AZ AZ - Alissa Turney, 17, Phoenix, 17 May 2001 *stepdad ARREST in 2020, acquitted*

I just saw the 20/20 episode from 2014 on this case. Man, that stepfather topped out my hinky meter. One of those where everyone is lying but him and all evidence is planted. The security cameras all over the house remind me of the Nicki Lisle case. (Her husband was always recording his family and didn't let his kids have bedroom doors). His other daughter Sarah defended him in the episode. At the very end, John Quinones gives a little update where he says Sarah told them no longer believes her father is completely innocent. Wonder what happened there?
I also wonder if the stepfather ever gave any explanation for taking her out of school that day. That's very odd. Anyway, I believe she is long dead but wish her body could be recovered someday.

I just saw the 20/20 episode from 2014 on this case. Man, that stepfather topped out my hinky meter. One of those where everyone is lying but him and all evidence is planted. The security cameras all over the house remind me of the Nicki Lisle case. (Her husband was always recording his family and didn't let his kids have bedroom doors). His other daughter Sarah defended him in the episode. At the very end, John Quinones gives a little update where he says Sarah told them no longer believes her father is completely innocent. Wonder what happened there?
I also wonder if the stepfather ever gave any explanation for taking her out of school that day. That's very odd. Anyway, I believe she is long dead but wish her body could be recovered someday.
I can't remember whether she said it in the Missing Alissa podcast or her interview with John Lordan (possibly both), but Sarah said that the ABC program revealed a lot of information she hadn't known before and after watching it her opinion about her father started to change.

This hasn't been posted yet - here's a new interview with Alissa's sister, Sarah:

The home video clip at around the 35 minute mark of Alissa calling her stepfather a pervert and him calling her a stupid moron really disturbs me...

Hello there. This thread has not been active for a while but I just wanted to post something. I am Alissa's cousin, and wanted to thank all of you for trying your best to help us with the case. I didn't realize until I came upon these posts yesterday that there were many people other than detectives working on the case, and to see this makes me more happy than I can say.

There will be a story about Alissa on ABC's 20/20 either at the end of this month or some time in August. If you are interested and see this I will post information about when it will be when we know for sure.

Thank you again
Hi Midgardian, are there any new updates on Alissa’s case? Any new links you can provide for us sleuthers? Still thinking about Alissa......

CASE NUMBER - 218UFAZ

Anyone know if this person has been ruled out as a match for Alissa? The age, height, weight and area are a match. The sketch's eyes, mouth and chin seem a good match to me.

Seems very unlikely that report says the body was most likely there/deceased up to a year prior to the date of discovery and they discovered it a month after she was missing I believe

Seems very unlikely that report says the body was most likely there/deceased up to a year prior to the date of discovery and they discovered it a month after she was missing I believe
She has been ruled out

This is an old case but I’m new to learning about it. I’m currently on Episode 6 of her sister Sarah’s new podcast- Voices for Justice.

I’m curious as to what the working theory is as to what exactly her stepdad did to her, and the specific motive. (I’m not questioning that he could have done something or that he had a general motive since he’d been abusing her). But I’m wondering what people think in terms of the specific actions he took the day she disappeared. And I’m also curious as to what people think was the “straw that broke the camels back.” Is the working theory that she was just getting too old to be under his thumb?

In terms of cause of death do people believe he drugged her to kill her, or shot her, etc? That he buried her in the desert or used chemicals from the purchase receipt, etc? Is there a theory he passed her off to someone else to kill her? (vis a vis the calls to unknown numbers that day)

Or is there even one specific working theory? Like I said I’m new to the case, so perhaps this has been rehashed many times, or has been mentioned in other various podcasts that I’ve not listened to yet (if so, apologies).

This is an old case but I’m new to learning about it. I’m currently on Episode 6 of her sister Sarah’s new podcast- Voices for Justice.

I’m curious as to what the working theory is as to what exactly her stepdad did to her, and the specific motive. (I’m not questioning that he could have done something or that he had a general motive since he’d been abusing her). But I’m wondering what people think in terms of the specific actions he took the day she disappeared. And I’m also curious as to what people think was the “straw that broke the camels back.” Is the working theory that she was just getting too old to be under his thumb?

In terms of cause of death do people believe he drugged her to kill her, or shot her, etc? That he buried her in the desert or used chemicals from the purchase receipt, etc? Is there a theory he passed her off to someone else to kill her? (vis a vis the calls to unknown numbers that day)

Or is there even one specific working theory? Like I said I’m new to the case, so perhaps this has been rehashed many times, or has been mentioned in other various podcasts that I’ve not listened to yet (if so, apologies).

The Missing Alisa podcast is also great, @Jinkasaurus links it above.

I don't know about other peoples theories on COD, I don't think he passed her off to someone else - I think he was quite capable and cold enough to do it himself (however he went about it). I personally think he thought she was going to speak to her aunt about her abuse and he killed her to keep her quiet.

Sarah mentions the chemicals and desert in one of her blog posts, 5 Reasons Why I Know My Father Killed My Sister

Last edited:

Personally I think the straw that broke the camels back was she was sick of the abuse and the overbearing presence he held in her life. I think he did not mean to kill her but that she refused some sort of affection from him, and he flew off the handle but being a cop previously he was able to cover his tracks. But not good enough that her sister was not like "umm what".

Phoenix woman in search of justice in missing sister’s 2001 disappearance uses TikTok videos in hope of solving case
June 13, 2020
By Andrea Cavallier

''It was the last day of school for students in Phoenix, Arizona – May 17, 2001. School was letting out just in time for another sweltering Arizona summer. It was the last day of classes for sisters Alissa and Sarah Turney.
alissa_older_pic_a760ba3f22de0d47ad0b1bb92e72675c.fit-760w.jpg

Alissa TurneyContributed photo by Turney family
Alissa, 17, had just finished her junior year at Paradise Valley High School. Sarah, who was 12 years old at the time, was finishing her last day of 7th grade with a class field trip to a nearby water park.

Sarah Turney told Dateline she remembers her sister being excited for summer and planning to attend a graduation party later that evening.

Alissa never made it to that party and May 17, 2001 was the last time anyone saw her alive.

Nineteen years later, Sarah, now in her 30s, spends most of her time searching for answers about what happened to her sister and advocating for justice in her case.

“I’m never going to give up,” Sarah told Dateline. “Alissa is my whole life. Finding out what happened to her has become my life.”

Was Alissa Turney murdered? Shocking find in missing persons mystery

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/was-alissa-turney-murdered-shocking-find-in-missing-persons-mystery/news-story/ba196a18623bf55fb828724b8b127bb3

Almost two decades after 17-year-old Alissa Turney disappeared, her sister Sarah discovered something about the day she went missing.

....Her dad, a former deputy sheriff, was arrested after police raided his house and found 26 homemade pipe bombs.

The Attorney-General’s office said he planned to drive a van laden with explosives into a local union hall with which he had a dispute, then shoot survivors who came out of the front door.

The case made the news and media started to link Michael Turney with the case of missing Alissa Turney – could a guy who devised a bomb attack also be involved in the disappearance of his stepdaughter?

For Sarah, the plot seemed so at odds with the dad she knew and loved. “I believed he was innocent,” she says. “He told me that the police planted the bombs. I didn’t know what to think, I didn’t in a million years think he was responsible for Alissa.”

....Alissa’s disappearance began churning around in her mind. One thing that always bothered Sarah about the case was the realisation that her dad had taken Alissa out of school early the day she disappeared but hadn’t told anyone.

“Why did he never tell us about that? It’s so strange,” says Sarah.

Police also got in touch with her and laid out information about the case.

“They told me straight out that they thought Alissa was forced to write the runaway note,” says Sarah.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back