Found Deceased AL - Amberly Barnett, 11, Mt. Vernon, DeKalb County, 1 Mar 2019 #2 *ARREST*

I'm not blaming anyone but the murderer. I've said that clearly and am not sure how I can make that any clearer.

Those of us who have the sense that this was a vulnerable child who may not have been protected as she should've been aren't blaming anyone else. Not victim blaming. Not blaming her family. It's simply a fact and noteworthy that vulnerable children are more at risk of this kind of thing.

The only reason I brought that up was due to the discussion about make up and social media access and whether those are or can be relevant to what happened to her.

My opinion is that they may be relevant to whether she was vulnerable child or even neglected.

Of course I don't know if she was neglected. I can't say that definitively. But:

1. She wasn't living with her parents. So something went wrong.
2. She was living in close proximity to a violent criminal. Something her caregivers had to have known, IMO.
3. Despite that, she was left unattended.
4. She had multiple social media accounts. At age 11. Which included photos of her in very heavy, adult-style make-up. Pouting and posing.
5. This child is featured in various social media photos heavily made up and not just for dance class, from what I can tell. Her make up is very adult.

All of that combined signals something to me. That this was a vulnerable child who may not have been protected by those responsible for her.

But more importantly, all of that signals that she was a vulnerable child to predators who would then see her as easy prey.

That's the issue.

I can't blame anyone else because there are various reasons why a child can become vulnerable and at risk which aren't anyone's fault, such as mental illness, physical illness or financial issues of the parents, among other things.

My only point is for those demanding we not mention her appearance or social media access, as s if those of us discussing that issue are victim blaming, they're not understanding the issue.

I see a lot of things that make it appear that this child had major difficulties in her life and was easy prey for the monster who came across her path.

I don't even think much can reasonably be done to make all our children less vulnerable or even most of them. It's all so complex. But whoever mentioned getting involved, like becoming a CASA. That's a great idea. There are small things we can do to make a child's life better.

Every word of this ^

I agree there is no way to save them all. We live in a broken world and evil lurks, but honestly, doing something is always better than nothing.

Become a mentor or a tutor to at risk youth to expand their circle of adults who care and are tuned into their lives.
Befriend a single parent who needs a listening ear, a cheerleader, a life skills coach, or child care.
Send someone a note of encouragement.

The more support we build up in our existing communities the less need for sweeping bureaucratic (expensive) programs.
Help a teen Mom parent differently than they were parented.
Take a chance on employing someone who could use the break.

If it sounds like I'm crazy, know that I am just a housewife and volunteer/advocate that has seen all this stuff work. Small scale, life on life effects real and meaningful change. Sure, it is sometimes messy because life is messy...but the kids in our community are not just our concern when they become victims, they should be on our minds before.

(dismounting soapbox)

You're not "just a housewife and volunteer/advocate". You've made a difference. That counts for a heckuva lot!

Why am I on Websleuths? Mrs. Night Watchman has asked me that. I haven’t had a good answer for her underappreciated sarcasm.

For entertainment? That would be pathetic.

So I can bash the criminals that commit these the horrible crimes? No, I don’t waste my energy on that.

Because I can solve a crime? I probably actually think that deep down inside, and at the same time I realize that will never be the case.

To provide a potentially useful tip to LE? OK, maybe. Only happened once, in the LISK case- and the guy hasn’t been arrested yet...

To help find a missing person? I guess that I hope so at some point. I have learned a lot about finding missing people here. I'm looking into getting a drone with infrared imaging.

So I can be prepared if something happens in my local community? Probably.

Comraderie with WebSleuthers? Yes.

What is the impact of my time and effort? A bag of hammers and not much more.

Your post is eye opening to me. Thank you. We can’t save the world, but maybe we can help a child's world.

I will try.
With the exception of a drone purchase and tips on LISK, I very much feel/Identify with all the things in this post.

I agree there is no way to save them all. We live in a broken world and evil lurks, but honestly, doing something is always better than nothing.

Become a mentor or a tutor to at risk youth to expand their circle of adults who care and are tuned into their lives.
Befriend a single parent who needs a listening ear, a cheerleader, a life skills coach, or child care.
Send someone a note of encouragement.

The more support we build up in our existing communities the less need for sweeping bureaucratic (expensive) programs.
Help a teen Mom parent differently than they were parented.
Take a chance on employing someone who could use the break.

If it sounds like I'm crazy, know that I am just a housewife and volunteer/advocate that has seen all this stuff work. Small scale, life on life effects real and meaningful change. Sure, it is sometimes messy because life is messy...but the kids in our community are not just our concern when they become victims, they should be on our minds before.

(dismounting soapbox)
Beautiful post

I'm referring to the charges that he beat and tried to kill his girlfriend.

That is public record and I'm pretty sure her physical wounds were pretty evident.

Regardless of how he might try and spin it I don't think I'd want my child around someone like that.
I finally realized not everyone is like the people on this board. People seem to actually trust people and never think to check them out. I always thought everyone was like me.

I just want to say that my heart breaks for this little girl, and her family. Im sure everyone here feels the same.
In no way can any of the family be blamed. Yes, there seems to have been various challenges they were dealing with- but there was only one person to blame- and that’s the evil human who did this.
That said, I appreciate the posts about AB being vulnerable, and I agree with many who suggested that as adults/parents, we need to do our best not to leave our kids alone, not to assume neighbors and relatives are all safe, and we especially need to be super vigilant about our kids posts on social media. (I have several kids teens through early 20’s, and none of them have smartphones or any social media at all. They have very little access to Internet, and our home Internet is heavily filtered).
These crimes are entirely the fault of the perps, no question, but if we can go the extra mile to walk our kids to bus stops and meet them as they get off the bus, keep a close eye on who they chat with and what they post, they’d be safer and better off.

That all said- where’s the line between over protecting and giving kids some independence?

How could it be wrong to let a 13 year old walk home from a bus, or let an 11 year old stay home for 45 minutes alone and enjoy her Chinese food??
I’m so heart-wrenched from this.
I’m dreading reading any additional charges. IMO, I do anticipate that we’ll hear it was a SA, but I can’t bare to think of this gorgeous little girl suffering any of that :(

Sorry for the outpour.

This article did clarify one thing I was not sure about.

Amberly's Aunt's significant other and the killers significant other are siblings. I hadn't seen that clarified and was concerned that it was a family member.

Family members speak out about 11-year-old murdered in DeKalb County

She stayed with Barnett and Jesse Crane.

Crane’s sister lived next door with Madison.

Much has been written here about this little girls circumstances, how things in her life contributed to her vulnerability etc. People trying to explain and come to terms with the horrific facts about this crime without victim blaming or family blaming. And, there has been excellent information passed on to us.
But, as the mother of three adult sons with their own families now, I worked so hard from the day of their births, that they should understand in their core that women/girls were equal in worth, consideration, and relationships. They left home knowing how to iron, (not that they ever did it, LOL) they could cook and feed themselves, they could clean bathrooms and make beds. Not just know how to do it, but understood that no one else was obligated in any way to do it for them.
They know how to be equal partners. They understand their own shortcomings and are able to deal with them without violence or humiliation.
Take this information times a million and think how different our world would be and how different this little girl's life would have been.

Meth, like alcohol and other drugs is an EXCUSE to do what was already in their mind ... it gives them the excuse/reason to ignore that still small voice that tells them “NO.” Meth - just like guns - can’t kill unless a person uses it to commit the crime. MOO.

Indeed meth is no excuse. And not all predators use meth. Could he have done this without being on meth? Most certainly.

It is however known that meth increases hypersexual and violent urges and behavior, so imo meth could and would exacerbate one’s own inherent propensity to violently offend, if there is this “predisposition”, so to speak.

I have linked several articles on this in other cases.

He was arrested for meth possession though, right? Couldn't use of that drug alone explain a violent attack?

I mean, we're all talking about child rapists and various terrible things he may well be, but couldn't be also have just been strung out of his mind? I'm thinking of other violent crimes committed by people on various substances. I'm not an expert on meth by any means, so just asking if this is possible?

See above. Unfortunately we see too many cases here with some sort of meth factor. Would someone who doesn’t have a natural predisposition to sexually and violently offend commit such an act while on meth? I’m not so sure; however meth is basically bath tub chemicals to the brain, so who knows.

Additionally for note, if there is meth usage, there are unsavory sorts around the children coming and going from the house, less responsible supervision, etc.

Last edited:
“Madison was arrested on March 2, 2019, on possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia charges, shortly after Amberly’s body was found. Court records show that Madison was accused of meth possession in the case that led to his arrest. Authorities also said he had a syringe used for methamphetamine.”

—Another case where the perp had ties to meth.

This was the Bella Cannella vibe I got earlier that I mentioned in thread 1. These cases have turned out to be quite similar.

Source link for reference re: Bella:
Police: Man who killed Bullhead City girl had been high on meth
I'm not placing blame on any family member! Or parents of family members, but if you look around, sleuth on your own, names appear in atricles about organized drug busts, (meth) as well as possession and some as many as 5 or 6 times!
Do not post any names here!
Not her mother mind you, she was doing her best!
This child was surrounded by unsavory addicted/ex addicts even if only indirectly. Also, full names help to have handy as well and making sure age and addresses or homes nearby match up, but wow.
Not the best environment for a child.
Its also very possible they cleaned their act up!
I believe Alabama and Georgia know some of them very well.
Moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back