Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it matter if the two LL daughters are “still enrolled”? Does anyone seriously believe they will “continue” to attend classes? Or even show their faces? Or is it just a ploy by USC so as not to admit any wrongdoing by not officially booting them?

Why does it matter if the two LL daughters are “still enrolled”? Does anyone seriously believe they will “continue” to attend classes? Or even show their faces? Or is it just a ploy by USC so as not to admit any wrongdoing by not officially booting them?

Last week it was reported that the two "dropped out" for fear of being "viciously bullied".

USC is still reviewing each case and have not commented or kicked out anyone, yet.

I think it means the girls left campus with no intention of returning, but didn't bother with the paperwork to officially withdraw.

jmo

Financial aid and Pell grants? Seriously!

Don’t they know those are hardly for people that make that kind of money? Middle class parents make too much for Federal Finacial aid and Pell grants.

This threatens the college/university. SO MUCH of this money comes in to universities, losing it would be devastating. After that, each & every entering class is small -- because there is no Federal student aid for anyone.

Students who qualify for Pell grants & other aid will go to other schools, taking the rest of their tuition and their talent with them!

JMHO YMMV

Mark Riddell and Rudy Meredith, two of the main cooperating witnesses, have signed plea agreements with prosecutors in exchange for lesser sentences.

Meredith, the former women's soccer coach at Yale University, admitted to accepting bribes in exchange for designating prospective students as recruits on the soccer team. In exchange for Meredith's guilty plea to one count of conspiracy to commit honest services wire fraud and one count honest services wire fraud, the government is recommending he receive a prison sentence at the low end of the sentencing range and 36 months of supervised release and for $866,000 in forfeitures, made up of lump sums of $308,225.61 and $557,774.39, which equal the amount Meredith obtained. He had been facing up to 20 years in prison. He agreed to testify if necessary. Meredith signed a cooperation agreement that had been under seal that does not supersede the plea agreement and details the "substantial assistance" he has provided a US Attorney. Meredith signed a proffer agreement May 2, 2018, and has been cooperating since then.

Riddell, the former director of college entrance exam preparation at IMG Academy, a private college prep school in Florida, admitted he took tests in place of students, provided answers for their tests and corrected answers after the students completed their exams. IMG has suspended him indefinitely. In exchange for Riddell's guilty plea to one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering, the government is recommending a prison sentence at the low end of the incarceration range and a fine at the low end of the sentencing guidelines, 36 months of supervised release, and a $239,449.42 fine, which is approximately the amount Riddell earned from his crimes. Riddell typically was paid about $10,000 per test. He had been facing 20 years in prison. The plea agreement was dated February 18.

College admissions scandal: Key cooperating witnesses have signed plea agreements - CNN

Last edited:
Palo Alto residents Amy Colburn, 59, and Dr. Gregory Colburn, 61, are now accused of a new felony, conspiracy to commit money laundering, according to a new indictment released by a federal grand jury on Tuesday.

The money-laundering accusation is in addition to a previous charge of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and honest services mail and wire fraud, which federal prosecutors filed earlier in March.

The latest charge against the couple stems from a wiretap made by federal authorities in October 2018. The recording captured the couple allegedly agreeing to support lies told to the Internal Revenue Service by Singer. He told IRS investigators that $25,000 in bribes and other payments the Colburns made and funneled through his charitable organization were for donations to the Key Worldwide Foundation and would benefit needy children to have better educational opportunities.

The Colburns' initial appearance in federal court in Boston was scheduled for this Friday, March 29, but that date has been canceled. A new date for an appearance hasn't been scheduled by the court.

Palo Alto couple faces money-laundering charge in college-admissions scam

The Department of Education has opened a "preliminary investigation" into the $25 million college admissions cheating scandal in which 50 people were criminally charged. The investigation overseen by the department's enforcement unit will examine where there were any violations to laws and regulations related to federal financial aid programs.

The Education Department requested documents from USC that included the school's admissions policies and the names of students whose admission was mentioned in the FBI's investigation in the admissions scandal.

Wake Forest University, Stanford University, Georgetown University, the University of San Diego, and the University of California Los Angeles are also a part of the department's investigation, the schools confirmed in statements Tuesday.

Yale did not confirm it received a letter but said Tuesday the university was made aware of the investigation. Yale has also launched its own internal review to discover "whether others have been involved in activities that have corrupted the athletic recruitment and admissions process."

College admissions scandal: Department of Education opens probe of Yale, USC, other schools

Last edited:
Meredith signed a cooperation agreement that had been under seal that does not supersede the plea agreement and details the "substantial assistance" he has provided a US Attorney. Meredith signed a proffer agreement May 2, 2018, and has been cooperating since then.

bbm

Wait, what? This has all been unraveling since then basically? Makes me wonder just exactly how long they've had these fraudsters in the crosshairs.

bbm

Wait, what? This has all been unraveling since then basically? Makes me wonder just exactly how long they've had these fraudsters in the crosshairs.

signed proffer agreement in May 2018, then in November 2018:

The Yale University Department of Athletics announced today that Rudy Meredith has resigned from his position as head women's soccer coach.

"After 24 years at the helm of the women's soccer program, it is time to explore new possibilities and begin a different chapter in my life. It is the right time to hand the team over to the next Yale women's soccer coach who can guide the team into the future," said Meredith.

Meredith Resigns as Head Coach

signed proffer agreement in May 2018, then in November 2018:

The Yale University Department of Athletics announced today that Rudy Meredith has resigned from his position as head women's soccer coach.

"After 24 years at the helm of the women's soccer program, it is time to explore new possibilities and begin a different chapter in my life. It is the right time to hand the team over to the next Yale women's soccer coach who can guide the team into the future," said Meredith.

Meredith Resigns as Head Coach
Ugh to that resignation letter. Time to explore new possibilities?! Just say good-bye and go.

jmo

There’s really no good way to say:

My future plans include reducing my assets substantially, making new friends in prison, and getting to know retirement life as a supervised parolee
Here's a good way: I'm sorry for my actions. I take responsibility for the wrong I did, and I accept the consequences. I deeply regret my involvement and especially putting the college and athletic department in a bad light. I disappointed the people closest to me, and I will put my effort into restoring their trust in me.

Not exactly college material is she, at least not now.
Some people do better after a few years out in the real world, they sew a few wild oats, mature and get a grasp on what they really want out of life, and then later are ready to go get that college education, really work for it, and do it on their own. Build some character. Instead LL and her family are now living a nightmare they never dreamed they’d be living. Kind of sad really.

more names are slowly coming out....

Chris Schaepe, co-founder of Lightspeed Venture Partners, was given the boot on Wednesday after he admitted to paying over $600,000 in cash and stock donations for Singer’s services.

Schaepe initially told his partners that he was dealing with a “personal matter” that could possibly “interfere with firm operations,” the website reports. After learning of his involvement with Singer, the firm “determined to separate from Chris to ensure this matter does not interfere with firm operations.” “The matter does not involve the firm, its personnel or its portfolio companies,” a spokesperson said.

Schaepe has not been charged in the federal case against Singer and his celebrity cohorts, but sources say he is one of the unnamed individuals mentioned in the complaint.

The documents refer to a father from Los Altos Hills, Calif., who hired Singer in 2014 to try and get his son into UT at Austin.

Even though he wasn’t charged, Schaepe reportedly hired a lawyer after learning about Singer’s arrest earlier this month.

A source said that the venture capitalist claims to have been duped into believing Singer was legitimate. They said Schaepe and his wife hired Singer in 2014 while their son was still in high school serving as the manager for the basketball and football teams.

Singer not only helped Schaepe’s son get into UT, but the hoops program as well.

“Hey Rick, I wanted to thank you personally for all your help getting me into the University of Texas in Austin, and for helping me secure a managers position with the UT basketball team,” the young man wrote in a note to Singer.

Lightspeed co-founder Chris Schaepe is out over college admissions scandal; a sports blogger exposed his son’s involvement

https://nypost.com/2019/03/28/silic...-ousted-over-ties-to-college-admissions-scam/

William McGlashan, fired by private equity giant TPG after being charged in a sweeping college admissions cheating scandal, has begun to sketch out his defense strategy.

In a court filing Wednesday seeking permission to accompany his family on a long-scheduled trip abroad next month, McGlashan’s lawyers took direct aim at a central claim in the government’s case -- that McGlashan discussed a $200,000 bribe to a college athletic director to get his son into the University of Southern California.

“Mr. McGlashan did not pay for the use of a so-called ‘side door’ to obtain admission for his son at USC or any other college,” his lawyers said in the filing, in which McGlashan seeks the return of his passport.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Robert Zangrillo, the CEO of the Miami-based investment firm Dragon Global and one of the main investors in the Magic City Innovation District in Little Haiti, is stepping away from the project to tend to his legal woes.

Zangrillo was charged with paying $50,000 to the USC Women’s Athletics in 2018 for his daughter Amber to be recruited by the school’s crew team, even though she had never rowed competitively.

He was also charged with making another payment of $200,000 to the nonprofit college prep business Key Worldwide Foundation. That group arranged for someone to secretly take classes on behalf of Amber to improve her grade point average.

USC had denied Amber’s college application in 2017, but she was granted admission in July 2018.

Robert Zangrillo steps away from Little Haiti project after college scam indictment

Rudolph “Rudy” Meredith, 51, is expected in court today and has agreed to plead guilty to federal charges.

Ex-Yale coach set to plead guilty for soliciting almost $1 million in bribes in college admissions scandal

Yale president said:

... this week the school confirmed the pre-admission athletic credentials dating to 2015 of all members of the school's athletic teams who received an athletic endorsement during the admission process. "Furthermore, with the exception of the single student who was fraudulently admitted, we have determined that all enrolled Yale students who were admitted with an athletic endorsement played at least one season on their varsity sports team," he said.

The school has said it believes Meredith gave “fraudulent athletic endorsements” for only two applicants. The school rescinded the admission of the student who was admitted into the school, he said. The other was denied admission despite Meredith’s endorsement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert