ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the OP, but LE has stated they are not suspects and are cooperating with the investigation. I find it almost impossible to think one or both girls planned and physically pulled off the vicious stabbing of 4 of their closet friends.

Plus they are considered victims on WS.

MOO
As much as I admire and respect you, that isn't was LE stated. LE stated no one was excluded at POI or suspects.

I think the timeline is just what is “known”. They know Xana and Ethan were home at 1:45. It’s possible they came home earlier than that, but did some reason, the cops only know for sure that they were home at 1:45 (maybe text messages?). I’m sure the cops have all their phones.

I’m interested to know the survivors’s timelines. I wish they would have included that. Perhaps they are the ones that testified that all four came home around 1:45.

Xana’s father says he thinks he spoke to his daughter around midnight and she and her boyfriend were home, but where were they from 9-11?

“Kernodle said Xana stayed in regular communication with her family. "I think midnight was the last time we heard from her, and she was fine," he told the station, adding that he doesn't understand why his daughter and her roommates were killed in their own home.

"They were just hanging out at home. Xana was just hanging out at home with her boyfriend," he said.”

University of Idaho students were stabbed to death in their beds and likely asleep, coroner says
Thank you for including this.

Moscow is 1 hr behind AZ, so it does leave the question of whether around midnight means Dad's time or Xana's time.

Update here:

Moscow Homicide Update
November 18, 2022 4:40 PM

MOSCOW, Idaho – The Moscow Police Department is providing the following information to update the public on the known facts surrounding the four murders that occurred on November 13th in Moscow, Idaho.

On the evening of November 12th, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar called The Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street, in downtown Moscow, between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on November 13th. At approximately 1:40 a.m., Kaylee and Madison were seen on video at a local food vendor called the “Grub Truck” at 318 S. Main Street and used Uber from downtown to arrive at their 1122 King Road residence at 1:45 a.m.

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting. Two other roommates were at the residence that night.

On November 13th, at 11:58 a.m., officers responded to the residence after a 911 call reported an unconscious individual. Upon arrival, officers discovered Kaylee, Madison, Xana, and Ethan deceased inside the residence.

Autopsies were conducted on November 17th. The Latah County Coroner confirmed the identity of the four murdered individuals and their cause and manner of death as homicide by stabbing. The coroner stated that the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault.

At this time in the investigation, detectives do not believe the two surviving roommates or the male in the Grub Truck surveillance video are involved in this crime. Additionally, online reports of the victims being tied and gagged are not accurate. The identity of the 911 caller has not been released.

As part of the investigation, detectives seized the contents of three dumpsters on King Road to locate possible evidence. Additionally, detectives have contacted local businesses to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased.

At the time of this release, detectives have received nearly 500 tips which are being processed, investigated, and cleared. Thirty-eight interviews have been conducted with individuals who may have information about the murders. Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call 208-883-7180 or tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.

The Moscow Police Department is utilizing assistance from the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office.

Moscow Police Department:
• 4 Detectives
• 24 Patrol Officers
• 5 Support Staff
Federal Bureau of In Investigators:
• 22 investigators in Moscow
• 20 assigned agents located out of Treasure Valley, ID, Salt Lake City, Utah, and West Virginia
• 2 Behavior Analysis Unit
Idaho State Police:
• 20 investigators
• 15 troopers
• Public Information Officer
• ISP Forensics Services and mobile crime scene team
• 15 uniformed troopers to assist with community patrols

Currently, there are no suspects in custody, and the weapon has not been found.

Anyone who observed suspicious behavior, has video surveillance, or can provide relevant information about these murders, is asked to call the Tip Line at 208-883-7180 or email tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.
The Moscow Police Department thanks our community for their continued support, understanding of the limited information we can share, and patience during this difficult time.

Last edited:
They were supposedly at the party from 8-9. Xana’s father said he spoke to her around midnight and she was home. So much conflicting info in this case. I’m confused too!
Can you point out where he said she was home at midnight? I’ve read he said that he talked to her at midnight and she was fine then. But I must have missed where he said she was definitely at home then.

In my opinion we’re going to hear something in the next 24 to 48 hours clearing the two surviving roommates involvement. I too have seen several news stories in the last hour reporting that the surviving roommates are still persons of interest. My guess…this is just another attempt by MSM to manipulate and sensationalize a story for their benefit. SO unfortunate! The media realizes this is a story of interest across the country and wants nothing more than to continue feeding its audience with snippets of information….. even if it’s to the detriment of this horrific case. I’m thinking the media is playing its cards in hopes that LE has no other choice than to come forward and give more information, which will eventually lead to clearing these two young women.

As much as I admire and respect you, that isn't was LE stated. LE stated no one was excluded at POI or suspects.

You are talking about his second comments.Video is posted of him saying the opposite before that.

Yes I would take what Kaylee’s sister has said as more credible than what is basically, a rumor a random student told Mark Fuhrman.

The Inside Edition story is also misleading in the way its headline describes the killer passing the survivors’ rooms. These were not bedrooms along a hallway like the Bundy sorority house scene, as we know, the bedrooms were on different levels of the structure.

Valid.

FoxNews is sticking with it, though, so who knows anything at this point?

Mark Fuhrman on Idaho murders: 'A knife is a weapon of rage' | Fox News Video

There shouldn't be a debate on the time if LE gives a time that they were home. It is easy to know - from the Uber, from the door-cam, from the wifi-router in the home when the phones gets connected, etc. What I don't know is whether LE looked in to the wifi log-data to see what phones connected if there were other frequent visitors who would want to connect to a wifi instead.

As to why everything is up in the air:
LE on the press conference was still confused to answer the reporter who asked why there was no earlier 911 calls made. This is the key. The fact that we don't know whether the girls were sleeping or did in fact hear some noises but were tired and drunk/buzzed to infer what was happening. May be there was music playing with screams and noises of a fight. It happens in a party. May be the girls can recollect the voices and would be key to solving it.

The future precautions:
Every school has to guide their students to invest in setting up a security cam. it is hardly 25 bucks (tiny and saves to cloud even if micro-sd gets stolen) and might be their best investment. Also use one to record a lecture and transmit or watch for later. Should also teach them how to use proper app to record vidoes with voice control

Thank you for including this.

Moscow is 1 hr behind AZ, so it does leave the question of whether around midnight means Dad's time or Xana's time.
Also, I would say we cannot consider this as fact in any way no matter the timezone. I certainly remember frequently telling my parents while away at college that I was home when I was most certainly not home. I didn't want them to worry or give me 20 questions about it if I said anything else. JMO

I also wanted to say, it's been quoted multiple times on this thread about Kaylee moving. I think it has been hugely misinterpreted. The gist of it seems to be that she was home with her parents for awhile to set up her future and get her new vehicle, and then went back to her current home (AKA where the murder happened) and was excited to go back to hwe parents' home for Thanksgiving as well.
According to her sister, she was in the process of moving to Texas post-graduation to work a new tech job:

Luminol the house for evidence of a clean up .
Check everyone's phones to see if they were where they said they were at ?
See if anything has been deleted on the phones.
Check the clothes washers and the plumbing drains for blood.
It's just curious, to me, if there was any activity at all at that house -- before the person who didn't live there called 911 ?

I was thinking the perp was covered in blood, is there a way to have a dog trained to follow blood patterns away from the house ; I know SAR dogs can follow a missing person, but is there such a thing as a dog trained to track blood ?
M00.

Luminol the house for evidence of a clean up .
Check everyone's phones to see if they were where they said they were at ?
See if anything has been deleted on the phones.
Check the clothes washers and the plumbing drains for blood.
It's just curious, to me, if there was any activity at all at that house -- before the person who didn't live there called 911 ?

I was thinking the perp was covered in blood, is there a way to have a dog trained to follow blood patterns away from the house ; I know SAR dogs can follow a missing person, but is there such a thing as a dog trained to track blood ?
M00.
Excellent comment.

Update here:

Moscow Homicide Update
November 18, 2022 4:40 PM
MOSCOW, Idaho – The Moscow Police Department is providing the following information to update the public on the known facts surrounding the four murders that occurred on November 13th in Moscow, Idaho.

On the evening of November 12th, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar called The Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street, in downtown Moscow, between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on November 13th. At approximately 1:40 a.m., Kaylee and Madison were seen on video at a local food vendor called the “Grub Truck” at 318 S. Main Street and used Uber from downtown to arrive at their 1122 King Road residence at 1:45 a.m.

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting.Two other roommates were at the residence that night.

On November 13th, at 11:58 a.m., officers responded to the residence after a 911 call reported an unconscious individual. Upon arrival, officers discovered Kaylee, Madison, Xana, and Ethan deceased inside the residence.
Autopsies were conducted on November 17th. The Latah County Coroner confirmed the identity of the four murdered individuals and their cause and manner of death as homicide by stabbing. The coroner stated that the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault.
At this time in the investigation, detectives do not believe the two surviving roommates or the male in the Grub Truck surveillance video are involved in this crime. Additionally, online reports of the victims being tied and gagged are not accurate. The identity of the 911 caller has not been released.

As part of the investigation, detectives seized the contents of three dumpsters on King Road to locate possible evidence. Additionally, detectives have contacted local businesses to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased.
At the time of this release, detectives have received nearly 500 tips which are being processed, investigated, and cleared. Thirty-eight interviews have been conducted with individuals who may have information about the murders. Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call 208-883-7180 or tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.
The Moscow Police Department is utilizing assistance from the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office.

Moscow Police Department:
• 4 Detectives
• 24 Patrol Officers
• 5 Support Staff
Federal Bureau of In Investigators:
• 22 investigators in Moscow
• 20 assigned agents located out of Treasure Valley, ID, Salt Lake City, Utah, and West Virginia
• 2 Behavior Analysis Unit
Idaho State Police:
• 20 investigators
• 15 troopers
• Public Information Officer
• ISP Forensics Services and mobile crime scene team
• 15 uniformed troopers to assist with community patrols
Currently, there are no suspects in custody, and the weapon has not been found.
Anyone who observed suspicious behavior, has video surveillance, or can provide relevant information about these murders, is asked to call the Tip Line at 208-883-7180 or email tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.
The Moscow Police Department thanks our community for their continued support, understanding of the limited information we can share, and patience during this difficult time.
It’s good they’ve released this. But I’ve kind of lost hope that they actually had an idea of a/or possible suspect(s). This statement clears things up but is also somewhat disheartening as there is not really any new info either. It doesn’t mean they have nothing, but I thought they’d announce they have solid leads or something to give the public some reassurance. IMO JMO MOO and all that.

In my opinion we’re going to hear something in the next 24 to 48 hours clearing the two surviving roommates involvement. I too have seen several news stories in the last hour reporting that the surviving roommates are still persons of interest. My guess…this is just another attempt by MSM to manipulate and sensationalize a story for their benefit. SO unfortunate! The media realizes this is a story of interest across the country and wants nothing more than to continue feeding its audience with snippets of information….. even if it’s to the detriment of this horrific case. I’m thinking the media is playing its cards in hopes that LE has no other choice than to come forward and give more information, which will eventually lead to clearing these two young women.
bolding mine.
I have not read about persons of interest from anywhere in msm, only that no one has been cleared , outside of the food truck person ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jezel