Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep going back to the time he flew home. I think whatever happened later had to be rooted there. I don't think he flew home to clean out a storage space. That makes no sense. He may have done that while he was there but I doubt it's the reason for the trip. At the Moab stop Gabby seemed utterly distraught at the thought of being without BL. Not of being alone, just without BL. Why would she be ok with being without him for a week just because she was in a hotel? She still would have been without him. I'll admit there are entire pages I missed when these threads were moving like lightning so maybe I missed something that would explain this. I know her dad got pizza for her when she was there but did she tell him why she was there? Did he know she was alone? Was her mom aware of this? This weird part of the timeline keeps niggling at me as something important but I can't quite get a handle on it. Just me? Anyone else feel this way?

I'm still curious about Gabby being seen with a male on Aug 21th while BL was supposedly in FL. Did the clerk have the date wrong?

Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online

At the Kicks 66 convenience store located down the street just a few hundred yards away from the Fairfield Inn, a cashier recognized the couple.

The cashier told the DailyMail.com, 'They came into together on the night of August 21. I remember them because he was telling her to 'hurry up.'

She didn't say anything back to him, at one point she left the store for a few minutes and came back in. They bought bottles of water, a few packages of instant noodles and donuts.'

The cashier pointed out that the Salt Lake City FBI headquarters is across the street from the convenience store, also within a few hundred feet of the Fairfield Inn. 'Their vehicle would have had to pass by the FBI cameras outside of the building pointing toward the street on several occasions.'

Would the elderly lady have turned you in if your face was plastered all over as a fugitive? jmo ETA Or, any of your college friends?

Imo, it's easy to overestimate the number of people who are paying close, or even any, attention to this case and would recognize Brian from a hole in the wall even if they were right next to him at the grocery. Especially outside of the immediate areas involved. jmo

I agree that using her card was indeed illegal I'm just saying he may not necessarily have been aware it was illegal IF they had been sharing the account all along (and it's just an assumption that they were). It's just my speculation that the use of her card was not intentional theft but rather the mindless continued use of it. In any case, it it is very fortunate that it is illegal and was easily proven so an indictment was obtained.

MOO of course

BL using her card after he allegedly killed her would definitely be illegal. If the police have said this is a crime that they can arrest him for, this means that he was not a co-signor of the card. Yes, he could be unaware, but I think it's likely that he can do it so he does, just as he may/probably and in MOO killed her, what difference does it make if he also uses her card to steal her money.

We're in East TN today (not hiking, don't get excited) with my cousin and her husband pointed out how there's so many BL look-alikes out today. It wouldn't be nearly as funny if he weren't himself a 15 years +/ 6" taller version of BL. With 50 extra lbs and 10 years, my husband could be BL. He is everywhere here in camo UT hats. He's the invisible man.
BL looks like at least 4 of my kid’s friends’ dads. He’s just so easy to blend in to a crowd. He looked older than his age because he’s bald, but that’s the only thing I notice about him. If he manages to grow some hair back, or with a beanie on, he’d look closer to his stated age.

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

MEDIA, MAPS thread *NO DISCUSSION*

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Case Players and Initials Reference List

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58
I've been giving this a lot of thought over the past couple of days. I remembered a segment on my local news about how good dumpster diving was in NYC.

Not just for the homeless to pick on, but families coming out at night and using large black garbage bags to collect good food that may have expired for the restaurant rules and regulations, but the food was perfectly good.

There are a lot of resources available in the city for the homeless especially during the winter months. A lot of homeless shelters, soup kitchens, panhandling, and dumpster diving. It could be a perfect hiding in plain sight scenario for BL to get lost in the city.

Those who are struggling in some way are all about how to survive themselves on a daily basis and don't really pay attention to what is happening to other people. He could get a cot and a hot meal everynight and spent his days with a empty coffee cup looking for handouts, or riding the subways to stay warm. There are 9 million people in a very small city and he could easily submerge himself into that world without being spotted, at least in the short term. JMO
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

MEDIA, MAPS thread *NO DISCUSSION*

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Case Players and Initials Reference List

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58
Hi all! First time poster here and newbie! I question this video that Gabby supposedly made when Brian was in Florida. It seems eery to me that the video starts from a previous trip in California, clearly during winter. It takes us to the present time in Utah and ends there. Just seems very odd how the timeline was put together and posted. Any thoughts?

I'm still curious about Gabby being seen with a male on Aug 21th while BL was supposedly in FL. Did the clerk have the date wrong?

Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online

At the Kicks 66 convenience store located down the street just a few hundred yards away from the Fairfield Inn, a cashier recognized the couple.

The cashier told the DailyMail.com, 'They came into together on the night of August 21. I remember them because he was telling her to 'hurry up.'

She didn't say anything back to him, at one point she left the store for a few minutes and came back in. They bought bottles of water, a few packages of instant noodles and donuts.'

The cashier pointed out that the Salt Lake City FBI headquarters is across the street from the convenience store, also within a few hundred feet of the Fairfield Inn. 'Their vehicle would have had to pass by the FBI cameras outside of the building pointing toward the street on several occasions.'

Either the date is wrong, or it wasn't them, imo. Presumably, since the guy can remember what they bought, they can verify the transaction and match it with cameras or with the method of payment, assuming it wasn't cash. jmo

I keep going back to the time he flew home. I think whatever happened later had to be rooted there. I don't think he flew home to clean out a storage space. That makes no sense. He may have done that while he was there but I doubt it's the reason for the trip. At the Moab stop Gabby seemed utterly distraught at the thought of being without BL. Not of being alone, just without BL. Why would she be ok with being without him for a week just because she was in a hotel? She still would have been without him. I'll admit there are entire pages I missed when these threads were moving like lightning so maybe I missed something that would explain this. I know her dad got pizza for her when she was there but did she tell him why she was there? Did he know she was alone? Was her mom aware of this? This weird part of the timeline keeps niggling at me as something important but I can't quite get a handle on it. Just me? Anyone else feel this way?
My take is Gabby had been trying to piece together content for her YT video. We know they were at the cafe for a few hours the day of the police stop. I can’t imagine Brian was happy to sit there watching her do that for hours. Especially if the editing was taking longer than expected. Hence the fight that led to reasons for the suspected DV calls. We also know Gabby was working on the YT video while at the hotel because her dad said he was helping her. Finishing the video was an important goal since she needed content to upload. It’s possible Brian understood that and decided to give her the time she needed to finish the video. Because sitting around idly while she worked on it (cafe) clearly didn’t work for either of them. So yeah, I could see that being the actual reason for the trip and I could also see Gabby telling her parents his absence was storage unit related to avoid having to explain what transpired the last time she tried to work on the video. Whether or not emptying out the storage unit on those days was his dad’s plan from the beginning or just something he decided to do because Brian was home to help remains to be seen. /jmo

Last edited:

Sure sounds like it was Brian, with the "hurry up" mentality. UGH. Did he NEVER really go back to FLA, or not for as long as claimed? jmo

Are you commenting just in the context of WS? If not, Maybe @Alethea can comment on adverse inference from a defendant's silence in the context of an actual criminal proceeding. I think the circumstances under which a defendant's silence can create an adverse inference is limited to when the defendant refuses to testify to controvert other evidence tending to establish an element of the crime, but that is jmo.
Would love to hear her thoughts.

I couldn't tell if what she was upset about was being separated from him (she did say that she didn't want to be and that they were a team, for sure), or if being separated from him was also 100% correlated with spending the night in the van by herself and having to drive a vehicle that she was afraid to drive. The idea of spending the night in a van alone in an unfamiliar place, probably in a campground, seems like an unsafe thing to do alone, and the idea would totally freak me out, too, so I haven't really been able to decide if I think she was saying she didn't want to be separated from him because of *him* or if it was because the idea was scary.

I agree that the long hotel stay by herself is a mystery. That seems really boring, especially if she was afraid to drive the van and therefore was reluctant to do touristy things. That said, it's possible that she took public transportation or an uber and was able to spend some time exploring SLC. I've never been there except to go through it to go skiing, but I hear there are some interesting things to see. She may have been happy to have the wifi and have him out of her hair to be able to get some work done. But I agree, it's a puzzling thing that I haven't really ever had an "ah hah, that makes sense" moment about.

I don't believe anything pubished in the DM unless it's corroborated by other sources. They will happily pay a clerk for a story like this, and they don't follow up on things like store video to check whether it was actually her or a another blond young woman.

Imo, it's easy to overestimate the number of people who are paying close, or even any, attention to this case and would recognize Brian from a hole in the wall even if they were right next to him at the grocery. Especially outside of the immediate areas involved. jmo
Yes, plus there are those who do not want t0 get involved. I will never forget in the Elizabeth Smart case, the woman who called LE when she saw her walking down the street with the man and woman said her husband‘s reaction was to leave it alone and not get involved, what the…. Thankfully she ignored him and made the call.

Hi all! First time poster here and newbie! I question this video that Gabby supposedly made when Brian was in Florida. It seems eery to me that the video starts from a previous trip in California, clearly during winter. It takes us to the present time in Utah and ends there. Just seems very odd how the timeline was put together and posted. Any thoughts?

Welcome Charline23 - I have no idea, JMO but maybe that's the video Gabby was working on in Moab on August 12th. I haven't looked at any of her or BL's sm accounts, so any clips I've seen are from various news stations reporting on this story. I do believe Gabby was struggling during this trip because BL had very different ideas of what he expected to be doing on this trip.

Gabby imo was catering to him and what he wanted, she had very little time to work on her vlogging....

We're in East TN today (not hiking, don't get excited) with my cousin and her husband pointed out how there's so many BL look-alikes out today. It wouldn't be nearly as funny if he weren't himself a 15 years +/ 6" taller version of BL. With 50 extra lbs and 10 years, my husband could be BL. He is everywhere here in camo UT hats. He's the invisible man.

without a lot of scrutiny, he does look like a lot of people- average height, average weight, brown hair, brown eyes.... just looked at some celeb pictures in the news and he looks like a lot of those people... and that is without working to change his appearance.

When Gabby's remains (not even a body) was found, even early reports stated that it was suspected that they were hers. Not a word officially of any suspicion that these are BL's. Which leads me to believe that there is no way this is him..
I agree. I think if he'd been found, we would have heard more quickly.

I've been giving this a lot of thought over the past couple of days. I remembered a segment on my local news about how good dumpster diving was in NYC.

Not just for the homeless to pick on, but families coming out at night and using large black garbage bags to collect good food that may have expired for the restaurant rules and regulations, but the food was perfectly good.

There are a lot of resources available in the city for the homeless especially during the winter months. A lot of homeless shelters, soup kitchens, panhandling, and dumpster diving. It could be a perfect hiding in plain sight scenario for BL to get lost in the city.

Those who are struggling in some way are all about how to survive themselves on a daily basis and don't really pay attention to what is happening to other people. He could get a cot and a hot meal everynight and spent his days with a empty coffee cup looking for handouts, or riding the subways to stay warm. There are 9 million people in a very small city and he could easily submerge himself into that world without being spotted, at least in the short term. JMO
Experts agree with you. Hiding with the homeless is apparently common with fugitives. Links in media thread. I still say outdoors is more in his comfort zone, but maybe he can do a bit of both? Lots of communities along AT (or any other reserve, preserve, national forest, etc).
A.T. Communities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member