MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #5 - Chauvin Trial Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has hands. She can take a pulse. She can do chest compressions. She stated her training and experience and how she could have aided in her testimony, under oath. Did you hear what she said?
Yes, i heard what she said. Do you think the officers were going to say hell yes please come over here as she is screaming profanities at them. She is not an expert in life saving treatments, so her testimony meant nothing to me. She had training in cpr. I think my babysitter does too.

Last edited:
And that will be the looonnnnnng part of the trial. Was it long hauler COVID? (he was positive). Was it the THC (3 different species) on top of the fentanyl at 11 ng/ml mixed coctail with methamphetamine at 19 ng/ml?from hoofing? What caused his lungs to be twice the expected weight? etc. etc. etc.

Nothwithstanding, they did not put him in a recovery position or anything once they knew that he didn't have a pulse. I think we can all agree to that at this time.
We absolutely can agree on that. No question.
On a side note related to the official autopsy, I had read a while back that the ME originally claimed there was no evidence of asphyxiation.... neck tissues/ muscles were not damaged, hyoid bone was intact, no eye hemmorages, etc..
I read the official report again and the findings seem to support his original assertions. I imagine the defense is going to rely heavily on the official findings.

I also believe, IMO, the report paid for by the Floyd family will be fairly easily be picked apart.

And that will be the looonnnnnng part of the trial. Was it long hauler COVID? (he was positive). Was it the THC (3 different species) on top of the fentanyl at 11 ng/ml mixed coctail with methamphetamine at 19 ng/ml?from hoofing? What caused his lungs to be twice the expected weight? etc. etc. etc.

Nothwithstanding, they did not put him in a recovery position or anything once they knew that he didn't have a pulse. I think we can all agree to that at this time.

The case seems open and shut until you look at the entirety. It's very complex once you look at the contributing factors. It's unimaginable that aid wasn't rendered to GF. No matter what the outcome is - nobody is going to win this one.

I wonder if the ambulance crew had the time to assess the crowd situation, or if the officers said "Grab and go"? Because the officers knew George was dead, and they had snuffed his ability to breathe away from him. I guess we'll find out during the trial.

Did you see the post I just bumped for margarita? It has the time stamp of when no pulse, and that they said they planned to load and go when ambulance got there.

I was gone all day, and didn't get to watch anything. We are on Spectrum to watch court tv live during the day. Does anyone know where I can watch today's trial tonight so I won't be hopelessly behind.

Yes / from earlier notes (I hope I time-stamped them correctly, was multitasking, if not apologies in advance - it was also live at the time so it may be screwy

Day 2, starts here:

*Minor’s testimony starts at 4:51

*GH’s testimony (firefighter/EMT) starts at 6:33ish

Last edited:
Yes, i heard what she said. Do you think the officers were going to say hell yes please come over here as she is screaming profanities at them. She is not an expert in life saving treatments, so her testimony met nothing to me. She had training in cpr. I think my babysitter does too.
Maybe they should have quit worrying about someone yelling at them and notice they were killing a man who needed help!

Late catching up here on all the comments...
What was the point of having the 9 year old girl testify? I am not sure she added anything new, and it was sad to see a child up there.

Regarding the EMTs testimony...what stuck out to me is how she said she knows how to do her job and would not be distracted whatsoever by hecklers, etc.

I believe that the 4 minors were on the stand as they consisted of more than 50% of the folks standing there. To nip in the bud that it was a threatening angry mob that they feared for their safety. Police get yelled at by crowds.... it happens.

I was gone all day, and didn't get to watch anything. We are on Spectrum to watch court tv live during the day. Does anyone know where I can watch today's trial tonight so I won't be hopelessly behind.

Head to the media / trial thread here anytime to catch up on a specific days video testimonies. There is a header for which trial day it is, a list of who testified (in order) that day, and the video. Later in the evening or next am... more media articles about that day are added. HTH MN - George Floyd, 46, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 **Media & Timeline - NO DISCUSSION

Last edited:
The EMT testimony was understandable to me. She had hundreds of hrs of training to do her job, and she was a credible witness as she spoke directly to the officer, stated her position and told him directly what he was doing in rescue language. I have not had one officer question me when I rendered aid in an incident I happened upon. Ever. The opposite, they wave you in right away to help. Just imagine a 3 car wreck, multiple injuries, poles and wires down, triaging victims, traffic, bystanders, incoming important other police calls to respond to, assessing the scene and needed backup like helicopters...oh my gosh, they are alwayz happy to have your help. It must be very hard to be a young EMT, dealing with an atypical response and now in court having to testify with her certifications hanging in the balance. I can understand her demeanor, she appears dedicated to prioritizing others often above her own well being. That is the job. Also, if she appears forthright, that is also a part of the job. Assertive enough to handle the worst situations in a take charge manner because you signed up to do that. MOO.

Yes, i heard what she said. Do you think the officers were going to say hell yes please come over here as she is screaming profanities at them. She is not an expert in life saving treatments, so her testimony met nothing to me. She had training in cpr. I think my babysitter does too.

She's a trained firefighter and a trained EMT. Her CPR training was when she was a young lifeguard.

You bring up an important point and one that bystanders were likely not privy to at the time. He said he couldn’t breathe several times before he was taken to the ground. I wonder if that played any part in LE response to GF saying that he couldn’t breathe when DC was kneeling on him.

Previous history with Mr Floyd may have played a part in this group of LE’s response, but is it standard protocol for LE to assume someone is “crying wolf” if they have said “I can’t breath” during another arrest or in another position? People who are standing up can feel that they can’t breathe (get enough oxygen) for any number of reasons that should never be discounted IMO. I can’t imagine that’s the time to place the suspect face down and have the weight of three men on him. The bystanders knew what they were seeing.
JMO

How do you know she has the skills because she said she does. An EMT of 2 years could save GF's life. Did she have Narcan? Did she have oxygen? Did she have a heart monitor? Can she read a heart monitor? Remember she is an EMT. I feel like the witnesses have been highly coached, esp with the 9 yr old girl today. It was a total disgrace. The witnesses&video so far imo have proved to me that there is no respect for law enforcement & that it is a serious problem. I have no dog in this fight, but i will say that if i saw an officer on a guy imo he did something wrong that i am not aware of & i keep walking. Not one of these witnesses tried to calm the crowd. What did they do they all had their phones out. How ridiculous is that? They added more violence to a chaotic situation. Why would Chauvin get off of GF. He had no idea what state Gf was in. He had his eyes on the crowd, not GF. He certainly wasn't going to get off of GF & chance GF getting up & the mob going after the officers with a total loss of control. But, hey in this world we are now living in, that totally would have been okay though.

As a person with training, I will say this. She could have used her hands to do chest compressions to oxygenate blood and move it through his system. She didn't need anything else until more advanced help would arrive as she didn't have access to any other items.

There was not a disgrace in these people stating what they saw. Chauvin and his team had a duty of care as Mr. Floyd was in their custody. If he was unconscious, the training I have is that the person is checked for breathing and pulse, if breathing and pulse but unconscious they are placed in the recovery position. If not breathing but pulse, you check the airway for any issues. If not breathing and no pulse, you begin compressions as the brain and other tissues with rapidly deteriorate and lessen the chance of survival.

Mr. Floyd would be unable to get up easily if he regained consciousness as he was cuffed. The LE could have left the other two on his low body and he would not have been able to move at all.

According to the training I have (done with Fire, Rescue, and Police), she was right to say what was needed. They gave no aid and didn't perform the assessments that they should have after he lost consciousness.

Her testimony imo could work in the defense's favor. According to her professional experience, medical help should have been there in two minutes. The time it took to respond was unacceptable. Nelson elaborated on that to raise doubt and to take the blame away from Chauvin, as the reason he died, and place it on dispatch/EMT's response time. IE, he may have died because of delayed medical care. I believe this will help him during closing arguments.
He was hoping to frustrate her enough to make her snap, showing the jury she was "one of those angry crowd members." Having the jury removed like that is not a good thing, especially if they don't know why. It didn't help her at all. imo.

(I'm a few pages behind in the thread now, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.)

I was concerned about that potential 'shift of blame' too, while watching that portion of testimony. HOWEVER, GF was in the custody and care of those MPD officers, and it was THEIR DUTY to render him aid immediately upon it becoming evident that he was in need of medical attention. Instead, DC continued to grind his knee into GF's neck for several minutes after he'd obviously lost consciousness, and had even been told by his fellow officers that he had passed out AND they couldn't find a pulse! His actions were absolutely inexcusable, diabolical and horrific, IMO.

That being said, I'm far more concerned about details in the medical reports that will come into evidence. Particularly after watching Keung's bodycam footage (posted upthread), which I assume will also become an Exhibit that the Jury will have to endure. While I am unshakable in my thought that DC deserves to rot in prison because of the choices he made that day, I'm no longer as convinced as I'd previously been that Mr. Floyd wasn't already on the brink of death before DC stepped in to 'show those rookies how a real cop handles perps'. It appears as though he was truly struggling to breathe before all of that started. LOTS more information to learn in this case.

Unless it was drugs that killed him, right?
I suspect they’ll have a hard time selling that it was just a simple drug overdose that happened to happen at the exact same time someone kneeled on his neck for nearly 10 minutes. But I’m sure they’ll try. What else are they supposed to do with video of the entire incident out there for all the world to see.

Back to my stabbing victim... if they happened to have a potentially lethal dose of drugs in their system, and it took a long time for the ambulance to arrive while they bled out, I doubt I’m off the hook for stabbing them.

I can’t recall a trial ever starting off by having so many buffoons as a witness. It’s almost embarrassing for being this early on. From not being able to spell their name, to a witness who looked like she had no desire to be there whatsoever.

The EMT was a godsend for the defense, IMO. I thought she was a bit rude, refused testimony, contradictory, and the judge appeared to think so too.

If you haven’t, you owe it to yourself to watch these witnesses so far.

Here's the good news: by the end of this trial these witnesses will be a distant memory!!! LOL- I don't agree that they are buffoons though--- but they are not the meat of the case.

(Wait, rewind, I can’t keep up with you (as usual :D):

He had three different “species” of THC? They can tell the “species“? Whatcha mean, like the strains? I didn’t know they could tell that...but I guess I never really looked into it. (Probably bc I was too busy smoking weed lol). Can you please point me in the direction of that reference if you get a chance? Tia.

Per your request... screen shot of tox part of autopsy of George FLoyd I have in my notes. 3 types of THC you can google... depends on if it's recent or longer and has metabolized...

Floydautopsyresults.JPG

EZdN396WsAAVlos

She's a trained firefighter and a trained EMT. Her CPR training was when she was a young lifeguard.

Like all professional rescuers, EMTs are certified in CPR during their training which would include CPR, AED, using BVMs, administering oxygen. Recertification happens on a regular basis.

This is the UCLA course for EMT:

Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) students complete a course that is a minimum of 170 hours in length. EMTs are educated in assessing a patient and determining if any life threatening injuries or illnesses may be present. This includes splinting injuries for a patient following a motor vehicle collision, administering life saving epinephrine for a patient suffering an allergic reaction, or even administering CPR to a patient in cardiac arrest. Other skills the EMT will learn include oxygen administration, bag valve mask ventilations, delivery of a newborn, and even administration of several medications. An EMT’s assessment skills, the ability to quickly recognize if someone is dying, is the best tool in their tool box and the primary focus of the EMT education.

In general, to be eligible for enrollment into an EMT course you do not need to have any previous medical experience. The eligibility requirements and prerequisites for EMT and paramedic courses may vary from school to school. Be sure to check with the school’s and your state’s regulations before you enroll for a course. For example, in California you must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible to certify as an EMT. https://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/node/27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500