night. I personally do not consider this a dangerous drive.
It’s a 10 hour drive. I’ll say it’s flat out irresponsible for a woman to drive over night alone. And I’ll go further and say, it’s sad that any husband would think this is ok. I’ve made most of that drive by myself and I’d never want to be alone in some of the areas she’d have to pass through. In fact, I drive a nice, well-maintained car and had a flat on the highway in west Memphis Arkansas just last year. It’s not dangerous for the roads meaning not winding or narrow or hilly, but there are many concerning towns and cities you’d never want to stop in IMHO.

It’s a 10 hour drive. I’ll say it’s flat out irresponsible for a woman to drive over night alone. And I’ll go further and say, it’s sad that any husband would think this is ok. I’ve made most of that drive by myself and I’d never want to be alone in some of the areas she’d have to pass through. In fact, I drive a nice, well-maintained car and had a flat on the highway in west Memphis Arkansas just last year. It’s not dangerous for the roads meaning not winding or narrow or hilly, but there are many concerning towns and cities you’d never want to stop in IMHO.
Sorry, I don't share your opinion. You make it sound like it is ok for a man to drive at night, but not a woman.

Female here...I always prefer to drive at nite and early morning, if long distance driving. Less traffic, I see it as safer/easier. Safer cause I have more time to read signs. Why would it be more problematic at nite?

Last edited:
Curious, if she checked herself into a mental health hospital or clinic are they required to say she's there if she doesn't want that known? This missing incident is really troubling to me. If she were last spoken to on Sunday why did her family wait until Wednesday to report her missing, that is accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnySomber