DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is not a DNA Doe Project case or a prospective DNA Doe Project case PLEASE do not post it here. The topic of the thread is the volunteer organization called DNA Doe Project: DNA Doe Project
and the discussion is about the cases DDP are working to solve or cases DDP are considering working on in the future (or even cases we hope DDP will work on in the future). We are also using this thread to keep a list of DDP cases and their WS thread links organized in one place. When random links on Non-DNA Doe Project cases gets posted here it makes it confusing on whether the DDP is taking the case or not. There are several other threads on general Doe cases, general cold cases or general DNA-solved cases not involving DNA Doe Project. Please keep this thread on topic. :)

Last edited:
We also have an extensive list of cases and thread links in this thread that @Mrs. Badcrumble has worked hard to update for us every few months to help keep track: DNA Doe Project - General Discussion
Credit where credit’s due: It was @Gardener1850 who compiled the first list, and I simply just updated it from there on :)

Speaking of which; I've been thinking about updating it again, but from what I understand from the more recent posts, there are a few about to be identified very soon, like Pulaski Jane Doe and Harper Doe? If so, I might just wait a bit, so the list isn't obsolete like five minutes after I've posted it! :D

DDP made a new case announcement post yesterday: DNA Doe Project

DNA Doe Project Case Announcement: Peoria County John Doe – Illinois (2016-17)

Who was Peoria County John Doe?
On June 12, 2017 a human head washed ashore on the banks of the Illinois River in Kingston Mines, Illinois. The property owner at the River’s Edge Campground, who picked up the skull thinking it was a Halloween decoration took it into his house until it started to smell. The skull was later linked via DNA to a torso previously recovered on November 13, 2016 in Schuyler County downriver. There was a hole in the skull, which investigators thought at first was a bullet hole, but on closer inspection, actually was blunt force trauma with the skull pushed in. Forensic investigators determined the deceased to be a white male between 30-55 years old.

NamUs: UP17560
Date found: 12 Jun 2017
Race: Uncertain
Sex: Male
PMI: 2-4 months

Anyone who believes they have relevant information on this case should contact authorities directly:
Peoria County Sheriff's Office
Lt. Dan Corpus
309-258-7160
dcorpus@peoriacounty.org

Links to More Information:
https://dnadoeproject.org/case/peoria-co-john-doe-2016-17/
https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/17560 Skull Found in Peoria County Matches Torso Found Downstream
https://www.pjstar.com/news/20170613/mans-skull-found-in-kingston-mines

Image Credit: Artist rendering of how the individual may have looked. Image released by the Peoria County Sheriff’s Office.

Many thanks to our thoughtful supporters for their continued support and interest in the DNA Doe Project. As always, we ask that commenters remain respectful to our Does and their families.

Please continue to advocate for transfers to FTDNA and gedmatch.com opt-IN.

For more information on the DNA Doe Project and our other cases, visit our website: http://dnadoeproject.org/

#DNADoeProject #JohnDoe2016
#PeoriaCountyJohnDoe
#PeoriaCountyIllinois
#SchuylerCountyIllinois
#GEDmatchOptIn #OptIn

DNA Doe Project

WS Thread: IL - IL - Schuyler Co., WhtMale torso found in Illinois River, Nov'16

This is interesting. I thought DDP was not accepting this type of cases, but I'm really happy they are taking this one.

Meriden PD to provide update on 32-year-old cold case involving death of a newborn

On a very cold day back in January of 1988, a newborn infant was found frozen to death in a parking lot. Officers adopted him and gave him the name David Paul. David was left to freeze to death in the AGC parking lot on Evansville Avenue.
[...]
According to Hartford Courant, the police department teamed up with DNA Doe Project, a national organization that specializes in genetic DNA testing. They are trying to identify the baby’s mother in hopes of solving this crime.

This is interesting. I thought DDP was not accepting these type of cases, but I'm really happy they are taking this one.

Meriden PD to provide update on 32-year-old cold case involving death of a newborn

On a very cold day back in January of 1988, a newborn infant was found frozen to death in a parking lot. Officers adopted him and gave him the name David Paul. David was left to freeze to death in the AGC parking lot on Evansville Avenue.
[...]
According to Hartford Courant, the police department teamed up with DNA Doe Project, a national organization that specializes in genetic DNA testing. They are trying to identify the baby’s mother in hopes of solving this crime.
I think Colleen is working on this case independently. Check these sources:
An Abandoned Baby’s DNA Condemns His Mother
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jtes/dna-cold-case-crime-doe-project-genealogy

Oh, that makes sense, thank you for the links. I was very surprised to see them accept a baby doe case, but I think the author of the article got it wrong. There will be a police briefing at 11:00 am and I think they will explain better who will work on this case.

Last edited:
Mother confirms identity of 30-year WilCo cold case 'Corona Girl'

"Family members say Williamson County investigators have identified 'Corona Girl' -- the victim in a 30-year cold case.

Her family told us her name is Sue Ann Huskey.

Sue Bryant told CBS Austin she's been waiting over 30 years to learn what happened to her daughter.

Husky was living in Sulphur Springs, east of Dallas, in 1989. That's where she was last seen.

Bryant filed a missing person's report on her daughter -- but never learned what happened.

Three weeks ago, she says a Williamson County detective took DNA swabs from the family to help confirm Huskey's identity.

On Wednesday, the Williamson County Sheriff's Office will hold a press conference with information on how their investigation led to Sue Ann Huskey's identity."

Amazing news that Corona Girl has been solved, after what seems to have been an extremely difficult extraction (she had been on their pending list since late 2018 I think).

Hopefully this may prompt the Walker County Sheriff's Office to pass WCJD to DDP to try to get some usable data. If I recall correctly (according to @CarlK90245's Facebook page) they've been trying for an extraction but haven't yet been able to get any usable data for GEDmatch.

So, some gal from Alaska asked on Facebook if there's anything pending for Eklutna Annie.
Margaret gave an interesting answer: ''We have not been contacted by the agency. Feel free to suggest us to them. We do occasionally get cases where the agency tells us a citizen called in about it.'' I underlined the main takeaway.

So, some gal from Alaska asked on Facebook if there's anything pending for Eklutna Annie.
Margaret gave an interesting answer: ''We have not been contacted by the agency. Feel free to suggest us to them. We do occasionally get cases where the agency tells us a citizen called in about it.'' I underlined the main takeaway.
Elutka Annie is a Robert Hansen victim, btw. They haven't done an Alaskan case yet so that would be fairly interesting. Maybe someone could shoot an email over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member