Found Deceased CA - Lucas Horan, 39, Emeryville Marina, 24 Dec 2020

She's mentioned so many plans of action, that it's hard to pinpoint one thing imo.

Homeless camps, fighting, kicking him out of the car, then let's meet up later....etc
where does one begin?

Depends where your inclination to believe he went goes. IMO the story is both so detailed and all over the place it seems both everything and nothing is important to finding him. I think this one needs more LE info (phone messages, surveillance footage etc). I feel as though we'd need to know that the story from KKF has been validated by police before anything can really be done. MOO, and not meant to discourage anyone's plans to sleuth, just stumped myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
In swim class, they had us jump in with jeans on to show how they weigh you down. We had to take them off, tie the legs, flip them around to get air in them and use them to float. It is not easy to swim in jeans... I imagine he is pretty strong but still, wet jeans, wet fleece... why would anyone take a swim in that? IMHO it would not be by choice, getting away, or?

P.S can someone confirm that KKF’s story site is allowed to be referenced and looked into? She's a fiancee but not sure if that counts as family. Seems they needed his parents to allow LE onto his boat so it may be semantic.

In swim class, they had us jump in with jeans on to show how they weigh you down. We had to take them off, tie the legs, flip them around to get air in them and use them to float. It is not easy to swim in jeans... I imagine he is pretty strong but still, wet jeans, wet fleece... why would anyone take a swim in that? IMHO it would not be by choice, getting away, or?
Yeah, I agree. I don't want to be overly suspicious of the story but so much of it just makes no sense. He was a scientist. He was theoretically incredibly smart, why would he go for a swim in the middle of the night through an area boats drive around without any visibility gear?

100-200 yards may not be all that far but 100 yards is about a football field. That's not only a far swim at dark (a boat could easily hit you) but could the neighbour have even been able to see him, let alone identify him at that distance at that time at night?

So much of this story doesn't make sense. Whether one is an accomplished athlete and a good swimmer or not, jumping into the bay with shoes and clothes on at night makes very little sense, unless he was maybe more inebriated than believed. Even then, it makes little sense. And if his neighbor was not certain if LH made it to shore, why wasn't he sounding an alarm then, or actively searching for him? Wouldn't he at the least be concerned when there was no sign of his neighbor (LH) the next morning?

So much of this story doesn't make sense. Whether one is an accomplished athlete and a good swimmer or not, jumping into the bay with shoes and clothes on at night makes very little sense, unless he was maybe more inebriated than believed. Even then, it makes little sense. And if his neighbor was not certain if LH made it to shore, why wasn't he sounding an alarm then, or actively searching for him? Wouldn't he at the least be concerned when there was no sign of his neighbor (LH) the next morning?
It was Christmas morning, so perhaps there's reason not to worry when someone isn't in their home. But I do wonder about the lack of confirmation, and how possibly KKF would think LH went down the marina and past the Chinese food restaurant towards a homeless encampment. How oddly specific. That'd be something confirmed with CCTV, which I don't think would be withheld if that was the case.

Also, the "onesie" running / searching event may seem odd to many here (not a very conventional SAR), but over 200 people have joined the "finding Lucas" Strava running group, logging a couple thousand km's already. So that's a lot of eyes on the trail looking for him if indeed that's where he went. Links to these are from message #2 on this thread from @mlhenn.

Last edited:
what we know — FINDING LUCAS

To Note
From his fiancé’ /gf:
He did tell me in a text message while we were trying to find out way to each other after our stop at the Costco parking lot: “I feel like I need to prepare to spend the next 7 days alone.” - the comment seemed off-handed at the time, but now I’m wondering if he planned to disappear for 7 days. I’m not sure and I certainly have a lot of regrets about not going over to the boat that night to be with him, not being nicer and more loving in our conversations, and not being concerned about his being missing prior to the afternoon on Christmas Day.

So let’s say he did go off to be alone for 7 days, he should be showing back up now...
IMO, it’s one thing for someone to need some personal time away from others; it’s another thing to leave without saying a word or contacting anyone at some point.

I’d like to know more about who’s boat he was on & why he didn’t bring his cell phone with him? Seems like he posts a fair amount of pics of him around the bay, so why didn’t he bring his cell phone with him when he went to look at lights on Christmas Eve on the bay? (But I always have my phone, so maybe that’s not him). They said his cell phone was found on his boat. Also, curious who’s boat he was on. A lot on social media, but doesn’t seem like there’s anything by people who were with him that night (at least nothing in which they identify that).

I’d like to know more about who’s boat he was on & why he didn’t bring his cell phone with him? Seems like he posts a fair amount of pics of him around the bay, so why didn’t he bring his cell phone with him when he went to look at lights on Christmas Eve on the bay? (But I always have my phone, so maybe that’s not him). They said his cell phone was found on his boat. Also, curious who’s boat he was on. A lot on social media, but doesn’t seem like there’s anything by people who were with him that night (at least nothing in which they identify that).

This doesn’t answer your questions specifically but may help some!
what we know — FINDING LUCAS

•He told me (gf) he was going to hang out with his neighbor and plan to come to my house at 7am.
•Lucas and his neighbor had gone for a boat ride
•Lucas was supposedly at his house pot hanging out with his neighbor and chatting about life and such.
•When Lucas didn’t show up at 7am, I was a bit concerned but didn’t think too much of it since I had thought it might have just slept in which wouldn’t have been uncharacteristic. And he sometimes doesn’t show up on time and lets his phone run out of batteries (his phone was off).
•wrote it off as him falling asleep and his phone dying and therefore not having an alarm go off.

•I asked the neighbor on the other side where he was, she mentioned he had been hanging out with the neighbor on the opposite side so she called him to check in. He apparently was very surprised Lucas was not back at the boat or with me since he appeared to the neighbor to have made it back to shore without issue (and it has been low tide).

This is an extremely odd story... and if the genders were reversed everybody would be assuming the significant other is the suspect. Odd aspects include but are not limited to:
  1. Putting ‘your side of the story’ on the website
  2. Requesting you be contacted and not to reach out to family
  3. The fight
  4. The oddly specific details in the story
  5. The plan to re-propose to him on Christmas Day in front of ex-husband <modsnip>
I tend to believe that some of this can be explained by mental health issues, and that it is hopefully being corroborated and investigated closely. I was disappointed to see Emeryville PD repost her site etc but that may just be to avoid her feeling like she is being looked into. <modsnip>

I hope he is okay, but this is extremely unusual. If one was watching Dateline or a documentary it would be too obvious as to what happened... I don’t buy the theories and if he’d drowned I feel his body would have been found unless it was the product of foul play.

Depends where your inclination to believe he went goes. IMO the story is both so detailed and all over the place it seems both everything and nothing is important to finding him. I think this one needs more LE info (phone messages, surveillance footage etc). I feel as though we'd need to know that the story from KKF has been validated by police before anything can really be done. MOO, and not meant to discourage anyone's plans to sleuth, just stumped myself.

Agreed. Not to be insensitive, but this man is still missing and every version needs to be validated. Where were both cellphones at during their last texting exchange? What can we learn from KKF’s, the neighbor's and Lucas' phones' geolocation data on Dec 24th? There's also mention that Lucas was not seen (on CCTV) leaving the Marina at any point, but was he definitely seen entering the Marina? Did he indeed go into the Marina and on that boat ride that night?

This is an extremely odd story... and if the genders were reversed everybody would be assuming the significant other is the suspect. Odd aspects include but are not limited to:
  1. Putting ‘your side of the story’ on the website
  2. Requesting you be contacted and not to reach out to family
  3. The fight
  4. The oddly specific details in the story
  5. The plan to re-propose to him on Christmas Day in front of ex-husband, from whom she is not yet divorced (look up their names - legal history and status all available) - despite them being split since 2017 and her admitting on Instagram she does not have custody as of October
I tend to believe that some of this can be explained by mental health issues, and that it is hopefully being corroborated and investigated closely. I was disappointed to see Emeryville PD repost her site etc but that may just be to avoid her feeling like she is being looked into. Her insta post New Year’s Eve was flat out odd.

I hope he is okay, but this is extremely unusual. If one was watching Dateline or a documentary it would be too obvious as to what happened... I don’t buy the theories and if he’d drowned I feel his body would have been found unless it was the product of foul play.

The requesting she be contacted rather than family was very sus and I’ve never seen a family detract from the official investigation like that. She can pass along info to the cops from there? Seems like a great opportunity to cherry pick what LE gets sent. MOO.

I know the point of the Lucas Memories thing is to get his face out there, but that section of the webpage was so bizarre and morbid to me. Add in the twitter posts being in past tense it seems even those close to him think he’s gone.

It’s been a week, I think normally people hold out hope, especially if everyone seems to believe he got out of the water and is running through the trails in his (probably still wet) jeans.

Edited to add: has anyone else had any luck finding a place where you can “build a meteorite with an expert”? On Christmas Day no less?

MOD NOTE:

To try to help us all stay within the Websleuths’ Terms of Service on the relatively new and puzzling case:

- We MAY sleuth (research online, link and post info about) the MISSING PERSON, but NOT any family members or friends, UNLESS/UNTIL they are mentioned as POIs/suspects in this case.
- We may NOT state that we think anyone is responsible for this disappearance UNLESS/UNTIL they have been named as a POI/suspect by LE.
- We MAY link/discuss the social media of the MISSING PERSON, but NOT anyone else related to the missing person UNLESS/UNTIL they have been named as a POI/suspect by LE.
- We MAY link and discuss what anyone has been quoted as saying in an MSM (mainstream media) article. The discussion must remain on what was said, and not go beyond any other info that was NOT published in MSM.
- When we discuss what someone has said in a MSM article, PLEASE USE THEIR INITIALS to remain within the family- and friend-friendly policy of WS.
- Any info we post AS FACT MUST be linked to a MSM article or LE statement where the info appeared to substantiate that info. Otherwise it is considered rumor, and a violation of TOS.
- IF YOU CAN’T LINK IT, YOU CAN’T POST IT.
- If we post something that is our opinion, we must add a disclaimer such as IMHO, or “I think....”, etc.
- If we post something along the lines of “I heard....” or “I think I saw...”, that is considered RUMOR and will be removed.
- If we see another member posting something that is not allowed, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO IT. Instead, click the report link of the questionable post, and the moderators will check it out and determine if it is in violation. Replying to questionable posts only adds to a tedious clean-up of the thread by moderation, and may result in a temporary thread closure in order to do that.
- We may NOT discuss removed posts or moderator actions on the public thread as that is a serious TOS violation and may result in loss of posting privileges.

Websleuths intentionally has higher standards than most other discussion sites on the internet. We believe these are necessary to protect the victims, families and friends of crimes and missing persons’ cases discussed here and our members. THANK YOU for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly according to the TOS we all agreed to when we joined. Your contributions are appreciated and valued.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

The Rules

Last edited:
At least one version of the missing posters describes LH as "covid long".
Sorry what does this mean??

Imo they seem like an eccentric couple of people, making their statements and actions much harder to judge as there’s a whole spectrum of what’s “normal”
I wouldn’t be surprised if he did show back up soon. Hopeful that’s the case! Moo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back