GUILTY Canada - Melissa Richmond, 28, stabbed to death, Winchester, Ont, 24 July 2013

The fact that police were looking so close to home, and no where near the shopping centre, is unusual. It could mean that she went to Chesterville rather than the South Keys shopping centre. If her husband had anything to do with this, then he had a very long walk home ... and that doesn't make sense. It doesn't really add up.

You're absolutely right, it doesn't add up.

I'm certainly hopeful that the husband can provide the answers the police need to catch whoever did this.

That being said, it may be possible for a perp to flee a scene on foot for a distance, flag down a cab or grab a bus to the edge of the city and walk a distance from there...if they lived very far away.

Possible, but as we agree, unlikely and just doesn't make sense.

You're absolutely right, it doesn't add up.

I'm certainly hopeful that the husband can provide the answers the police need to catch whoever did this.

That being said, it may be possible for a perp to flee a scene on foot for a distance, flag down a cab or grab a bus to the edge of the city and walk a distance from there...if they lived very far away.

Possible, but as we agree, unlikely and just doesn't make sense.

Since the circumstances seem so unusual, I'm tempted to start at the beginning with three possibilities: husband (always has to be excluded), acquaintance, stranger. If a cab took someone from the mall to, say, Chesterville, that would stand out - not much of a sneaky getaway.

I think that there's almost a hope that the husband did this, as the alternative - that there's a deranged person that murdered a young wife roaming free - is a concern for everyone.

If the car was 'planted' at Denny's then that only leaves one suspect who would have known that Denny's would have been a typical place for her car to be.

If the car was 'planted' at Denny's then that only leaves one suspect who would have known that Denny's would have been a typical place for her car to be.

If the car was "planted" there for a reason, then yes, one could assume that the husband was responsible. On the other hand, that is a very large parking lot and it's not unusual for criminals to abandon vehicle in a parking lot. It seems to me that the only reason that Denny's is mentioned is because it is in the parking lot near where the car was found ... not the other way around ... that is, there have not been reports that she planned to go to Denny's that night.

If the perp was a stranger, my $ is on him living in one of the two large apartment buildings very close to South Keys.

Jmo

Melissa lived in a pretty rural area, correct? If someone "close to home" did this, would they really choose to leave the car and the body in town where there are a lot of potential witnesses? It seems it would be "safer" to put the body somewhere rural where it wouldn't be found. Just my thoughts, I have no idea how this will play out.

Melissa lived in a pretty rural area, correct? If someone "close to home" did this, would they really choose to leave the car and the body in town where there are a lot of potential witnesses? It seems it would be "safer" to put the body somewhere rural where it wouldn't be found. Just my thoughts, I have no idea how this will play out.

Police were looking in the rural area 10 minutes West of their home ... so the murder may well have occurred there, or there was an abduction in that area ... and the car and body were left at or near the shopping centre to throw police off.

Police intensify search for Richmond murder suspect

Ottawa police have intensified their search for a suspect in the death of Melissa Richmond, stopping cars and asking drivers near the South Keys Shopping Centre if they have seen anything suspicious.

About a dozen officers asked drivers questions and jotted down license plate numbers Wednesday night, close to where Melissa Richmond's body was found on July 28.

A police source has told CBC News that there were signs of trauma on the body.

Richmond was missing for five days before her body was found. On the night of July 24 she told her husband that she was going for a drive at around 11:30 p.m.

Her car was found in the parking lot two days later.

Funeral arrangements announced
Richmond's funeral will be held on Saturday at St. George's Chapel in Petawawa.

A makeshift memorial to Richmond is growing in front of the South Keys Shopping Centre.

Richmond's husband Howard is asking that donations be made to the Winchester Food Bank, where the couple volunteered, in lieu of flowers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...nsify-search-for-richmond-murder-suspect.html

So who is the suspect?

Maybe if they made that public they would get some tips on where the person is.

On the other hand the suspect mustn't be the husband, I would think LE would know where he is. I don't believe he has suddenly disappeared or at least no one has suggested that he is no where to be found if he has.

JMO.

So who is the suspect?

On the other hand the suspect mustn't be the husband, I would think LE would know where he is. I don't believe he has suddenly disappeared or at least no one has suggested that he is no where to be found if he has.

JMO.

According to reports as late as yesterday, the police still have not questioned the husband because he is not currently a suspect.

I've never heard of a murder case where the significant other was not questioned at all. Why the hell has he not been interviewed whether he is a POI or not? I don't get it.

So who is the suspect?

JMO.

?? They don't know 'who' the suspect is. They are trying to track them down.

... drive alone after a day with friends?

I don't actually think it's unusual for someone, especially someone with a somewhat introverted personality, to get a bit overstimulated from being with people and want to go for a quiet drive to cool down. JMO.

?? They don't know 'who' the suspect is. They are trying to track them down.

Police intensify search for Richmond murder suspect

I guess you can read those headlines two ways. They are searching for the suspect or trying to search for who is a suspect.

Maybe the person who wrote the article or the editor should realize that.

"Police intensified their search for a suspect in the Richmond murder case" would be a lot better IMO.

I wonder if anyone has considered, with respect to the possibility of a random attack, South Keys' proximity to the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport. That mall is usually my first and/or last stop when heading in/out of the area.

People bored on layovers, for instance have been known to think they can get away with some pretty awful things then get out of the area quickly.

vwaOK84.jpg

(For illustrative purposes, to show how South Keys really is the first business area a non-native would likely run into coming from the airport, despite it being nearly 5km away.)

Ottawa homicide victim helped husband through PTSD

While speaking with the CBC's Judy Trinh, Richmond said his wife has been there for him as he is receiving treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder.

Howard Richmond posted this photo on his Facebook page with his late wife, Melissa, The couple, who are 22 years apart, were in a Medieval re-enactment group together.Howard Richmond posted this photo on his Facebook page with his late wife, Melissa, The couple, who are 22 years apart, were in a Medieval re-enactment group together. (Facebook)
"I don't know if CBC knows but I'm going through treatment for PTSD." he said, overcome by tears.

"She was a rock going through it all."

Richmond said his wife enjoyed going for drives, as he also does, and said she was heading out at about 11:30 p.m. on July 24. But when she did not return it was unnerving for her husband.

"I started panicking. I tried to rationalize it," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...nsify-search-for-richmond-murder-suspect.html

I don't actually think it's unusual for someone, especially someone with a somewhat introverted personality, to get a bit overstimulated from being with people and want to go for a quiet drive to cool down. JMO.

That's true, but it was unusual that she had forgotten her cell phone on that drive in particular...In very rural, sparsely populated surroundings in the middle of the night.

Statistics suggest the odds are overwhelming that it is not likely a random attack and rather someone she knew.

Snipped for space:

I tend to agree that it was someone she knew. Not buying the stranger theory. I don't even want to write here what my suspicions are until there is difinitive evidence pointing that way.

So they 'committed' to each other while he was in his 40's and she in her teens.

Her 'about' info on her FB indicated she was engaged to him at 19 (while he was ~41) and married at 20 (he was ~42).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back