Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing devil's advocate here. Let's say BL is either apprehended or turns himself in. A well known defense attorney replaces his current, ineffective council. They go to court and the new story is...
Brian and Gabby, as they had done so many times before, kissed and made up. He decides to go off on his own to hunt berries or camera shots and leaves Gabby near the van to update the website. Upon his return, Gabby is nowhere to be seen, so he peers through the thicket to see if she's exploring the creek bed. Suddenly, he sees two men menacing and beating her. He panics, throws on his backpack and beats it out of there. He's so terrified that he offers $200 to the first campers he meets to get him the hell out of dodge. He's conflicted, he doesn't know if she needs help, she's dead, whatever. Once he reaches Jackson, he develops a conscience, decides to hitch a ride back to the vicinity of the van, stealthily works his way back to the crime scene and finds the assailants gone and Gabby dead. He KNOWS the Moab PD has him and her together battling. He KNOWS he's the last identifiable person to be seen with her. He panics further, leaves her dead body out in the open, grabs the van and books for Florida where he withholds this info from his parents - only relating that something terrifying happened out on the road and he might have either been followed or is in mortal danger. They spot him $5K, drive him to parts unknown and tell him to lose himself.
Johnny Cochran once said, "Sometimes, the one who wins is the one with the best narrative."

Reasonable doubt? Does Brian walk?
IMO, he'd be better off pleading guilty than expecting a jury to believe such an asinine scenario.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. I do not believe for one minute that - if he did kill GP - it was premeditated in any way.

He and GP were in a pressure cooker environment being confined to that tiny van, each gradually losing tolerance with the other for whatever reasons.

If GP got upset or stressed it appeared she would cry, lash out, smack and scratch (as documented in the police stop footage, and admitted by her and confirmed by BL and a separate witness to police).

If BL got upset he would try to distance himself from her, create space between them and reason with her. I believe on the police stop footage it was described by him as him saying for her to take a "time out".

Whilst we don't know if this was the pattern each and every time they had an argument, it does make me wonder what happened when BL was in a position where he couldn't physically create that distance from her, or there wasn't space for a time out. Where was his outlet for that anger and frustration?

If he'd been bottling it all this time throughout their roadtrip then it's an absolutely tenable premise that he did snap and retaliate.

There has been criticism on here of people using the word 'snapped' - almost as if it's being used to try and defend or justify BL's actions. It's not, at all, and if that is what happened and what caused BL to attack GP, then his actions are neither justified or excusable whatsoever.

I'm just trying to think of the WHYs this may have happened, because I do not believe he set out to kill her.

What would be the motive!?

MOO

I do think it was probably more of a second degree murder scenario. He was in a rage and killed her. A domestic violence assault that ended in death.

But if she was trying to leave him, he could have decided to kill her.

Based on what we’ve seen and heard of this couple, I lean more to a less premeditated rage-type killing.

We are not sure that he did go home. I rather think that he locked her out of the van and took off and that is why she was so desperate to get back in the van after the slapping incident when he was trying to take her phone from her.
But the Moab incident was before his return to FL, correct? I’ve messed up the timeline before, but I think he is reported to have returned to FL by GP’s parents just after Moab.

I just want to know why he said he was going hiking Tuesday, but the report for the abandoned car was made at 2:42pm on Tuesday. How is a car abandoned the same day it was parked? That's all I want to know. Can anyone help?

Snipped by me.

The time is very odd and I wonder if it was correct. There is no overnight parking at the reserve; when it is open as a park, it closes at sunset and all vehicles should be gone by then. But 2:42 is long before sunset. Maybe it was illegally parked, but ticketed as "abandoned"? One would be a citation and the other would be a warning to move the vehicle, so maybe the ticketing officer was trying to be nice and write a ticket without a penalty to advise the owner to move the car. (My speculation only.)

I don't think the Feds ever expect to get a conviction they're just using this as an excuse to arrest him.

What are they trying to do? I haven’t had time to read.

Also, can anyone update me as to the police presence yesterday at his home and whether LE seems to be still looking for a dead or alive BL?

5TB is plenty of space for a road trip. I don’t see why Gabby would need more than one external hard drive for a trip like that, even with video and photos she took. We don’t even know if she shot in raw or not and that affects file size.

I don’t know… I’m trying not to get offended by what people say online, but there’s a tone I’m sensing with “serious photographers do this and that” that I don’t like. I don’t think it’s fair to Gabby, who IMO took her newfound career path seriously, to compare her to people who have been doing this for years.

Professional photographers drag whole suitcases of gear on shoots… and they can also only carry a camera or two. Depending on the project.

As a photographer I have several external drives, but I only ever use one at a time. IMO Gabby’s 5TB of space was more than enough for her needs on the road and maybe in general, since she was a beginner (no one buys a truckload of equipment when starting out).

MOO

edit: typo
Can't disagree with any of that. No insult intended. As someone who has mentored "aspiring" photographers/videographers/YouTubers/etc for years... some are serious, some are wannabes' some are dreamers, some want to get a better grade in school, some just don't have it. After a while some trends emerge. How do I know if Petito was serious or not? I don't. All I can say is what (very little) has been shared leads me to believe that preparation for what is said to be her dream probably could have been better. Why is that important? Because, in my mind potential unpreparedness is very likely to lead to frustration and high emotion. And its not too far a leap to think that the fateful trip was probably ripe with both of those things. These are my opinions. Can I prove that my opinion is accurate, nope. PS - fairly certain she wasn't shooting RAW.

Last edited:
Can you post the source for this? Assuming you mean 9/14?
Police discovered and ticketed the abandoned car of Gabby Petito’s missing fiancé in a local nature reserve about a week ago, his lawyer said Monday.

The latest twist came after the FBI said it has 'exhausted all avenues,' but fell short of saying whether it believes Brian Laundrie is still alive.

The ticket was dated September 14, and is the latest clue in a puzzling mystery into the disappearance and presumed death of Petito, who was reported missing September 11 after embarking on a Western U.S. road trip with Laundrie.
Police recover the Ford Mustang of Gabby Petito's fiance abandoned in parking lot of Florida reserve | Daily Mail Online
*article dated 9/20/21

MOO
This will all boil down to money, or lack there of. She planned, saved, and was trying to create a source of income (on her own). I feel she expected him to do the same, and he most likely fell short. Arguments, between them and at restaurants, no money for hotel stated on body cam, the storage he had to empty, the $1000. I've been directly involved, as a witness, in a man killing his spouse over money issues (he gambled it all away and she caught him). How many here know a woman who has done everything in her power to make something happen financially only to find out their partner, who said they were doing the same, failed. She got fed up, he panicked.

If that is the case, that he is innocent because no one witnessed him killing her, very few murders would be solved.
True. Yet, a mountain of evidence (according to the LA DA) couldn't convict their notorious defendant. Its all in the evidence. Anything can happen. It only takes one juror to trash a slam dunk.

What are they trying to do? I haven’t had time to read.

Also, can anyone update me as to the police presence yesterday at his home and whether LE seems to be still looking for a dead or alive BL?
He used her card to over $1000 on the van trip home. He has been charged with bank fraud.
The police at the home was a false alarm or hoax call that he was in the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda