FEATURED Help Find Marvin "Rusty" Holderman/ Police Reached out to Websleuths, 2008?

I had a good friend go off the grid for over 10 years, then he got sober and his life is good.

OT:
I had a friend who didn't call his mother/family for over 10 years. I harped on him constantly to call his mum, just to let her know he was alive but he wouldn't. I asked him why he wasn't calling, or sending a letter (no internet back then, LOL), and he said there was no real reason. They didn't have a falling out or anything. Time just got away from him, and the longer he put it off, the more difficult it was for him because I think he was embarrassed for not staying in touch. I can't imagine how worried the poor woman was all that time, not hearing from him. He finally called her out of the blue one time, and made a point of calling me and telling me that he'd contacted her.

So, it is possible to go extended periods of time without a family hearing from a loved one, and that loved one still be alive.

OT:
I had a friend who didn't call his mother/family for over 10 years. I harped on him constantly to call his mum, just to let her know he was alive but he wouldn't. I asked him why he wasn't calling, or sending a letter (no internet back then, LOL), and he said there was no real reason. They didn't have a falling out or anything. Time just got away from him, and the longer he put it off, the more difficult it was for him because I think he was embarrassed for not staying in touch. I can't imagine how worried the poor woman was all that time, not hearing from him. He finally called her out of the blue one time, and made a point of calling me and telling me that he'd contacted her.

So, it is possible to go extended periods of time without a family hearing from a loved one, and that loved one still be alive.

ETA: On that note, is there a DB of living John and Jane Does out there that are in institutions? If not, I think there should be, but HIPAA may be a barrier to that

Even though it's been 9 years, Rusty could still be alive, just incapacitated or institutionalized somewhere without knowing who he is.

Oh my, this triggered something for me. There was a guy in Michigan I think or somewhere up north. Had cancer. Died. No one knew who he was. Oh, I hate getting old and having CRS disease of the brain. Can't remember the details. But I just pictured the guy in my head and I remember red hair. He has a thread here somewhere I think.

11 years is a long time. Is there any way to find out where he hung out/slept/ate in Kissimmee? Did he smoke? Did he have an attire preference? Did he ride a bike or walk everywhere? Who should we ask to get this type of background information, Detective Hess directly?
Did he die as a UID? Was his DNA collected? If so, then LE knows where he is. Did the Detective ask his sister for her DNA to make a possible match? I doubt it. That would be two easy.

According to Rusty's Namus page (https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/34746/0/), he has DNA on file. So yeah, if he matched any unidentified remains that also have DNA, that would be known. But there are many remains that don't have DNA and many more that still aren't in Namus. And he might not even be dead.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I'm disappointed that there was never any feedback on any of these cases for us to follow up on. I wonder where ol' Rusty is.

:thinking:

According to Rusty's Namus page (https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/34746/0/), he has DNA on file. So yeah, if he matched any unidentified remains that also have DNA, that would be known. But there are many remains that don't have DNA and many more that still aren't in Namus. And he might not even be dead.
Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Exactly, Carbuff, I agree. He could still be alive, that is not outside of the realm of possibilities.

So a bit ago I followed up with Detective Hess to find out how we should proceed after the first, initial spreadsheet. I did not spend any time on a second one because I didn't want to spin my wheels until we received feedback.

I finally received a response. He thanked us, but asked us to hold off on any further action for now. Apparently some skeletal remains were recently recovered in the area and he's waiting on the DNA results. I don't know how recent, but they must have been his height. He didn't say anything about any of the finds we gave him, so I'm doubting they are any we've already submitted.

So a bit ago I followed up with Detective Hess to find out how we should proceed after the first, initial spreadsheet. I did not spend any time on a second one because I didn't want to spin my wheels until we received feedback.

I finally received a response. He thanked us, but asked us to hold off on any further action for now. Apparently some skeletal remains were recently recovered in the area and he's waiting on the DNA results. I don't know how recent, but they must have been his height. He didn't say anything about any of the finds we gave him, so I'm doubting they are any we've already submitted.

Thanks for the update Gigtu! I was pretty disappointed there was not much of a response but it's good to know that the detective is pursuing other leads.

Hmmm... Wonder if it could be the remains found in the septic tank? ETA link: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Skeletal-Remains-found-in-Septic-Tank-Aug-17

There are also these recent remains in Escambia County: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Skeletal-Remains-in-Woods-off-Coker-Ln-Aug-17

And the skull near Key Largo: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...r-Card-Sound-Bridge-in-North-Key-Largo-Aug-17

None of these are super close to where Rusty was last known to be, however.

IMO this could be him...but said his weight at 106 lbs?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/16019 * warning: graphic photo of UID

I wonder if LE looked at this man as a potential match?

Unidentified white male, found March 25, 2015 72" tall (6'), 105 lbs at time of death, Red/Auburn hair, Reddish/White mustache and beard.
Body found in open field Redlands, CA (San Bernadino County, CA)

Graying of beard in same patterning, and also Rusty's red patch on the tip of his nose is in the same spot as the deceased. Also, appears deceased had no upper teeth, and Rusty had missing teeth. Curly red hair similar to Rusty's.
Deceased was emaciated at 105 lbs, and could possible have had skin cancer.

PS... If deceased did have skin cancer, as it may be the case on his nose, then perhaps tattoos (such as Rusty's) also wouldn't appear as anything other than decomposing sarcoma.

Did Rusty go home to California?

btw, You all rock~

Somebody asked about listings for people who die without relatives, etc. I am told there's a separate Unclaimed category within the Namus system. I haven't looked at it to see whether it's useful or anything, just leaving this here in case whoever was wondering about it is still checking this thread.

Somebody asked about listings for people who die without relatives, etc. I am told there's a separate Unclaimed category within the Namus system. I haven't looked at it to see whether it's useful or anything, just leaving this here in case whoever was wondering about it is still checking this thread.
https://www.claimus.org

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I wonder if this is one of the reasons it's taking so long to determine in the remains found near Kissimmee could be Rusty.

http://www.lex18.com/story/36172805/dna-lab-reduces-testing-for-missing-people-amid-funding-woes
A Texas lab that's a world leader in specialized DNA testing has stopped accepting samples from outside the state because of funding issues.

<snipped>

... detectives have had to pay for expensive testing at private labs or submit remains to queues at the FBI. Others have stored samples and suspended investigations until testing resumes.

That means family members of missing and unidentified people are waiting longer for cases to be solved.

Yes, that is one of the reasons. And private labs can charge up to $3,000 to extract DNA from a hair sample. So testing costs lot of money and families of victims most likely don't know this. A department only gets so much money in a budget year and they have to decide how to use that money for forensics. FLDE is free, but they don't do all the tests. Some have to be sent out. I think there should be GO FUND ME sites to raise money, but not sure if that is okay with some Agencies.

Kissimmee just lost two officers in that horrible shooting spree. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocoflakes51
Back