Dr. Phil Interviews Burke Ramsey (9/12 & 9/13 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burke is not coming across very well in the interview. He's smirking a lot and pretty much only saying "I don't know. I can't remember.". Whenever he's asked about his mother, he paints her in the best light possible. No one is perfect, yet he has not a single negative thing to say about her at all. Very fishy.

Hypothetical theory:

BDI - B wakes up JB and goes downstairs after everyone has gone to sleep to play with some toys (maybe train set). He hits her with it, leaving the marks. She threatens to tell on him. He hits her, HARD, with flashlight/bat. He thinks she's dead. Tells parents. They think she's dead. Stage cover up to protect Burke.

I think a JDI theory would also fit, but mostly likely he blames it on B in order to get P to go along with the staging.

Also, just FYI everyone seems to disregard the amount of time this crime needed to occur. From the blow from the head to the strangulation is anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours. It takes someone 15-20 minutes to just write the ransom note, and that doesn't include the time it would take to think about what they wanted to say. The note wasn't written beforehand, it was written, along with a draft, in the Ramsey home. If this was an intruder, they spent A LOT of time in the house that night, or, it was committed by someone(s) who didn't have to fear time considerations.

Jmo, having experienced trauma as a child and an adult, but imo it's not so much that you don't develop mentally after, but that it actually changes your brain and, emotionally, your view of the world is forever changed. It's like breaking your leg. It heals, but the bone will forever show the damage. I dunno... its so difficult to put into words, so hard to explain.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes, this.

Trauma is to the brain and lens with which you view the world what an earthquake is to terrain and its physical structures. You might till the soil again and get something growing on it, and build another house, but you're never going to bring back any part of what previously existed. The person you were prior to the trauma is not who you are anymore.

Watching the last half...his answers are so vague..."I wanted to play with this toy"...what toy? If it was something he was sneaking out of bed to play with, he was clearly excited about it, why not say "oh I had gotten this Lego set that I just had to put together" or something like that? (Note I'm currently watching it so perhaps he will expand on that).

Also what are yalls take on the fingerprints on the bowl? But his on the glass? IMO, my fingerprints would be on every dish in the house as I'm the only one who puts them away. Why weren't JBR's fingerprints on the bowl? I would imagine at 6 she would feed herself. Also, fruit is a strange night time snack, especially pineapple as it has a natural digestive aid.

I watched both interviews. The lack of eye contact (at times) social awkwardness,frozen smile and fidgeting was disturbing. I wonder if he's been identified as being on the Autism Spectrum. I must admit, my daughter and I fidget both when we're stressed or concentrating.
http://www.insideedition.com/headli...ocial-media-uproar-can-he-please-stop-smiling

JonBenet Ramsey's Smirking Brother Draws Social Media Uproar: 'Can He Please Stop Smiling?'
September 13, 2016
Behavior expert Dr. Lillian Glass gave her analysis to Inside Edition.
"I look at this as one of the most disturbing interviews I have ever seen," she declared.
When Dr. Phil asked Burke about what his mother’s reaction on the night of the murder, he described it while smirking.
“You see he has a genuine smile. For any other kid, they would have been terrified," Dr. Glass said. "He is elated about it. Maybe he had a bad relationship with the mother? Maybe he didn’t like the mother?"
People are also pointing out that Burke bizarrely moves his fingers.
"When Burke is fidgeting with his hands it shows that he is nervous. The body doesn’t lie. It shows that he is leaking out some nervous energy, which is coming out through his hands," Dr. Glass said.
Dr. Phil describes Burke as “socially awkward” and revealed that he works from home as a software engineer.
Read: JonBenet's Father Speaks Out in New Documentary: 'We Were the Victims of a Lynch Mob'
“He didn’t grow up like a normal kid. He couldn’t go to school. He has a siege mentality,” Dr. Phil said.
Dr. Glass said: "It is though he is not socialized, he doesn’t know how to react. There is something off about Burke."

I can't believe BR agreed to do this interview. With all the money and education he possesses, it is hard for me to even think of a good reason for him to do so. IMO, he came across badly. We are around the same age and to be perfectly honest, I felt his responses and gestures were more on par with someone my son's age. If this were my son, I would do everything in my power to stop him. My son is three and a tyrant at the moment. But a very strong willed tyrant. His grandfather recently passed away, which has been very difficult for him. I think about this case and how to help my son process these emotions and thoughts sensitively. I think PR and JR have successfully scared me into making sure I do everything emotionally for my child during this time.

That is not to say I believe all people should grieve or with through their emotions the same. One of my best friends is a nervous smiler, and I have learned to discern some of those triggers. I am also socially akward and so is my husband. We are quite the pair! I also come from a family background that is heavily involved in psychiatry. These are not examples for me to pass judgment, but to explain that I have to be open minded about other's reactions and behaviors.

I have never been a diehard BDI, although I appreciate this forum and it's amazing contiributers that constantly make me question my opinions on the case with regards to the evidence. I agree very much that BR did not have a normal childhood, nor a normal teenage life. but most people learn and grow throughout these years, even when they deal with horrific situations as BR did. But I'm honestly just so puzzled by this interview. I genuinely look forward to reading responses on this thread, as I know there are so many posters that might have a better explanation or view on this.

Let me repeat a point I made in another thread ..... In the DP interview, Burke states he woke up when his mother charged into his room looking frantically for JonBenet. Watching the Investigation Discovery special, it shows Patsy telling the police that she told John Ramsay to go check on the children. How do we account for this seeming discrepancy?

Wow. I just watched the 2nd part, and Burke comes across as weird, nervous, and shifty.

The biggest takeaways:

1) He coyly admits going back downstairs after everyone went to bed to play with "a toy". With the flashlight. The quiet, almost off-hand way in which he said it gives me the impression that this was never part of the "official script" and maybe reveled something he shouldn't have. My opinion: that toy was the train set. The same train set where the tracks match the bruises on JonBenet's body.

2) Cringeworthy moments of obvious discomfort when asked if he knew of any past sexual abuse or if he ever hit JonBenet on purpose with a golf club. Smile disappeared from his face and could only mutter "no", "absolutely not" and you can sense his discomfort.

3) Dad "tucked him into bed" at night with a flashlight????

Is it possible that a traumatic experience leaves a child emotionally the age as the traumatic event? I'm not defending his demeanor just remembering a book written by a psychiatrist that I once read.

Today's interview left me quite uneasy. I, as a retired principal who had many special education units on campus, had many, many dealings with students who demonstrated symptoms of and were diagnosed with various degrees of Asperger's. I see many attributes of Asperger's in BR but I also pick up on nervousness and stress in his body language and many of his responses. His responses were very vague, and those that were answered seemed autonomous, as if coached or told the answers so many times that they became a part of his own memories. The only time I saw some type of animation from him was when DP introduced the tapes that had not yet been released. He rapidly changed positions in his seat and seemed to be caught unaware.

I agree that childhood trauma changes a child forever, mentally, chemically and emotionally. I have seen that throughout my career. I also agree that many children's reality of an event will become distorted as a coping mechanism.

However, I was left feeling as if this young man has other emotional problems. The hand/eye movements upon asking DIFFERENT questions were interesting to watch. Those that were more troubling to him elicited movements that were slightly more agitated. The biting of the lip was troubling. It does show a memory there that is not one he will or wants to face. That was a stress reaction there.

I am looking forward to watching part 3. Hopefully, there will be more of BR answering questions and DP pressing him a bit.

Very insightful, Bitz. I want to hear more from posters who have professional experience working with children.

I have to add one other thing that concerns me.

Children with Asperger's will, many times although not ALL the time, fixate on a traumatic event. The fixation may come in many forms.. Many will be curious about what happens to the body after death, the various way a person dies, etc. Many of the children will react by having total meltdowns. Some will be angry and agressive. This can be said of any child but more frequently for a child with Asperger's. However, for the Asperger's child,the emotion does come out, although it may not be in the typical fashion one may expect.

Burke, throughout the police interview, seemed uninterested but did answer questions although with an unusual affect - common for Asperger's. However, I do see other behaviors in the interviews both as a child and a man, that disturb me. That is as far as I will go.

These are my opinions. Not an expert. JMOO

Sure wish Dr. Phil had just taken the 5 seconds to ask what the special toy was that Burke HAD to sneak downstairs to play with.

I think that's such an odd thing for a brother to notice- even under normal circumstances but here it is absolutely detached and bizarre when speaking about the last photo of your sister alive.
Although I think it's ludicrous to think 9 year Burke had anything to do with his sister's murder, I do believe he was damaged in many ways as a result. He absolutely seems detached, awkward, odd and probably has some sort of arrested development, but that does not make me suspicious of him It is a shame Dr phil convinced him to do the interview. He will be judged and vilified all over again. Not knowing what his life has been like, how he was sheltered etc. It is hard to know what makes him tick. One thing though, I would like to observe Burke's demeanor, facial expressions, etc in a different setting to see what his normal or "off stage" affect is. I have a feeling he naturally looks like he is smirking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

JMOO BR has never matured............he seems much younger in his remarks than a 30 year old.
Almost the same as his 9 year old interviews. JMOO was he always in the back ground?
difficult birth? learning problems? while reading the 'death of innocence' I do remember he had to 'change schools'
very early like 1st or 2nd grade........why? it said he couldn't write or type well? really?
Now jealousy.........I think so. He was the only child for 3 years, then came sister that family saw as a Miss America.
All the gifts, trophies, attention etc............dad worked allot and then there was BR...........anyone really do anything with him?
Sorry but I can see poking, hitting etc between BR and JBR........sibling rivalry.......big time.
Definitely arrested development. But not a murderer. Just weird.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

In a family as affluent as they were, he received more than just a bike!

In a family as affluent as they were, he received more than just a bike!

He received many toys, and his big present was the Nintendo. His father in an interview said he gave Patsy and JB bikes, but BR already had one. Many inconsistencies with both his parents and his own previous statements. Whether he has Asperger's, I'm not qualified to judge. But, like you, I see something else, and that's as far as I go.

I can see BR not remembering his gifts correctly.
Nothing good has came out of this interview for him. Only makes him look worse.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what to make of Dr. Phil interview just yet.

I will say I'm surprised that the interview is presented in a way that makes Burke seem suspicious. I think most of us (myself included) assumed beforehand that it would be presented in a way to make audiences sympathetic with him and make him less suspicious.

I just saw 2 of the 3 part show about the case, even though Smit wanted to blame some guy in a trailer that died by gun shot I keep comming back to the note. The 118K who would know that ? How many possibilities had any clue a bonus was in that amount ? Seems like I recall portions of that note were similar to a book Patsy was reading. Sorry folks that note removes any random freak the investigators come up with, im afraid im with the Boulder cops on this one, inside job it appears to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark