Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone figured out where the red dot is south of interstate 80? No dots near WC. I founding that interesting.

This is a bit of speculation, but I wonder if it is an old one-room schoolhouse? I looked at google maps (and beacon) based on the intersection given on the finding Mollie map, and noticed a small building. I then referenced an 1914 atlas (on the library of congress website), and although the print is tiny, it appears that there was a schoolhouse at that intersection.

Can any locals verify?

Poweshiek County

Last edited:
One of the strangest things my son warned me about, when he began his cop job, was to be cautious around CAR WASHES. I was like 'What?'

Turns out that local drug dealers love to hang out there to make transactions. They are shielded somewhat, and can make exchanges relatively out of sight. And if a cop drives by they continue 'washing' their car. lol

On the local cops street patrol, they often make regular cruises through the Do It Yourself car washes to keep the dealers on their toes.

Mollie may have jogged by the car wash, not realizing who was lurking there, watching?

Good thought. Maybe she witnessed something going down that she shouldn't have and was kidnapped/killed so she wouldn't "snitch."

Hmmm - Did I miss wherein LE stated they've ascertained that MT is deceased and thus, it's now a 'recovery' situation (to use your parlance of that word?).
They did not say those particular words, but apparently reward money is now for the "recovery" as opposed to safe return ( not sure how it was worded before) but to be clear, no, they did not say those words. We don't want to start any rumours!

Was away all day and just catching up. I also can't get the two far right dots on the map to load.

Truck stops and car washes (and there are other businesses near the car wash) seem like places that might have had camera footage. Did they see the same or similar vehicle at both places acting suspiciously? From watching the show See No Evil, I know how crappy some CCTV footage can be where you can't see the driver or a license plate, etc. Just a thought I had. If it was someone from outside Brooklyn, they may have stopped at the truck stop either leaving or coming into town.

some newer ones have much better video. just don't know what is or isn't there. could be good if small town lagged in getting cameras but by now I would feel sure that some are there.

Very simple page.... I don't even do computer programing, nor build websites, yet this is so basic it's sad. If there is a tracking unit on that page, it's not included in the code.

I don't think I've seen a .gov site recreated by officials in a missing person case. Any one else??

If they are looking for a tech-savvy perp, maybe they want the website to appear basic, to make him feel comfortable visiting there.

I haven't seen a .gov site for a missing person either, but maybe someone else has?

I wonder if they know where her passport is? Not that I think she'd ever go willingly, but, Mexico?

Quote below was copied from a post above....(bolded and changed to red by me)

UPDATED 8/12/2018:

WHAT WE KNOW
  • Mollie’s jogging clothing is missing – pink sports bra, black shorts & running shoes
  • Mollie’s devices are missing – cell phone, armband, FitBit and white earbuds
  • She has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • The dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • She typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • She went for a run at 7:30
  • She usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • A digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • Video footage was collected from various businesses, including Casey’s
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • She may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license, passport and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry

Iowa DCI Agent Mitch Mortvedt said a task force has been established and a new website has been launched with details in the search for Tibbetts.

Authorities launch website dedicated to finding Mollie Tibbetts

I kind of flinched when Mortvedt used the term “abroad” in the presser as well. I took it to mean talk about away from Brooklyn. Here is a definition on all the meanings:
Definition of ABROAD

It is a weird use of the term for sure, vague.

YouTube link to press conference from today:
Agreed that the term has multiple meanings. I submit however, that its use in the context of a case involving the FBI and, presumably an abduction, is an unusual choice and adds emphasis. Deliberate choice? Could be. I don't really believe that she has left the country. I believe she is within several hours drive of where she was last seen.

After working all day, I got here as quickly as I could to hear the press conference. I know a lot of you think nothing was really said again today, and LE may really be clueless, but I get the feeling they actually have a pretty good idea what happened to Mollie, and may have an idea of what they are looking for in the way of a suspect vehicle, and just need one or two people who know SOMETHING to step up with some seemingly insignificant piece of information. I got the distinct impression, as at least one or two others here did, that the press conference was almost a one way call to the perp and someone who knows or suspects the man LE is looking for. Some have pondered that LE seems to think Mollie is still alive. I did not get that feeling, and do not believe that she is. JMO

First time posting,
this has gone from a missing person, but to try catching who is involved in her disappearance.

Yes...where are the searches? Call for farmers to search their lands? Everyone to check out buildings? Those are basics I did not hear mentioned by LE. They almost always ask the locals to check their properties, esp in rural areas.

From https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/:

"On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time.

Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM." (bbm)

Maybe I'm reading too much in to it, but the 5pm time frame seems a bit earlier than previously discussed. I'm guessing they just have some reason to be curious about the time leading up to whatever they suspect happened to her- this makes sense if they do have a perp in mind (maybe they knew the person was in town starting around 5 or something of that nature).

They aren't casting doubt that she was dropped off at 5:30 and texting with her mom though, right? If I read those two paragraphs together, it kind of sounds like they are. But, if I keep them as separate thoughts in my mind, I think it means that she hasn't been credibly seen or heard from since she was seen running, and then separately, they also want to hear from people at those spots from 5-10pm.

Just my thoughts.

One of my colleagues owns multiple self-service carwashes. He has motion-activated cameras at all of them for a host of reasons, crime certainly being one of them. The point is that this carwash likely has cameras too, so perhaps LE has something specific in mind but just needs corroboration.

JMO.

the truck in the video that was questions about in last thread, I didn't see a black truck. I seen a white truck in that video. I watched again and I still seen a white truck. I'm not trying to be hard to get along with that is just how it appears on my computer or I am missing the black truck?

From https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/:

"On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time.

Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM." (bbm)

Maybe I'm reading too much in to it, but the 5pm time frame seems a bit earlier than previously discussed. I'm guessing they just have some reason to be curious about the time leading up to whatever they suspect happened to her- this makes sense if they do have a perp in mind (maybe they knew the person was in town starting around 5 or something of that nature).

They aren't casting doubt that she was dropped off at 5:30 and texting with her mom though, right? If I read those two paragraphs together, it kind of sounds like they are. But, if I keep them as separate thoughts in my mind, I think it means that she hasn't been credibly seen or heard from since she was seen running, and then separately, they also want to hear from people at those spots from 5-10pm.

Just my thoughts.

I think they want anyone to think if they saw a strange car, i.e as early as 5pm...just so people don’t dismiss anything before 7:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justice is coming