Identified! MT - Missoula, Skeletal remains of 3 children in box, Sep'17 - Historic remains

Didnt the father of the Skelton Brothers already get convicted though? (I havent followed the case in years but i live near where the skeltons lived when they disappeared) does anyone have any info on that?

Welcome to WS! :welcome:

That’s the FIRST thing I thought as well... how did they keep the discovery of human remains quiet for so long. It sounds like the police believed them to be human from the beginning.

So can a mod clairify for us if we can post information about the person that was living in the back yard? It appears he wrote a letter in 1/2011 supporting a bill that would change child support/guardian ad litem rules. He states that he has two children and discusses his custody issues. I would be glad to reference if it’s not off limits.

Hi mtrooper, nice to 'see' you. I alerted you post to ask a mod to respond to your question.

I'm curious about any possible connection between this man and the Skelton boys father.

Hi mtrooper, nice to 'see' you. I alerted you post to ask a mod to respond to your question.

I'm curious about any possible connection between this man and the Skelton boys father.

Thank you Cubby! I have still been working on MP cases, I just don’t post very often. www.trackmissing.org

I don’t think the camper is parked in front of the house in question. The house where the remains were found appears to be across the street. It is a light beige color and sits on the corner of 12th and Schilling.

Ok, so in the mean time I guess I will start gathering and posting information on John Russell Skelton so we have something to start for comparison.

DOB- 11/22/1971
As far as I can tell the last known address was 112 Congress in Morenci MI. Also show previous address in AK.

Curiously enough a listed possible relative on Spokeo has the same last name as the person that owns the home in Missoula. Please Can I post?!?!????

This is seriously disturbing. If you killed those children, why on earth would you keep some of their bones and teeth? Some kind a macabre souvenir? People who do that, usually have a sexual component and they get off on remembering the acts with the souvenirs.

This is seriously disturbing. If you killed those children, why on earth would you keep some of their bones and teeth? Some kind a macabre souvenir? People who do that, usually have a sexual component and they get off on remembering the acts with the souvenirs.

They don't appear to be whole skeletons, which bothers me.
The new broadcast I watched stated they were clean, which leads me to believe they weren't buried, but I could be wrong.

They don't appear to be whole skeletons, which bothers me.
The new broadcast I watched stated they were clean, which leads me to believe they weren't buried, but I could be wrong.

I think that this is absolutely horrifying to everyone reading.

In one of the news broadcast it stated the bones were clean. I don't want think of what it could mean, either.

Just speculating. The bodies could have been initially buried and then exhumed some time later. If that was the case then I could see the exhuming person leaving behind some bones or perhaps he or she, when digging, was spooked by something and they hurried off with what they had.

Another possibility to explain the cleanliness of the bone is that these are medical specimens that were processed.

Just speculating. The bodies could have been initially buried and then exhumed some time later. If that was the case then I could see the exhuming person leaving behind some bones or perhaps he or she, when digging, was spooked by something and they hurried off with what they had.
s
Another possibility to explain the cleanliness of the bone is that these are medical specimens that were processed.

Why would someone dig up previously buried bodies of three small children? And why would someone have medical specimens in a cardboard box? Medical specimens are not given to people to throw in a box.

Pigging backing off this previous post of mine.

Just to expand on the "clean" bones. If these bones were clean in the sense that there was no flesh attached whatsoever (think pretty white/off white bone) then I can virtually guarantee those bones are either stores specimens that were forgotten about or they were processed by someone with specialized knowledge. It takes some know how to deflesh and clean human bones so that they were appear "clean" and without tool marks. You have to know proper dilutions of chemicals, you have to be able to maintain a proper temperature in the defleshing pot and most importantly, you have to be able to time it properly. If you overprocess the bone they will appear very brittle, possibly even sponge like if you left in the pot too long. My source on this is forensic anthropology training and processing of skeletal materials for micro and macroscopic examination.

Why would someone dig up previously buried bodies of three small children? And why would someone have medical specimens in a cardboard box? Medical specimens are not given to people to throw in a box.

To answer your first question: perhaps the bones were dug up because the killer intended to move the remains to a different location. Just for a recent example of this, Jacob Wetterling. The killer exhumed and moved his body at least once that he admitted too. The killer could have decided to move them because erosion was starting to reveal bones due to the grave being too shallow (this was the reason Jacob's killer gave for moving his body) or perhaps the land the bodies were buried on was about to be developed and the killer knew the bodies would be discovered, so he or she hastily moved them.

Regarding the second. It's not unusual for individual people to have medical specimens, they could have been acquired due to studies, theft or perhaps they were inherited. Sometimes those specimen's are stored or lost and then forgotten about. Back in college I was part of a team of forensic anthro students who received a huge donation of skeletal material from the son of a retired doctor. The doctor had boxes and boxes of human bones in his basement that no one knew about. When the guy died his son discovered them and donated them to my Anthropology dept so we could open an Osteology lab.

I feel so sorry for the children's mother! When I first heard about the Skeltons' case I felt so sick for her and her boys and started crying. I hope her sons gets the justice they deserve. What a sick man! I know he is in prison but I want him to get it for the other crimes. Whether it's them or not I feel so sick for her to go through this. If it isn't them, I pray for the unknown victims' family.

To answer your first question: perhaps the bones were dug up because the killer intended to move the remains to a different location. Just for a recent example of this, Jacob Wetterling. The killer exhumed and moved his body at least once that he admitted too. The killer could have decided to move them because erosion was starting to reveal bones due to the grave being too shallow (this was the reason Jacob's killer gave for moving his body) or perhaps the land the bodies were buried on was about to be developed and the killer knew the bodies would be discovered, so he or she hastily moved them.

Regarding the second. It's not unusual for individual people to have medical specimens, they could have been acquired due to studies, theft or perhaps they were inherited. Sometimes those specimen's are stored or lost and then forgotten about. Back in college I was part of a team of forensic anthro students who received a huge donation of skeletal material from the son of a retired doctor. The doctor had boxes and boxes of human bones in his basement that no one knew about. When the guy died his son discovered them and donated them to my Anthropology dept so we could open an Osteology lab.

I have personally found human remains that were in the woods for less than a year that were pretty “clean”. I agree that the remains were likely moved. My thought is that if John Skelton was behind bars and had knowledge that the remains were in an area that could be exposed or discovered he could reach out to a friend or family member and ask they be dug up. It explains the rocks, and the partial remains. It is really hard to collect all skeletal remains after decomposition. I would imagine they got what they could and got out. With John getting out in 2020 it’s not like he couldn’t say, hey I will pay you when I get out.

Pigging backing off this previous post of mine.

Just to expand on the "clean" bones. If these bones were clean in the sense that there was no flesh attached whatsoever (think pretty white/off white bone) then I can virtually guarantee those bones are either stores specimens that were forgotten about or they were processed by someone with specialized knowledge. It takes some know how to deflesh and clean human bones so that they were appear "clean" and without tool marks. You have to know proper dilutions of chemicals, you have to be able to maintain a proper temperature in the defleshing pot and most importantly, you have to be able to time it properly. If you overprocess the bone they will appear very brittle, possibly even sponge like if you left in the pot too long. My source on this is forensic anthropology training and processing of skeletal materials for micro and macroscopic examination.

Can you become verified in your profession?

The female tenant who formerly lived at this address has a familial connection to Michigan.

Michigan State Police: DNA comparison to missing Skelton brothers could take months
Remains found in shed in Montana

By COREY WILLIAMS, Associated Press

DETROIT - It could take months before DNA from the remains of three children found in Montana can be compared with DNA in the 2010 disappearance of three Michigan brothers due to a backlog of cases awaiting DNA testing, Michigan state police said Friday.

Once available, the results will be compared with DNA collected in the case of Andrew, Alexander and Tanner Skelton. The boys were 9, 7 and 5 when they were last seen at their father's southern Michigan home in November 2010...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...to-missing-skelton-brothers-could-take-months

Hello everyone,
I was hoping somebody was going to post about this story.
I am from Missoula, Montana and I currently live here.
In the last year we have had some interesting cases that this town has never seen.
This one in particular has piqued my interest. Specifically because I grew up in the neighbor hood where this box was found.
I know the exact house and I have been driving by it for as long as I can remember on my daily routes.

I am ready to see details about the missing boys and when the DNA tests come back. I have no idea who the previous tenants were that were evicted from the house.

I do know that the professor at the university believes that these are bones of male children. I am attempting to find the article in which it states that.

Not only has this been happening but only a few blocks away from the box of bones, there was a serious homicide only a few blocks away from there and those two people are in the Missoula jail currently awaiting sentencing. It is one crazy story.

I live here in Missoula, I believe it's because they wanted to make sure these were "modern" remains. Also, I believe they wanted secrecy to begin their investigation, and be sure it didn't get blown out of proportion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back