GUILTY SD - Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg, involved in fatal car hit and run, Sioux Falls, Sept 2020 *plea *Impeached*

Update

South Dakota AG was distracted when he struck and killed a pedestrian thinking it was a deer | Daily Mail Online

"...South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg was distracted before he drove onto a highway shoulder where he struck and killed a pedestrian in September, state Secretary of Public Safety Craig Price said Monday.

Price said 55-year-old Joseph Boever was walking on the side of the road and displaying some type of light on the night of September 12 when Ravnsborg's 2011 Ford Taurus hit him. ..."

Was this photo posted before? Ravnsborg's car:

35161500-8907973-This_Sept_15_2020_photo_provided_by_the_state_of_South_Dakota_sh-a-72_1604371166005.jpg

There will be tons of speculation regarding the nature of said distraction. Kudos to the poster who raised the question about whether there was anyone in the front passenger seat.

If he was alone, that narrows down the possible distractions. Imo

There will be tons of speculation regarding the nature of said distraction. Kudos to the poster who raised the question about whether there was anyone in the front passenger seat.

If he was alone, that narrows down the possible distractions. Imo

I think the baseline that most have is that he was alone.

A poster summarized that the bag inflated potentially when collision on that side to set off the inflation =
someone must have been in the passenger seat =
touch DNA on the bag?

Has someone verified that the airbags that appeared to be inflated on the passenger side is automatically inflated on the passenger side if not even someone is sitting in?

I don't believe that he had nothing alcoholic to drink at the political event. True, maybe there were witnesses who didn't see alcohol poured into a drink by a bartender, but only saw him with a drink in hand. They wouldn't be lying if they said that they didn't see him drinking alcohol. But, on the other hand, did they stick a litmus strip into his glass?

At a minimum, I believe that he was speeding. We can see from his record that he's not fond of doing the speed limit, or following the rules of the road. Let's face it, speeding alone could result in a dead pedestrian. He didn't need to be under the influence.

He lucked out.

South Dakota AG was ‘distracted’ before he struck, killed a pedestrian, officials say
Snipped
Nov. 3, 2020, 11:43 AM EST
By Wilson Wong

Investigators said Monday that South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg was “distracted” before he fatally struck a pedestrian in September.

Joseph Boever, 55, of Highmore, was carrying a light while walking on the side of the road when Ravnsborg fatally struck him with his Ford 2011 Taurus on Sep. 12, according to the crash report released on Monday.

The crash report said Ravnsborg was “distracted” when he drove onto a highway shoulder, and that the cause of the distraction was “still under investigation.” According to the crash report, Boever was not responsible for any “contributing circumstances” in the fatal crash.
More at link

I think the baseline that most have is that he was alone.

A poster summarized that the bag inflated potentially when collision on that side to set off the inflation =
someone must have been in the passenger seat =
touch DNA on the bag?

Has someone verified that the airbags that appeared to be inflated on the passenger side is automatically inflated on the passenger side if not even someone is sitting in?
In older Taurus models there was a problem with the passenger airbags inflating and there were recalls but Ravnsborg's car was a 2013 and it appears that the only problems were with indicator lights for the airbags. Do not know if it was a deployed airbag, but it certainly looked as if it could be a possibility.

It is interesting that the nature of the distraction was withheld. Must be some conflict between withness interviews and evidence. For example, he could say he drifted off to sleep and the evidence suggests he was on the phone or had another undisclosed person in the car. when he panicked and hit the brakes. There could be conflict between the sheriff and Ravnsborg's testimony. We know Ravnsborg lied on the 911 call now. That is not the action of an innocent man. To her credit, the governor seems pretty intent on letting the facts come out. I am not happy it has taken so long. We all knew the Taurus was off the road and had panic braked. Boever even had a flashlight. So, the deer story was BS. This is really hit and run now IMHO.

Hi all - I just watched the full press conference (Facebook link in the linked article). It’s painful due to technical difficulties. Some questions raised here were answered. Many not. My summary below.

No one asked:
- if the state was able to determine the speed the vehicle was going (it was not listed as contributing factor in report, but I think should be asked)
-if ongoing toxicology testing would be able to indicate driver blood alcohol at time of crash because the initial blood alcohol test was completed too long after the crash to tell us if Ravnsbourg was over the limit

State said:
- no passenger in vehicle
- speed limit was 65 in area
- pedestrian on shoulder with light when struck

State refuses to disclose:
- which direction pedestrian was walking
- type of light held by pedestrian (article linked below notes he did not have cell phone, so flashlight or something)
- how far the victim’s body was found from the vehicle or crash site
-nature of driver distraction
- which side of body pedestrian was hit on
- detailed timelines of investigation at scene the night of accident (how long did they look for body) and the next AM (detail the gap between ravnsbourg showing up at 8:50 am and highway patrol alerted around 10:30 am)

state waiting on:
-full autopsy
-full toxicology on driver and victim

this article has a good run down:
UPDATE: AG was 'distracted' when he crashed into and killed man walking with flashlight

Hi all - I just watched the full press conference (Facebook link in the linked article). It’s painful due to technical difficulties. Some questions raised here were answered. Many not. My summary below.

No one asked:
- if the state was able to determine the speed the vehicle was going (it was not listed as contributing factor in report, but I think should be asked)
-if ongoing toxicology testing would be able to indicate driver blood alcohol at time of crash because the initial blood alcohol test was completed too long after the crash to tell us if Ravnsbourg was over the limit

State said:
- no passenger in vehicle
- speed limit was 65 in area
- pedestrian on shoulder with light when struck

State refuses to disclose:
- which direction pedestrian was walking
- type of light held by pedestrian (article linked below notes he did not have cell phone, so flashlight or something)
- how far the victim’s body was found from the vehicle or crash site
-nature of driver distraction
- which side of body pedestrian was hit on
- detailed timelines of investigation at scene the night of accident (how long did they look for body) and the next AM (detail the gap between ravnsbourg showing up at 8:50 am and highway patrol alerted around 10:30 am)

state waiting on:
-full autopsy
-full toxicology on driver and victim

this article has a good run down:
UPDATE: AG was 'distracted' when he crashed into and killed man walking with flashlight

Drawing within the report shows the accident was off the road. The screenshot from the article was taken AFTER the vehicle was brought back for a reconstruction. Both from your link

shoulder.JPG

What is eerie in the photo below is the total breakage of the passenger side windshield. It's like an outline of... well... see for yourself.

caronroad.JPG

Drawing within the report shows the accident was off the road. The screenshot from the article was taken AFTER the vehicle was brought back for a reconstruction. Both from your link

View attachment 271201

What is eerie in the photo below is the total breakage of the passenger side windshield. It's like an outline of... well... see for yourself.

View attachment 271202
Hit and run. I would also like to know if they searched for evidence the body had been moved or tampered with. Inexcusable behavior by an AG,

Hit and run. I would also like to know if they searched for evidence the body had been moved or tampered with. Inexcusable behavior by an AG,

Slightly OT, but I recall when one of our past AG's got pulled over for speeding. She got out of the car and gave the trooper the old "do you know who I am?" routine. When she got back into her car, she backed into the patrol car, damaging it. Accident, she said. She's chief justice on the state supreme court now.

I wonder what South Dakota thinks is a speedy and fair trial? The anniversary of the hit and run? There should have been closure on this simple case weeks ago. Ravnsborg's accountability has been deferred unlike it would be for anyone else and they should be ashamed. By now.

Wow that pic of car tells a story. I thought he had just clipped something and that is why he thought it was a deer. There would be fur if it was deer. The poor fellow almost went thru the window. Do not see how there would not be noticeable evidence on car. I am not believing the driver. Moo

Decision on charges in South Dakota's Ravnsborg accident may come soon

"A team of prosecutors reviewing the evidence in the fatal car accident involving Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg hope to have the investigation completed by Christmas."
[. . .]​
"The South Dakota Highway Patrol’s accident report says Boever was walking with a light on the shoulder of Highway 14 at the time of the accident. It does not say what type of light or whether it was on. The report says that Ravnsborg drifted onto the shoulder where his vehicle struck Boever. It also says that Ravnsborg was distracted at the time of the accident, but the report does not identify the distraction, and authorities have declined to say."

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Betts79