Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all want to share updated information but please think of the hostages & families before posting names of those involved. If a news article has the name of a hostage please don't post.

THe name posted was of one of the ladies released and named in MSM - the only person that has been named. Remaining hostage tweets and names should not be posted. Not your choice if it's in MSM.

This may have been posted before ... I missed about 20 pages of the thread, but this is the moment the news broke during the Morning Show. Clearly shows the special forces in the background of the set.

214xs05.png

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/video/watch/25777629/martin-place-siege/

I was watching it live as it all was happening, they stayed on air for about 20-30 mins & had the cameras pointed directly to the cafe showing the poor hostages with there arms up against the windows & the flag..........I thought they handled a very difficult situation well...if it was me I would've been outta there quick smart!!!

Just up over here had hoped it would be over.
Managed to get in touch with friends and family and they are safe. The hostages and all of Sydney are in my thoughts today.

Just up over here had hoped it would be over.
Managed to get in touch with friends and family and they are safe. The hostages and all of Sydney are in my thoughts today.

Good news, jojo.

Will be getting dark soon :( love and thoughts to all involved inc police etc <3

Reporters with a view into the building are saying hostages are looking very stressed, huddled at one end of the building, one against the window. Maybe 15 or so people in there.

People are BUYING BEERS to sit outside and watch -- ffs, Australia.

Is this coming from channel 7?
It's just so distressing...

Is anyone going to sleep tonight? - as in any of us? I feel I need to see this through...

Is anyone going to sleep tonight? - as in any of us? I feel I need to see this through...

I think it's their reporter tweeting this information.........

Simon te Brinke &#8207;@gramercypark 9 mins9 minutes ago
If you&#8217;re following the #MartinPlace siege on Twitter - @ChrisReason7 is tweeting from across the street at @7NewsSydney desk. #sydneysiege

Me, too.. no sleep for me.

News came from ABC live streaming.http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

It's been pretty reliable all day, connection-wise.

The local buddhist monks are chanting loud tonight, prayers echoing through the streets. It's very calming.

I need to stay up but i need to go to bed. Start a new job tomorrow. Same employer, more senior position. So lucidity may win over the desire to see this through.

I love it how this dude is "known to Police" and his "whereabouts have been known for some time" but the bleeding hearts are saying it's not a terrorist act. Righto!!

CH 7 TV News .... Tony Abbott cancelled plans to fly back to Sydney tonight. Is staying in Parliament House in Canberra. Close to the phone. He is probably safer there as well. I would imagine that security has been upped around all the important figureheads tonight.

Chris Reason @ChrisReason7 · 2m 2 minutes ago

The lights in the cafe have just gone off

Not getting into an argument with you but decency is called for, it's an ongoing situation.

I agree margeret. I'm not a mod either and I can't tell anyone what to do. WS generally is pretty generous as to what information it allows once it's been released in the MSM.

However, when the police are asking specifically not to have that information out there we have to assume it's for a good reason. If it was one of our relatives in there we would not want anyone doing anything, even inadvertently, that made it even the slightest bit harder for the police to focus on the task at hand.

I can think of a couple reasons why that might be so. If this terrorist is monitoring the media, as seems to be the case, and one name gets out and starts being displayed everywhere and talked about, and pray for so-and-so FB pages going up, etc. that person may seem like a more valuable target to the terrorist. What if, upon learning the identity of one of the hostages it turns out that she works for the TV station or that he is some big shot banker with lots of money and connections? A guy who is making small time demands could suddenly up the ante.

Beyond that, don't know how it is in Oz, but here, once that name gets out, there will be fifty reporters in front of that person's house and fifty in front of their mother's house, etc, and that could force the police to put resources in those areas for security and traffic control, etc. who even if they are not SWAT or special operations officers might be put to better use elsewhere.

So I suggest, and it's obviously just a suggestion, that we kind of self-censor ourselves regarding any information the police have specifically requested not be publicized.

This is what Reuters is publishing ....

"Fears of jihadist attack as hostages held in Sydney cafe

Lindt Australia Chief Executive Steve Loane told Sky Business there were about 10 staff at the cafe and "probably 30 customers" although he said that was an estimate.

The nearby U.S. consulate was also evacuated, according to an embassy spokeswoman .....

Concerns about an attack in Australia by Islamists have been growing for more than a year, with the security agency raising its national terrorism public alert to "high" in September.

That month, a spokesman for the Islamic State urged supporters in Western nations, including Australia, to attack civilians or military personnel at home."

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/12/15/australia-security-idINKBN0JT05J20141215

I agree margeret. I'm not a mod either and I can't tell anyone what to do. WS generally is pretty generous as to what information it allows once it's been released in the MSM.

However, when the police are asking specifically not to have that information out there we have to assume it's for a good reason. If it was one of our relatives in there we would not want anyone doing anything, even inadvertently, that made it even the slightest bit harder for the police to focus on the task at hand.

I can think of a couple reasons why that might be so. If this terrorist is monitoring the media, as seems to be the case, and one name gets out and starts being displayed everywhere and talked about, and pray for so-and-so FB pages going up, etc. that person may seem like a more valuable target to the terrorist. What if, upon learning the identity of one of the hostages it turns out that she works for the TV station or that he is some big shot banker with lots of money and connections? A guy who is making small time demands could suddenly up the ante.

Beyond that, don't know how it is in Oz, but here, once that name gets out, there will be fifty reporters in front of that person's house and fifty in front of their mother's house, etc, and that could force the police to put resources in those areas for security and traffic control, etc. who even if they are not SWAT or special operations officers might be put to better use elsewhere.

So I suggest, and it's obviously just a suggestion, that we kind of self-censor ourselves regarding any information the police have specifically requested not be publicized.

I know if I was a family member I would be distressed if my members name had been released without their consent, it's a different case if they have approached the media. Until then I prefer not to read any article that publishes this information. It was requested for a reason. In saying that Sky News is reporting that one of the male hostages that escaped is now tweeting but have chosen not to divulge his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLEUTHER TRAE PGH