Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattle, can I just say how much I appreciate the presence of tech-savvy people like yourself, PaulR, and others who have taken the time to explain in layman's terms all of the digital info that's being discussed on this thread? Thank you. I think the electronic evidence is going to ultimately prove critical to both the solving of MT's disappearance and the successful prosecution of the perpetrator, if it ends up being due to foul play.

LaylaD, Jazzy5980, EllaMae and 8 others like this.
  2. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

I wish in this sci-fi, high-tech world, they could pinpoint which phones were closest physically to another phone at a certain time. I mean, like which five phone numbers are closest to my phone at this moment. But it is just a wish...though it sure would help here. Jmo

Whoops, did not mean to hit “reply to”...

Gussified, cass523 and EA18G like this.
  3. Mom24

Mom24 Well-Known Member

Thank you. Then that does change my thought pattern. If someone was breaking and entering in the area, they may have noticed the home and been inside when she returned from her run. Or it would have given someone amply opportunity to be in the home and prepare a situation to grab her without much attention.

gliving, cass523, NewYork625 and 2 others like this.
  4. cluciano63

Ha she hates being picked up, she is a little tough girl...

Breathe, Jazzy5980, Kapua and 3 others like this.
  5. Katiecat527

Katiecat527 New Member

This isn't necessarily true, it all depends on your notification settings. I am notified every time I receive a snap or chat message on Snapchat.

Breathe, wary, Gussified and 4 others like this.
  6. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

Dear Ariadne's_Thread,

Thank you for this message.

I absolutely agree!

The fact that these thoughtful people generously share their time to explain how certain technologies work is greatly appreciated !!!

LaylaD, MsBetsy, Kapua and 6 others like this.
  7. Harmony 2

Harmony 2 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

[​IMG]
    *the judgemental posts
    *the baiting posts
    *the sleuthing of non-POIs
    *the personalized posts
    *posts with screenshots
    *posts asking if a particular person is cleared

Alcina, HayLouise, JudgeJudi and 26 others like this.
  8. I don't think the timing of 'doing her homework' was ever completely clear either. Some here said they believed she did homework from 530-730 and then took off. Others aren't so sure. I think at this point its impossible to know but if she had alot of homework do to then she might have been doing it later in the evening and for some reason left her jogging gear on (run was only 15 min or so - another odd point) and figured she would shower later in the evening before going to bed. Arguments can be made for either scenario I think at this point.

wary, cass523, EA18G and 3 others like this.
  9. Emilyf886

Emilyf886 Well-Known Member

You’re absolutely right. The only time a missing person where I’m from had the FBI looking for her was when she was seen getting stabbed and forced into her car. No one knew who did it. To be honest, we still don’t.

feralwriter and Ivey like this.
  10. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

Scott Hawkins described the town where he grew up as a normally safe neighborhood where everyone knows everyone.

“This is a close knit community. We don’t have a lot of big things happen here crime wise. … I mean, this is something that’s shaken the community basically to its core,” he told Fox News in an interview.

Hawkins said that members of the community “are on edge,” and that the disappearance of Tibbetts, 20, is something that affects them personally.

“Any child in this community is basically a child of the entire community. We all stick together, we’re all part of, you know, one big group of people that knows everybody. So for somebody to go missing like this, and disappear off the face of the Earth with no trace, basically, this is a shock. This is something that, it’s made a lot of people really uncomfortable.”

Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance shook Iowa town 'to its core,' community watch organizer says

gliving, cass523, InvSmith and 5 others like this.
  11. i'm someone

i'm someone nope, forever a new member, moo

That's the thing, though. That generation is so obviously using media that parents and older people don't know about. I constantly worry about my niece, she is already able to use social media, video sites, and there are some really awful things right out in the regular internet they are now exposed to. People watch Youtube videos of other people being hurt including children, on a regular basis. It's beyond America's Funniest Home Videos, just try typing in "Vines" on Youtube. I saw 5 minutes of one compilation and had to turn it off. And there are hours and hours of it with millions of views. There is a general "mean-spiritedness" online in a lot of places, and the fact that we "don't want to go there" as older people shows how it's gone on unchecked. I don't believe in censorship, but there is definitely a dark side to social media and I seriously hope none of it had anything to do with this case. On the other hand, I am genuinely upset by all of the theories of some stranger just grabbing her randomly. Neither outcome is preferred, I would like to see her appear on the news and be fine and home.

12. Quill

Quill Well-Known Member

Not everyone has that option, though. I don't like blaming people exercising their freedoms for becoming victims of some sick individual. JMO

Alcina, Ozoner, Breathe and 8 others like this.
  13. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

I really can't take credit! Thank you for your contributions. :)

WHAT WE KNOW
    • Mollie's jogging clothing and devices are missing
    • she has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
    • the dogs were in the basement
    • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
    • she was seen running East on Pershing towards the Funeral Home
    • she was seen at the Funeral Home
    • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
    • she went for a run at 7:30
    • she usually runs for 45 minutes
    • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
    • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
    • video was collected from various businesses
    • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
    • she may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
    • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
    • Mollie was a creature of habit
    • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
    • This was the second night that Mollie was alone in the house
    • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
    • Her driver's license and debit card were at the house
    • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
    • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
    Thank you for the last one @Stippling.

HayLouise, Breathe, LaylaD and 16 others like this.
  14. Agree. More and more towns are limiting where drones can fly. It was strange footage for sure!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2018
  15. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

Dear Mom24,

I agree that it does open up a few more possibilities.

What is your opinion on the approximate time the authorities deem the laptop was used for homework? Most of the statements from the authorities use the word "evening". To me, evening can be as early as 7pm. Some quotes in news articles state "night".

I enjoy reading your posts and I wondered about your thoughts on "evening", "night".

Thanks in advance,

16. jillycat

jillycat Well-Known Member

In both those links and via video in one, LE will not confirm that and in the video said there are a lot of rumors and they try to quash or confirm as they can.

cass523 and Nancy1954 like this.
  17. Nancy1954

Nancy1954 greenmtngal

I agree cluciano63..the earbuds have made me wonder if she didn't hear whomever was meaning to do her harm..I wonder how loud she listened to the music?

I also agree that Mollie SHOULD OF had no reason to be afraid..but after reading some of the cases on here..I think that we should all learn to be more cautious ..because the boogeyman exists, and in my opinion we can't assume we are safe anywhere alone if we consider how many cases there are like Mollie's. Sad but true imo.

cass523, i'm someone and cluciano63 like this.
  18. cluciano63

I think level of FBI involvement depends on many factors...this one has a ton of digital stuff to wade through...that alone could take several people to get it done ASAP. And here in Abq, I notice the local FBI working with APD on all sorts of cases, even early on, and Abq has far more resources that this small Iowa town, I imagine.

19. feralwriter

feralwriter Pls. read THE GIFT OF FEAR. Trust your gut always.

Yeah. Wow. Crazy how these people get away with it. "To use the FBI's terminology, the national "clearance rate" for homicide today is 64.1 percent. Fifty years ago, it was more than 90 percent". Martin Kaste on npr.org

VeryVeritas likes this.
  20. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

This is what I am thinking happened too. I originally thought someone took her from the house but nothing was disturbed there and her red shirts were in her room at her mom's house so she HAD to go there to get them for next day's work. My question is, have the investigators and FBI asked the people living on that route to Mom's house if they saw her? I'm thinking some guy she knew hollered to her to get in his car for a ride there.

Ozoner, gliving, cass523 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.