Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

POLLS:

POLL: Confident that US agencies are doing everything to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
POLL: What concerns you most about COVID-19?
POLL: Confident in US medical facilities and personnel to adequately manage COVID-19?
POLL: What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

______

COVID-19 Coronavirus Memorial Thread
______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN WARNING:

This thread is fast moving and labour intensive and we have other active threads that need attention.

Politicizing is NOT allowed. If your post is found to contain political statements or politics in general, it will be removed and a thread ban will be issued which means you will not be able to post in this thread, only read.

Critique your own post before submitting it to the thread to make sure it does not have a political bent; otherwise you may find you lose posting privileges.

Post accordingly.

Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOUR FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

OK, I AM YELLING AGAIN AND I AM GETTING ANGRY.

IF YOU FEEL THIS IS A HOAX - IF YOU FEEL THIS IS ALL "FAKE NEWS" THEN DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD. STAY OFF THIS THREAD. THIS THREAD IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TAKING THE VIRUS SERIOUSLY AND WANT TO POST ABOUT FACTS AND ABOUT SOLUTIONS. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO YOUR OPINION BUT YOUR OPINION WILL CAUSE THIS THREAD DO GO UP IN FLAMES AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE CAN COME HERE AND GET FACTS. WE NEED TO TAKE THIS VIRUS SERIOUSLY AND THAT IS WHY THIS THREAD IS ON WEBSLEUTHS. PLEASE GO TO ANOTHER DISCUSSION IN THE MISSING OR IN COLD CASES AND DO SOME GOOD.

Not yelling now. We should not get hysterical about the virus but we need to discuss this virus seriously. A big difference between the two. In the same vein, we should not shrug our shoulders and say it's no big deal and it is a media hysteria.

While I respect you have the right to your opinion I have the right to ask you to leave this thread so we can discuss the virus without disruption.

Rarely do I pull this statement out but here it comes; I am the owner and the final decisions on what can be discussed and rules are all on me. I want to be as inclusive as possible but in a real National Emergency declared by the president, I have a responsibility to make sure we discuss the facts and we discuss virus in a logical and factual way.

Thank you.
Tricia.
PS. I am not getting hysterical about the virus I am getting angry at the thought of how fast this thread could literally shut the whole forum down, Our wonderful mods do not need the stress.

Hey Everyone,

We are putting together a forum for the virus. If you have any ideas for the categories to be included in the forum please send me a private message. Here is what I am thinking so far:
Each state will have its own thread. We will ask everyone to put in information about their state.
A general discussion where this thread and the past threads will be located.
A media thread of course.
Debunking all the kooky crap out there discussion.
Daily count of how many cases are being reported and how many deaths. We would have other countries included. This would be a no discussion thread too.
I have a few more ideas but I am open to anything.
Thanks.
Tricia

Let me clear something up. We will all be together on this thread discussing just like we are now. The other categories will be added so you all can access certain pieces of info more quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone may want to talk to West Virginia on how they have not had a single COVID-19 case yet. Their doing something right.

"West Virginny" has the COVID-19 now, too, as do all 50 states in the United States of America, as do all nations and continents on planet earth except for Antarctica.

I really recommend all who may do so to remain inside their homes, leaving such only to obtain sustenance supplies of food, medicine, and other necessary staples.

I was sent the following (a filing from Rome, Italy, which appeared in Newsweek and may be accessed from the link below) by a friend a few days ago, a perspective about the coronavirus situation by the former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, whose wife is now ambassador to the Holy See (Vatican, in Rome), someone who is close to the front lines in Italy, a nation with the second highest numbers of fatalities from the COVID-19 virus. After my friend and I read the report we became convinced our nation had not been overreacting to the COVID-19 situation, if anything had been underreacting.

Also, please check on family, friends and neighbors who live entirely alone. An email and/or telephone call puts no one in a position of physical risk to contract disease and may even save a life, either from discovery of illness or serious medical situation obtained by communication with lone party, or by lifting spirits of same, who may be depressed and very lonely. Home quarantine needn't be emotional solitary confinement.

And, as always, "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

I don't know what to think, but if COVID19 follows other pandemics, this is only the first wave. I expect another, more severe wave next fall, winter.

It seems like there are people who are taking this seriously, and others who are not. The ones who don't, endanger the rest of us.

I heard and saw a report on PBS' NewsHour a few day ago that, of those surveyed, 68% of Democrats are "more worried" about someone in their family contracting the COVID-19 virus, compared with only 40% of Republicans who are "more worried," with Independents or "unenrolled" persons "more worried" at a rate of 45%.

So, it would seem, even though I am mostly conservative in my political ideology, I worry more about the coronavirus like the majority of liberals in that survey. But also admittedly, ever since I became a cognizant, thinking adult (circa 1972, when I was 14 years old) I have been of the inclination about most situations one should "expect the worst," and that if one does so one may only ever be pleasantly surprised if and when outcomes are more positive than expected. Or, another way of putting this is "If one always expects the absolute worst, one will never be disappointed."

Definitely I am a "glass is half empty" person, and often a "gloomy Gus" to boot. But that said, I really would still like to think that things will get better, that brighter days are ahead. It is just that the experience of reality has taught me not only is that proverbial glass "half empty," it is also, frequently, "cracked and leaking fast."

Last edited:
UK

One of the government’s top coronavirus experts has had to self-isolate after developing coronavirus symptoms and revealed he was probably infectious when he attended a Downing Street press conference on Tuesday.

Prof Neil Ferguson, from Imperial College London, tweeted that he has a persistent cough and high fever, and had been forced to self-isolate in his central London flat for seven days.

Ferguson, head of the modelling programme at Imperial’s MRC centre for global infectious disease analysis, who has been working round the clock with a team of experts advising the government, tweeted: “Sigh. Developed a slight dry but persistent cough yesterday and self-isolated even though I felt fine. Then developed high fever at 4am today. There is a lot of Covid-19 in Westminster.”

Top UK Covid-19 expert self-isolates after developing symptoms

Coronavirus in Scotland - latest news - BBC News

1. Coronavirus: MSPs take evidence on the resilience of transport services in Scotland during the Covid-19 outbreak
  2. Nicola Sturgeon says Scotland could see nationwide school closures
  3. There will be a coronavirus update from the economy secretary at 2.30pm
  4. The NHS in Scotland has been put on an "emergency footing" for at least the next three months
  5. The Covid-19 pandemic has so far resulted in two deaths and 195 positive cases north of the border

Taoiseach says crisis may last months and EU bans foreign travellers: Today's Covid-19 main points

(Ireland)

THE TAOISEACH HAS warned that issues related to the outbreak of Covid-19 in Ireland could go on for a number of months.

In a televised address to the nation last night, Leo Varadkar accepted that the government did not know when the situation would be over, but warned that it was likely to last well beyond 29 March.

Last night saw a further 69 cases of the novel coronavirus confirmed in the Republic of Ireland, bringing to 292 the total number of cases here.

Ten new cases were also announced in the North, bringing the total number there to 62.

Meanwhile, the European Union has agreed to impose travel restrictions on most foreigners entering Europe for at least 30 days to limit the spread of the virus.

Here are today’s main Covid-19 points:

• Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said that the elderly and people who have a long-term illness will soon be asked to stay at home for several weeks.
  • GPs have agreed to facilitate people who are not normally registered with a practice if they develop Covid-19 symptoms.
  • Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe will meet the five main banks today to discuss measures about how banks can ease pressure on people during the lockdown.
  • Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection Regina Doherty has said that 16,000 people have already applied to her department for Covid-19 social welfare schemes.
  • The Cabinet has signed off on measures that would allow people to be detained if they have Covid-19 but refuse to self-isolate.
  • The National and Wildlife Service (NPWS) has reminded the public to maintain social distancing even when walking and hiking outdoors.
  • Trinity College Provost Patrick Prendergast has said that students who have been told to vacate their accommodation will be refunded for the time they don’t stay there.

CANADA

NEW: The Registered Nurses of Ontario @RNAO put out a call for retired, faculty, part-time, even full-time nurses to assist with Telehealth wait times and its CEO says over 2,300 have responded and are being deployed. Story coming. #onpoli #onthealth #coronavirus #covid19
Lucas Meyer on Twitter

It’s fascinating (for lack of a better term) to see the students and retired people being called upon.

Telehealth jobs are exploding on the internet.

I recall an early video from the China days where hospital workers were SO overwhelmed, medical workers were getting sick like crazy (1700+ iirc? Need to double check that moo). Anyway, iirc, they flew in 10,000 medical workers from various other provinces to help in Wuhan. I also seem to recall military medics, all kinds of stuff.

I’m thinking a lot about mobilization of resources right now - what I mean is I remember mass movements of trucks trying to get into Wuhan in lockdown conditions, trying to get fresh vegetables to the people.

There was a even a smart woman who modified her remote control toy car to go to the store and pick up “buns”.

So, with people in isolation, and stores already having stocking issues and delivery services being overwhelmed, we may need door to door food relief at some point, Moo, like I’m talking military delivering food supplies.

So many thoughts, trying to express them clearly.

So in Wuhan, some food stores were open and there were different reports, depending on whose live stream from quarantine you watched, as to whether there was a shortage of food or not imo.

Again, America is the land of the plenty but I hope that mobilization programs are in place because we may need them.

Many people have ditched their cars in the green movement and have relied on public transportation and Uber/ Lyft, like me. I’ve reveled in not having a car payment, gas, insurance, and helping the environment at the same time.

Dr Mike talked about in the early days, paraphrasing, that when you have lock downs and border closings, it can also make it more difficult to get relief supplies in.

I can not wait to hear our WHO docs speak today.

These poor guys have been trying to get people to listen...that we have a “window of opportunity” to push this back, but unfortunately so many people disrespected this, and I’m afraid for that we are ALL going to have to pay more.

Last edited:
We signed up to be a foster dog home today with the local humane society. I cannot afford to take on the expense, nor will my health allow me to handle the responsibility of a permanent pet. The foster program allows me to help in the only way I can. The food and vet will be covered. My 22 year old lives with me, just finished her Bachelors with a goal of being a Vet. She currently works in a pet store as the food dept manager. We figured this would be the best way, as a low income household, to help someone. I have a big 6' high fenced in back yard they can play in so I can self isolate but still help.
That is awesome Payroll! I worry about all the fur babies...I've volunteered to walk dogs for the people in my neighborhood who can't get out.

We have a system where they put them outside with their leash already on, I walk them, then ring the doorbell so we're not in contact. And yes, I am wearing gloves just to be safe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox