Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find Marilane
1m ·
UPDATE 3:30PM CST August 8 2020

ADDITIONAL VIDEO showing Marilane Carter checking out and departing from the Quality Inn in West Plains, Missiouri, alone at 6:05 AM on Sunday, August 2, 2020. She appeared to be wearing dark clothing, black tennis shoes, and a dark colored ball cap bearing a white logo on the front.

3 minutes later she drove away in her 2011 GMC Acadia (dark gray) with Kansas license plate 194 LFY.

...See More
117642564_294294965210576_1566007959908422166_n.jpg

-PAXP-deijE.gif

There are plenty of medical events that can cause disorientation, confusion and uncharacteristic behavior. Extreme anxiety, panic attack, seizure, mild stroke, even dehydration can cause these symptoms. People who aren’t aware that they have diabetes and therefore are untreated can have these symptoms if their blood sugar becomes way too high or too low. (MOO, I am not a medical professional.

It is hard to be the wife of someone who’s job depends on keeping up a favorable public opinion. I am proud of people who seek help when they need it! There should be absolutely no shame in seeking medical treatment matter what the problem is.

Having once been in such a situation myself, I was threatened not to seek help and condemned when I did it anyway. I had to leave while he was at work and drive myself several hours to get help. I hope that is not the case with Marilane! MOO

Find Marilane
2h ·
UPDATE 1:15PM CST August 8 2020

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Many of you have asked what you can to do to help search - the family is now requesting anyone interested and able to print and post the attached Missing Person flyer of Marilane in public places like restaurants, hotels, gas stations, rest areas, parks, hospitals, etc. We ask that if you put out flyers, please respond to this post with the location you posted it.

- We are very close to being able to share an update on volunteer search opportunities by water - standby for more on this.

TIPS
- Leads are continuing to come in from the Memphis / West Memphis areas - no lead is insignificant.
- Please call 9-1-1 if you see Marilane or her car. Marilane Carter is 36 years old, white female, 130 lbs, 5'8'', brown hair, green eyes, last seen wearing darker colored clothing - possibly leggings
- Feel free to message the Find Marilane FB page with any other tips, suggestions, leads, etc.

24x7 PRAYER
- we are trusting God to guide our efforts to find Marilane. Feel free to sign up for a prayer spot on the virtual prayer vigil for Marilane here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e49aca72aabff2-find
access code is Psalm 91

Without you guys + the media, the word wouldn't be getting out. Ya'll are amazing. Marilane's entire family is ENCOURAGED by your prayers, comments, and search efforts.

Share. Pray. Hope. #FindMarilane

At 8 pm she left home abruptly to seek mental health treatment in Alabama.

Another thing worth noting in this video is that the brother in law says she was seeking mental health COUNSELING. That’s possibly different than in patient treatment. Maybe she made a quick decision to leave and seek counseling in a state where she could stay with family.

She interned I’m several pls ex he said during college. So at least 15 years ago I would guess.

Again, my bet is it is more to do with leaving a husband for counseling in regards to the relationship. MOO.

It’s a 10 hour drive. I’ll say it’s flat out irresponsible for a woman to drive over night alone. And I’ll go further and say, it’s sad that any husband would think this is ok. I’ve made most of that drive by myself and I’d never want to be alone in some of the areas she’d have to pass through. In fact, I drive a nice, well-maintained car and had a flat on the highway in west Memphis Arkansas just last year. It’s not dangerous for the roads meaning not winding or narrow or hilly, but there are many concerning towns and cities you’d never want to stop in IMHO.
I agree with you. It’s not sexist, it’s reality. I would prefer to go running outside early in the morning when it’s still dark, but I don’t. Because I’m a woman and statistics are not in our favor. It would not be safe to have a car break down in the middle of nowhere, especially being a pretty woman like her.

I really wish we had a true timeline.

Some of my questions:
Was she communicating with her husband and her family during the drive Sat night and early Sunday AM? Did they know she checked into a hotel?

Was her family worried when she didn't arrive in Birmingham within the 10-12 hours it would normally take to drive the trip? Was she going to her sister's that day or to the hospital/clinic?

What were the troubling things she said to them, was it an indication of self harm?

This is such a bizaar missing person case. No presser from LE only updates really from the family...

Husband of missing Overland Park woman says family not giving up hope

The husband of a missing Overland Park, Kansas, woman, said he and family are not giving up hope that Marilane Carter will be found safe.

"I just told our three kids to pray for mom, mommy. We're going to find her. It might take a few days," said Adam Carter, Marilane's husband.

Adam Carter has been in the Mid-South since Tuesday looking for his wife. He said he lost contact with her when she disappeared Sunday night. Her phone went dead somewhere in the area of the I-55 bridge coming into Memphis. Her parents have spent days searching that area.

Adam Carter said he talked with his wife Sunday night and her phone went dead. About 15 minutes later, she talked with her mother and her phone went dead again. No more calls have been made since. Her credit cards have also not been used.

Adam Carter, who is a pastor in Kansas, said Marilane was a chaplain at the place she was heading to in Birmingham.

Adam Carter said he wonders if his wife checked herself into a mental health facility in Mississippi. He even drove to Jackson, but he said mental health facilities do not release information on patients unless you have the ID number.

"I understand why they do that, but this is a life and death situation," Adam Carter said.

More @link WS/TOS
Few new updates/EBM

Last edited:
I really wish we had a true timeline.

Some of my questions:
Was she communicating with her husband and her family during the drive Sat night and early Sunday AM? Did they know she checked into a hotel?

Was her family worried when she didn't arrive in Birmingham within the 10-12 hours it would normally take to drive the trip? Was she going to her sister's that day or to the hospital/clinic?

What were the troubling things she said to them, was it an indication of self harm?

This is such a bizaar missing person case. No presser from LE only updates really from the family...

The family would know she checked into the motel by looking at her bank account. Which makes me wonder if she left so quickly because she doesn't want to be found. She quit using her card after that. I find it concerning that she went out of state to get treatment for a 'sleeping disorder'. Was she seeking medication from a new provider? All moo.

Here's a new video, but not much new info. Good to see it make national news.

Video: Desperate search continues for Kansas mother

The family would know she checked into the motel by looking at her bank account. Which makes me wonder if she left so quickly because she doesn't want to be found. She quit using her card after that. I find it concerning that she went out of state to get treatment for a 'sleeping disorder'. Was she seeking medication from a new provider? All moo.

Here's a new video, but not much new info. Good to see it make national news.

Video: Desperate search continues for Kansas mother

BBM - that is what I am wondering too!

June 21, 2020 - Bulletin for St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Parish, Leawood, KS
https://container.parishesonline.com/bulletins/02/0467/20200621B.pdf

Congrats to those who entered into full communion with the church through the Rite of Christian Initiation on Sat. June 20:
[...]
Marilane Carter
[...]
Ok wow...that’s WAY different than Baptist.

So, let’s look at things differently. I usually never do this. Maybe I’m jaded by so many of the missing cases lately that were voluntarily missing. Let’s look through with that assumption. I’m not even sure I want to post this as it feel so wrong if something is truly wrong with her as it very well could be. But for the sake of considering voluntarily.

1. She leaves at 8 pm at night. (maybe after an argument?)
2. She leaves with not many things which makes no sense because she was driving and could take whatever she wanted.
3. She checks in to a hotel for two hours. She left at 8:15 pm 8-1 and checks in at 3:37 am 8-2. This is 7:22 hours later. The driving time between the two points is 4:18 via the quickest route. What happened to the other 3 hours? Did she buy clothes, suitcase, take money from bank, visit a friend?
Could she have done this because she knew someone was watching her credit cards and it could buy her more time ?
4. Could she have set up a disappearance by claiming confusion? Or is family exaggerating her getting lost?
5. Did she toss her phone over the bridge in west Memphis? If it was her jumping off you’d think her car would be near there and found?

Questions-thoughts-problems I have
WHY WAIT TILL WEDNESDAY 8-5 TO REPORT??

Give me a flipping break! If that’s a sign of how much she’s loved I’d run far away too! Was this seriously the first time she was reported missing?
And this is after knowing she was leaving for mental health reasons and lost in her trip? Maybe that’s what we are supposed to read into this. Maybe it is indicative of problems.

1. Difference in mental health treatment/counseling statements/treatment for problems sleeping.
2. Really bothered by the focus on the statements of kids missing their mommy. Tells me there is a problem with hubby and they are trying to appeal to motherhood.
3. Brother in law claiming backpack, yet she had roller case.
4. The report of money for gas. True? Not true? Was she controlled with money by spouse?
5. Why she left at 8pm and he was ok with it.

I am now voting voluntarily missing.

@diggndeeperstill I am now thinking voluntary missing too after @rainynights post about the communion. That date was the day before Father's Day. The words from her husband about her being appreciated and helpful is another appeal to her, imo. I think the delay in reporting her missing is because they were hoping that she would communicate. All moo

Sometimes I feel for pastors and those in the spotlight. I wish they could just let down the “wall” of public persona and be human in their responses. Take off the smile and public speaking training and show some emotion. It shows no less faith to cry and express how concerned you are with emotion. It doesn’t mean you trust God any less, it just makes you human and relatable.

Also, while I’m on a mini rant... why is there so much taboo about saying you are struggling in a marriage? Marriage is hard. I don’t believe for a second there weren’t problems in this marriage. And I would think acknowledging all truths would help her be found.

Also, just kinda crazy how much she reminds me (In appearance) of Maddie Bell who went missing recently voluntarily.

MOO

A new video from her husband. At the 0:7 closeup, I noticed a scratch on his face. May be nothing. moo
You are right. If related, it’s a week later. Kinda weird they did a closeup... wonder if that was their thought too?

June 21, 2020 - Bulletin for St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Parish, Leawood, KS
https://container.parishesonline.com/bulletins/02/0467/20200621B.pdf

Congrats to those who entered into full communion with the church through the Rite of Christian Initiation on Sat. June 20:
[...]
Marilane Carter
[...]

Wait... what? o_O
I mean, it's not unheard of for a Baptist woman to suddenly shift gears and embrace Roman Catholicism, but it's extremely rare.
In fact, unheard of for a wife of a Baptist pastor.
Source: my own decades long membership of Baptist churches.

https://www.arkansasbaptist.org/post/kansas-pastor-s-wife-goes-missing-on-drive-to-alabama

Associate pastor Jason Franklin told Baptist Press the church is struggling with feelings of having failed the 36-year-old mother of three children, although he said her reported mental health struggles were not common knowledge among the congregation of about 100 worshipers.

Shortly after noon today (Aug. 6), a Find Marilane post indicated that the Crittenden County (Arkansas) Sheriff’s Department has intensified a search for Marilane in West Memphis, Ark., about 10 miles west of Memphis, Tenn., on the other side of the Mississippi River.

“The Crittenden County Sheriff’s Department is now conducting searches with 4-wheelers by ground and drones by air within the area last pinged on Marilane’s cell phone,” the post reads. The sheriff’s department posted on its page, “Missing person possibly last known whereabouts Crittenden County, Arkansas, near the Big River crossing near I-55 and the Old Bridge.”

Law enforcement agencies from at least four states are involved in the search, as well as volunteers. The National Center For Missing and Endangered, Inc., has posted a widely shared press release from Overland Park police announcing Marilane’s disappearance.
Hmmm.. from the article quoted above-
Baptist Press article quoted the Associate Pastor Jason Franklin who stated things a bit differently.

Kansas pastor's wife goes missing on drive to Alabama - Baptist Press

Franklin said nothing seemed amiss when Marilane left Overland Park, nor when she talked with her husband a day later.

“On Saturday when she left, there were no red flags,” Franklin told Baptist Press. “And even Sunday afternoon when Adam spoke to her last, she seemed actually upbeat at that point.”

—-

So I guess she wasn’t getting lost when he talked to her? Or making concerning statements to him?

Kudos to her husband for being open about the possibility of mental health issues. In previous cases, we’ve seen this info withheld and noted that it’s very useful to know this when it comes to thinking through where someone might be.

As far as her leaving around 8pm, and questions of why would her husband “let” her, wow. If she wanted to leave at that hour, then he can “let” her go.

There’s always an assumption that the female is passive and sweet, while the male is aggressive and controlling. Sometimes those characteristics apply to both/either genders.

Yea, I know this is a rant but sheesh. I’m glad her husband let people know his wife might be struggling right now, and he has spoken in a way that I consider respectful of her.

I just hope this really is a case of her wanting to disappear and get help. There's nothing wrong with that and maybe the only way she could to it was to literally stop all contact with everyone. She has a large family, young children, living in a glass bowl with her husband in the ministry. Not blaming anyone but understanding a desire to run and shut down, jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard