MO - Sherrill Levitt, 47, Suzie Streeter, 19, & Stacy McCall, 18, Springfield, 7 June 1992 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Springfield Three - Criminology - Omny.fm
omny.fm › shows › criminology › the-springfield-three

Mar 14, 2020 - You can help support the show at patreon.com/criminology An Emash ... their disappearance case, would become known as The Springfield Three. ... Criminology is a true crime podcast that takes a deep dive into some of the ...
The timeline is wrong in that podcast. It says Janis went to the house at 12:30 with a group of people but that didn't happen. Janis went to the house much later in the evening.

As I like conspiracy theories, I'm a fan of the APCO/restaurant debunked sightings (and the lady on the porch seeing the van), but they are a major rut, you're right. I'll still pick Suzie as the target, though God only knows.
I have never put much stock, in the apco or restaraunt sightings. I think the target was Suzie or Sherrill. Maybe Suzie, for whatever reason & Sherrill, just to rub some salt in?

I can think of only one person. Sherrill.

Maybe I’m out of line but to my mind that points to one suspect only. And the motive is clear.

Now if someone chooses to believe the APCO debunked story we are still stuck in a rut.
One suspect? Hmmm....? Are you suggesting Cox or Carnahan? With the motive being sexual assault? Or a family member, with some bitter feelings? Those are the 1st 3, that come to mind, from your hints. Curious minds....... Well, you know.

If one woman were the target - which? Of the younger women, agreed Suzie had the higher risk lifestyle and would have made the more likely target? What known aspects of Sherrill's life might make her a target? Was Stacy likely only to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time? Do subsequent events in Bartt's life cause you to reassess his possible culpability here? - discuss. And, above all, WHODUNNIT? (and what became of the bodies?).

I've said this before, and I still think it is entirely possible that:
1) There are situations where all three could have been targeted, either because all three knew something (or someone thought all three knew something).
2) There were a lot of young kids involved. And you know how rumors get spread among high school age kids. We already know a lot of rumors mentioned here that sound like things high school kids would say - things like so and so is pregnant, so and so is mad at whoever, etc.
3) I think it's possible there was a plan in process, but something happened that particular night which forced action. When all things were considered, this was probably a riskier night than many others for this action. Something someone (a guest at one of the parties) might have overheard.
4) I think the actions of some people close to the missing three, whether they knew it or not, is what set the events of the evening in process.
5) Given that type of involvement, I can see why the ancillary players who got the wheels rolling may have remained silent as they might be considered accessories.
6) The women had to be removed. Were they killed at the house, it would have been easier to trace back through the chain to figure who did it. In the end, I think the motive was silence, not revenge.

What I can't see is how there is no real sign of struggle at the house. A broken light globe makes no sense unless the only struggle was outside the house. Otherwise, there would be more disarray inside the house and stuff probably broken.

As for other theories, my opinions:
Bartt was a convenient suspect, given some of his past. But I'm confident he wasn't involved. Even if he'd gotten someone to "do him a favor", someone would have probably rolled over by now - selling him out for reduced time. I think anyone involved that's already in jail isn't rolling because they don't have a "big fish" to roll on.
I don't buy a sexual predator. Many times those crimes are impulsive. The actual events of the night don't really seem impulsive.

Just my theories.

1) There are situations where all three could have been targeted, either because all three knew something (or someone thought all three knew something).
2) There were a lot of young kids involved. And you know how rumors get spread among high school age kids. We already know a lot of rumors mentioned here that sound like things high school kids would say - things like so and so is pregnant, so and so is mad at whoever, etc.
3) I think it's possible there was a plan in process, but something happened that particular night which forced action. When all things were considered, this was probably a riskier night than many others for this action. Something someone (a guest at one of the parties) might have overheard.
4) I think the actions of some people close to the missing three, whether they knew it or not, is what set the events of the evening in process.
5) Given that type of involvement, I can see why the ancillary players who got the wheels rolling may have remained silent as they might be considered accessories.
6) The women had to be removed. Were they killed at the house, it would have been easier to trace back through the chain to figure who did it. In the end, I think the motive was silence, not revenge.

What I can't see is how there is no real sign of struggle at the house. A broken light globe makes no sense unless the only struggle was outside the house. Otherwise, there would be more disarray inside the house and stuff probably broken.

Bartt was a convenient suspect, given some of his past. But I'm confident he wasn't involved. Even if he'd gotten someone to "do him a favor", someone would have probably rolled over by now - selling him out for reduced time. I think anyone involved that's already in jail isn't rolling because they don't have a "big fish" to roll on.
I don't buy a sexual predator. Many times those crimes are impulsive. The actual events of the night don't really seem impulsive.

Just my theories.
You make some very valid points. Many of which, I agree. No time, now, but I hope to re-reply, later. You covered alot of ground, here. LOL

One suspect? Hmmm....? Are you suggesting Cox or Carnahan? With the motive being sexual assault? Or a family member, with some bitter feelings? Those are the 1st 3, that come to mind, from your hints. Curious minds....... Well, you know.

Probable Cox involved. But he was not the way into the house. Ask yourself. Of all the possible people on the planet who was the one person who could have gained entry?

Of course it could have been a cop.

Little to believe the target was anyone other than Sherrill. Suzie wasn’t even supposed to be there.

IMO, there is a very clear motive. That is the key to solving the case.

Having said this, I have no idea how the police believed it was a sexual assault in the home.

If one woman were the target - which? Of the younger women, agreed Suzie had the higher risk lifestyle and would have made the more likely target? What known aspects of Sherrill's life might make her a target? Was Stacy likely only to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time? Do subsequent events in Bartt's life cause you to reassess his possible culpability here? - discuss. And, above all, WHODUNNIT? (and what became of the bodies?).
Suzie was most likely target. Sherrill & Stacy were a bonus, for the sickos, who more than likely sexually assaulted, all 3, before murdering. Stacy was in wrong place, wrong time. Concerning Bart's subsequent actions? Yup, absolutely a person of interest. Inha
Probable Cox involved. But he was not the way into the house. Ask yourself. Of all the possible people on the planet who was the one person who could have gained entry?

Of course it could have been a cop.

Little to believe the target was anyone other than Sherrill. Suzie wasn’t even supposed to be there.

IMO, there is a very clear motive. That is the key to solving the case.

Having said this, I have no idea how the police believed it was a sexual assault in the home.
Thanks Mule. You answered my question, without pointing fingers, except for Cox & he is free game. I can see all your points. Still don't think a cop was involved, though. No proof of that. Just my gut.

Dang! An alert, cut off my previous reply, to this post. Ok. To close, I have alot compassion, sympathy, whatever you want to call it. I reall don't think the guy had anything, to do with it. But, subsequent actions, demand he be looked at, until this is solved. Who dunnit? Can't say, without proof. I do think the bodies. Were most likely burned, similiar to the Gary McCullough case, from 99, in Barry county. I doubt they are underwater, but could be buried. You know, like on private land, within 15- 30 min., of Delmar. I also totally believe, the 2 people, who discovered the scene, at Delmar, have not been totally honest & their actions, there, make me believe, they really can not be wiped off the list of POI.

Last edited:

Just my theories.
1) I don't believe Stacy was a target. Wrong place, wrong time.
2) Very likely kids involved. Pregnancy? Naw.
3) I agree, there was some planning & something coulda gone wrong or been said, etc., earlier in the evening.
4) Yup. This wasn't just some random event or crime of opportunity.
5) Not sure what you mean?
6) EXACTLY!!
There was minimal struggle, inside, because there was more than one "armed" perp & they got em out, very smoothly & quick. I think when reality of abduction, set in, a brief fight was put up & the globe was broken.
If Bartt did it, he would've been found out, long ago. He doesn't seem to have the means or the "whatever to pull this off & never be caught. Plus, they were killed & disposed of on private land. He had none, to my knowledge.
I also do not buy the sexual predator theory. Although, they were raped tortuted, because these people are sick! Silence was the motive. Not rape or revenge.

I've always found the victims' employment histories interesting. Having lived in a Springfield-sized town, I found, during those wild days prior to the end of the century, that those sorts of job locales were prime places to encounter drugs, hear them discussed, find where to get them - the gym and the salon for coke and the theater for a variety of cheaper alternatives. Which reinforces my belief that, in some way, shape or form, drugs may have been a prime mover in the event on Delmar.

Secondly, I wish we had a separate thread where you guys that really, really know this case, the savvy vets and the true researchers, could, World Series of Poker-style, lay down your cards and see who has the best hand - a place where we could go back to the beginning and learn chronologically the knowns or unknowns about the event, and the real likelihoods of what did transpire. I for one would be very happy to sit in the crowd and watch it unfold.

Last edited:
I can think of only one person. Sherrill.

Maybe I’m out of line but to my mind that points to one suspect only. And the motive is clear.

Now if someone chooses to believe the APCO debunked story we are still stuck in a rut.

What if: Sherrill had quite a few clients, some of whom could possibly be pretty well connected to, or know, some corruption in city and/or county government or LE. Maybe one of her clients let something slip as she was getting her hair done by Sherrill and, well, something had to be done...

Anyone know if Sherrill catered to any of the wives of people high up in city or county government or LE?

Contrastly, maybe Sherrill did the hair of some underworld 's GF/wife. Same scenario...

I have no problem with this idea getting shot down. Just some musing on my part. This crime has not been solved in over 27 years (not that I think the inept SPD could have solved it). It's probable the only way this case will be resolved is by a deathbed confession...

What if: Sherrill had quite a few clients, some of whom could possibly be pretty well connected to, or know, some corruption in city and/or county government or LE. Maybe one of her clients let something slip as she was getting her hair done by Sherrill and, well, something had to be done...

Anyone know if Sherrill catered to any of the wives of people high up in city or county government or LE?

Contrastly, maybe Sherrill did the hair of some underworld ****'s GF/wife. Same scenario...

I have no problem with this idea getting shot down. Just some musing on my part. This crime has not been solved in over 27 years (not that I think the inept SPD could have solved it). It's probable the only way this case will be resolved is by a deathbed confession...
take that thought in a different direction .She let it be known that Suzie was graduating & would be going to Branson and she would be home alone for the weekend ... A LOT of personal information goes down in salons . She had over 200 + clients .

take that thought in a different direction .She let it be known that Suzie was graduating & would be going to Branson and she would be home alone for the weekend ... A LOT of personal information goes down in salons . She had over 200 + clients .

I have a hard time believing that anyone would use that night to plan an abduction or murder. Graduation night has parties and kids moving around and plans changing. Also neighbors are outside and so are cops. Sherrill could have decided to go to a neighbors at the last minute. There had to be plenty of days when schedules were much clearer. One party gets broken up by cops, you have kids needing places to stay. Sherrill could have ended up taking in more strays whether she wanted to or not. How long had the trip to Branson been planned? For Stacy it seemed important to have plans because her mother seemed in favor of the school lock in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname