GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First and foremost Websleuths is a true crime discussion forum. A very close second is we are a victim friendly forum. Rarely do these two descriptions collide. In the Papini case, discussion forum and victim friendly forum smash head-on into each other.

First and foremost we are a discussion forum.

Because there are many mainstream media articles about the discrepancies in Sherri's story, we must allow a discussion to contain opinions that Sherri is not truthful, and the next logical leap is we must allow the theory that Sherri is not telling the truth about her kidnapping.

This is very difficult. We have the police saying they believe Sherri is telling the truth yet there are discrepancies.

Not that this played any part in my decision on what to allow in the Papini discussion I can tell you I can't find anyone who believes her other than a handful of posters on Websleuths.

Let me just throw this out there;what if everyone is wrong? Can you imagine the pain?

Before I tell you the rules for discussion Sherri's case, I want to envision you are sitting with Sherri, her husband, and her CHILDREN, while you are telling them your theory. Keep that vision in your mind while you type your post.

Whatever you choose to say (within TOS of course) you can do so in a kind and mature manner. With that in mind here is what is now open for discussion.

*You can discuss the discrepancies in Sherri's statements, her husband's, or anyone else who has given a statement to the police.

*You can discuss the discrepancies reported by the mainstream media. Example: Fox News Story Sherri Papini case: DNA evidence triggers new questions over 'super mom' kidnapping claim

*You can discuss, like a mature person who is expressing their opinion in front of the whole Papini family, why you believe Sherri Papini is not telling the truth. A side note if you want I would love to read your theories on why the police are so adamant she is telling the truth

*You cannot use rumor and innuendo to explain your theory as to why Papini made up the kidnapping story. Must be fact-based. Meaning mainstream media and police sources.

If everyone uses common sense and does not reduce this discussion to name calling and all kinds of other immature acts, we shouldn't have a problem.

Basing your opinion/posts on the facts in this case and doing so in a mature manner will mean the Papini thread will stay open. We shouldn't have any problems.

A year after California mom’s mysterious disappearance, new info surfaces | fox8.com

Sherri Papini: California Mom Had Male DNA on Her

BACKSTORY:

Redding Crime 2.0

Missing Person Sherri Papini
14956607_10208327554372096_6103506709758080591_n.j  pg

Video here from KRCR News Channel → [video]

UPDATE: Papini ransom money now going to anyone who turns in 'abductor'

skibaboo's Case Map

MEDIA/TIMELINES/MAPS

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18
Thread #19
Thread #20
Thread #21
Thread #22
Thread #23
Thread #24
14956607_10208327554372096_6103506709758080591_n.j  pg

Video here from KRCR News Channel → [video]

Redding Crime 2.0

Authorities search for missing woman in Shasta County

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! It's about time. I never thought we'd see the day.

Sherri Papini arrested for making false statements about her kidnapping

Officials announced that 39-year-old Sherri Papini of Redding was arrested Thursday on charges of making false statements to a federal law enforcement officer and engaging in mail fraud.

<snip>

According to the criminal complaint filed in this case, on Nov. 2, 2016, Papini was reported missing, and extensive searches were conducted for her in Shasta County and California as well as in several other states.

<snip>

The DOJ says that in truth, Papini had been voluntarily staying with a former boyfriend in Costa Mesa and had harmed herself to support her false statements.

<snip>

According to the DOJ, in an interview conducted by a federal agent and a Shasta County Sheriff’s Office detective in August 2020, Papini was warned that it was a crime to lie to federal agents. She was presented with evidence that showed she had not been abducted. Instead of retracting her kidnapping story, Papini continued to make false statements about her purported abductors. In addition, Papini caused the California Victim’s Compensation Board to pay victim assistance money based on her kidnapping story. From 2017 through 2021, Papini’s request for victim assistance caused approximately 35 payments totaling over $30,000, including for visits to her therapist and for the ambulance that transported her to the hospital after her return.

Just today 3/3/22 Sherri Papini was arrested for allegedly lying to the police and faking her kidnapping (from back in 2016). It is posted in a few local news outlets, here is the link to the Sac Bee (I think that's MSM) https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article259034893.html

I remember this case & can't believe it! I always wondered how the family was doing. I can't imagine what her poor family is going through now, after all that from a few years ago :(.

Sherri Papini arrested for lying to federal agents, mail fraud

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sherri Papini, 39, was arrested on Thursday for lying to federal agents about a kidnapping and engaging in mail fraud, ....

The DOJ said Papini, who is of Redding, was arrested for making false statements to a federal law enforcement officer and defrauding the Victim Compensation Board.

Detectives learned this was a false narrative and Papini had been voluntarily staying with a former boyfriend in Costa Mesa and harmed herself, the DOJ said.

whoopsie!

IMO her story started to unravel long, long ago, but I haven't given her a thought for quite some time. To me this news is out of the blue, but I'm glad she's been arrested.

My heart goes out to her children and her husband. If I recall correctly, he seemed to believe her.

Here's a link to the entire 55 page Federal Criminal Complaint. Interesting reading with a lot of detail on this case.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edca/press-release/file/1479901/download

Yes, and as I mentioned earlier, I don't 'get' how the male DNA found on her underwear 'matches up' with the DNA later found on a bottle in the ex boyfriend's garbage with him; if he says in the statement that he did not have sexual relations with her. Obvious answer to that is that he was lying, but interesting nonetheless.

Yes, and as I mentioned earlier, I don't 'get' how the male DNA found on her underwear 'matches up' with the DNA later found on a bottle in the ex boyfriend's garbage with him; if he says in the statement that he did not have sexual relations with her. Obvious answer to that is that he was lying, but interesting nonetheless.
I agree. While the ex-boyfriends admissions to the FBI is enlightening I feel that he may have altered things a bit to make himself look better. JMO.

@RANCH thanks for providing the Criminal Complaint. Just read through it now.

Whatever the ex-boyfriend believed at first, once he was aware that she was a missing person, is there a crime he committed by not informing LE? I know she wasn’t a fugitive so he wasn’t guilty of harboring one, and she’s an adult, but it doesn’t seem right that he could just allow her to stay there while knowing she was considered missing.

Morally wrong I know, but criminally, I’m unsure.

However, he admitted to branding her since she wanted him to, and I cannot understand any thinking adult who would go along with that.

@RANCH thanks for providing the Criminal Complaint. Just read through it now.

Whatever the ex-boyfriend believed at first, once he was aware that she was a missing person, is there a crime he committed by not informing LE? I know she wasn’t a fugitive so he wasn’t guilty of harboring one, and she’s an adult, but it doesn’t seem right that he could just allow her to stay there while knowing she was considered missing.

Morally wrong I know, but criminally, I’m unsure.

However, he admitted to branding her since she wanted him to, and I cannot understand any thinking adult who would go along with that.
I'm not sure the ex-boyfriend did anything illegal but he sure made some poor choices like the branding you mentioned.

He seemed to go along with whatever SP wanted done with no questions asked. Just because he was her "friend". Right. JMO.

Wow!! About time. Hope she has to pay back all the money associated with searches, LE’s time, the courts time, the people that donated for search efforts, the victim money she got, compensation to all family affected, they are victims now, the list is endless!!! How can you go about your life knowing you did this awful thing that affected so many people. Blaming two Hispanic women is also a horrible thing to do. Disgraceful behaviour, I hope the punishment is as horrible as she made her family feel while she was gone. Moo

Wow!! About time. Hope she has to pay back all the money associated with searches, LE’s time, the courts time, the people that donated for search efforts, the victim money she got, compensation to all family affected, they are victims now, the list is endless!!! How can you go about your life knowing you did this awful thing that affected so many people. Blaming two Hispanic women is also a horrible thing to do. Disgraceful behaviour, I hope the punishment is as horrible as she made her family feel while she was gone. Moo
I don't know if she will ever have to pay back money spent on search's and other cost's associated with her hoax but she is facing some serious prison time and hefty fines.
If convicted of making false statements to a federal law enforcement officer, Papini faces a maximum statutory penalty of five years in prison and a fine up to $250,000. If convicted of mail fraud, she faces a maximum statutory penalty of 20 years in prison and a fine up to $250,000.

25 years in prison and $500,000 in fines is no joke. JMO.

Shasta County Woman Arrested for Lying to Federal Agents Regarding Kidnapping and Defrauding the Victim Compensation Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa