Found Deceased CA - Lucas Horan, 39, Emeryville Marina, 24 Dec 2020

He told her he needed to spend 7 days alone, so maybe that’s just what he’s doing? Obviously, the cold night swim, wet clothes and no phone are red flags, but maybe he just doesn’t want to be found by her right now.

Last edited:
He told her he needed to spend 7 days alone, so maybe that’s just what he’s doing? Obviously, the cold night swim wet clothes and no phone are red flags, but maybe he just doesn’t want to be found by her right now.
His last Strava trip is also called "Reasons to return" so I wonder what that's about and if it's related to this 7 day trip he apparently had spoken about.

I don’t think we have a clear and objective outline of what happened ... my wish is for law enforcement to investigate it closely. I believe that is happening and came here mostly in the hopes of confirming that others find this a very odd story - which increases the likelihood the authorities are on top of it.

Hey Folks, before posting anything that might be questionable, please ask a moderator if it is OK. The YouTube channel may or may not be the missing person, but we will need to check it out first. YouTube videos are generally NOT permitted. Exceptions are made with prior permission. We will check this one out and repost if determined to indeed be the missing person.

I'm worried about Lucas because even though California is mostly pretty warm, the Bay is going to be cold right now. Squashing around in wet jeans and sneakers is very likely to lead to hypothermia. It just sounds like a bad idea. We are either missing a lot of information, or we have too much of the wrong thing. Or both.
I can see wanting to take a break, it sounds like there were a lot of stressors. But I can't see leaping, fully clothed, into the bay. At midnight.

I'm worried about Lucas because even though California is mostly pretty warm, the Bay is going to be cold right now. Squashing around in wet jeans and sneakers is very likely to lead to hypothermia. It just sounds like a bad idea. We are either missing a lot of information, or we have too much of the wrong thing. Or both.
I can see wanting to take a break, it sounds like there were a lot of stressors. But I can't see leaping, fully clothed, into the bay. At midnight.
Could not agree more. At 1-2 football fields away from shore? That's not silly and spontaneous fun adventures, it's risky and could kill you.

I'd even argue that someone less capable of doing that would be more likely to do something like this (taking off more than they can chew). He seems to be outdoorsy, he camps, he's often in natural places where injury could lead to death (or at the very least end his hobby) with his long haul running. Maybe it was mental-health related.

I can't imagine it's legal to swim there either. MOO

Last edited:
Thanks @Sillybilly

The description on NamUs says "shoulder-length" which would match the photo on the original poster, but that looks WAY longer that the Youtube video from 2 days before he went missing. There's lots of great photos of him on the finding Lucas site that would have been better for the poster. IMO. Hope this doesn't hamper search efforts.

FWIW there are no apparent red flags from LH's employer, Eureka Therapeutics in Emeryville. It's doing pretty exciting, cutting edge stuff: T-Cell therapies for cancer. Clinical trials are underway, partnering and fundraising are typical for a small biotech, and LH has contributed to several recent patent filings, meeting presentations, and research papers. At least a couple of these were co-authored with the company's CEO. Sources: company website, crunchbase, Researchgate.

If just looking at the information shared by LE:

Login • Instagram
Lucas Hiram (39 yrs old) was last seen 12/24/2020 on the shoreline near the Emeryville Marina in the water swimming from a vessel. Lucas has not been heard from since. He was last seen wearing an unknown color shirt and jeans.
Contact Emeryville Police Dept with any info.
More information visit the family’s website:
what we know — FINDING LUCAS

Emeryville Police Department
https://local.nixle.com/alert/84414...cTzeikmLuA9gZrlZS16aoGsFOWqsc9xMRFAfi9yyKaOsM

Last edited:
Very odd that there was no uploads to YouTube channel above for long time, then a few over 5-8 months ago, then a couple video one week ago filmed at an unknown time.

It continues to be very unusual story... the more I hear the more I worry this was not an accidental drowning.

I have VERY little knowledge of marinas.
Is this Emeryville Marina that is referenced?

Safe Harbor Marinas – Emeryville | Emeryville, California

That's the one, he is said to theoretically have emerged from the water at the tip, then gone down towards the Chinese restaurant in the corner, and onwards towards mainland (apparently there is a homeless encampment he may have wanted to visit? Odd theory IMO). He also lived there and his car is still in the parking apparently.

That's the one, he is said to theoretically have emerged from the water at the tip, then gone down towards the Chinese restaurant in the corner, and onwards towards mainland. He also lived there and his car is still in the parking apparently.
that really makes me question the neighbor's account as that is very inefficient and feels like a waste of time and energy.
the "long covid" thing makes me pause, the fact it can have psychological effects really freaks me out and makes me wonder if we will be hearing more bizarre or tragic stories for the next few years. ugh :(
come home safe, Lucas!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back