SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.

worm

Reaction score
Not much on this yet but I got it on yahoo and foxcarolina.com. This mother and son were found near a dog kennel on their property in Colleton County SC. Their family has a long history of connections to the legal system in the Lowcountry and the son, who was murdered, was currently facing charges in a boating accident causing death.

2 Murdaugh family members shot, killed in Colleton County SC homicide

APPROVED LOCAL SOURCES:
FITSNEWS
The Island Packet

APPROVED PODCASTS:
Murdaugh Murders by Mandy Matney
Impact of Influence - The Murdaugh Family Murders

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16
Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it's obvious that it's the video and that the prosecutor had turned it over to the defense in discovery. SC Judicial Branch

There is still much more to the Murdaugh Saga to be uncovered, and I am glad they are still involved. MOO
I agree so much more will be revealed regarding the finances and/or other nefarious activity. here's what baffles me: it is incredulous that the law firm did not have ONE account only where settlement money would be held in trust and then disbursed to the client....that AM and/or other lawyers were allowed to deposit settlement money outside of the control of the law firm. doesnt anyone else find that odd there were no controls within the law firm to keep track of how settlements were disbursed?

I agree so much more will be revealed regarding the finances and/or other nefarious activity. here's what baffles me: it is incredulous that the law firm did not have ONE account only where settlement money would be held in trust and then disbursed to the client....that AM and/or other lawyers were allowed to deposit settlement money outside of the control of the law firm. doesnt anyone else find that odd there were no controls within the law firm to keep track of how settlements were disbursed?
My understanding is the firm did have procedures in place that allowed them to have control over settlement money. However, AM didn't follow the procedures. Big shock.....AM didn't think the rules applied to him.

It's hard to remember that far back, but it seems like they were all finalized the 3rd day of jury selection, but he would have appeared prior to that to make it to that 3rd day. Here is L&C playlist for the trial

Thanks listened to a bit of it...a bit hard to follow. What is striking to me having been involved in 2 jury selections and seen a few others and know that a case can be won/lost during jury selection this was different. I heard no attorneys questioning the jurors in such a major murder case. I guess this is the way it is done in SC but seems odd. Mostly group questioning by the judge. It was clearly a challenge to get some that could be fair as I think almost all admitted to hearing about the case.

He had connections at the bank cashing the checks.

We had a similar situation with bank executive, local sheriff, and deputies laundering money.
Moo....

Thanks listened to a bit of it...a bit hard to follow. What is striking to me having been involved in 2 jury selections and seen a few others and know that a case can be won/lost during jury selection this was different. I heard no attorneys questioning the jurors in such a major murder case. I guess this is the way it is done in SC but seems odd. Mostly group questioning by the judge. It was clearly a challenge to get some that could be fair as I think almost all admitted to hearing about the case.
Merely having knowledge of the case, from whatever source, is not sufficient in itself to disqualify a juror in any state or federal trial "for cause." Nor is forming an impression from the coverage that the defendant is guilty. It is only when a juror has made up his mind and believes he cannot set aside his pre-conceived decision about the case (for either the defense or the prosecution) that the judge must excuse him.

Randy can distance himself now all he wants...self preservation for himself and his family. He was an active member of this family up to the murders and knows a lot.
Seems RM goes to the national news outlets when he needs a public relations boost: Good Morning America with JMM to claim he didn’t know what people meant when they ”use words like dynasty” and that they were suffering like all families suffer and that “Maggie was the ROCK of that family” after the murders and now the New York Times after Alex’s conviction to claim distance from Alex, in the years before the murders and now.

Seems like if he were accustomed to splitting his own wood - as the writer of that piece in the New York Times said they did together - he’d know better than to leave the most seasoned wood at the bottom of the pile. Maybe “the most seasoned“ is just unaware it appears different and hoping no one will notice.

Last edited:
Merely having knowledge of the case, from whatever source, is not sufficient in itself to disqualify a juror in any state or federal trial "for cause." Nor is forming an impression from the coverage that the defendant is guilty. It is only when a juror has made up his mind and believes he cannot set aside his pre-conceived decision about the case (for either the defense or the prosecution) that the judge must excuse him.
agree but they then move to the next phase of having formed an opinion (which many had) and the big question can you set that all aside. But the issue with James was not knowledge it was a personal relationship with LE who seemed to be involved in the case. I am not certain of the extent of his involvement and assume that was explored to the satisfaction of both sides. I do think a simple statement by jurors is fine but I think the more James talks he may be not helping out himself or fellow jurors. You have a defense team watching every move they make.

I never heard she had broken ribs. I seen a picture of her feet upwards on what appeared to be the second step heading up to the door. I can’t see how she would have broken ribs if she fell backwards. Sorry I can’t remember where I seen the picture, so I can’t link it.
yes, I read about the broken ribs. its unfortunate her family didnt question the injuries when she was in the hospital and when she subsequently passed, inquire why her death was ruled natural causes at that time. unfortunately with alex murdaugh meddling from the onset, just another 'case' which Im glad is being investigated.

I don’t find it odd that they used companies established for that purpose, but I do find it very ODD (as I’ve written here before) that they had such poor internal controls over tracking that the funds ACTUALLY went to companies properly established and set up for that purpose with their own controls for the protection of those funds and distribution to appropriate parties.

Reliance on the legal clients to report misdirected funds when the only contact that client had was with the specific Attorney they worked with was like no control at all. And the ease with which Alex, Lafitte, Cory Fleming and others worked together to deceive clients begs the question about how many others have been deceived (and how much more in funds has been misdirected) that have not yet surfaced.

RE: Jail house conversations between AM and BM

BM seems annoyed with AM in every conversation I've listened to.

I thought so too and that’s why I wasn’t sure what to expect from him testifying. But when he did it was clear that he was willing to testify according to what would make AM look good. Although Bus wasn’t as bad as JM in his word emphasis. The “absolutely’s” from JM were obviously phony. ‘Did Alex adore Mags?’ ‘He absolutely did, in fact blah blah blah…’

I was waiting for JM to say Pau Pau too because that was also the tone of his testimony. If anyone was going to follow with ‘Pau Pau’ it would have been JM.

Seems RM goes to the national news outlets when he needs a public relations boost: Good Morning America with JMM to claim he didn’t know what people meant when they ”use words like dynasty” and that they were suffering like all families suffer and that “Maggie was the ROCK of that family” after the murders and now the New York Times after Alex’s conviction to claim distance from Alex, in the years before the murders and now.

Seems like if he were accustomed to splitting his own wood - as the writer of that piece in the New York Times said they did together - he’d know better than to leave the most seasoned wood at the bottom of the pile. Maybe “the most seasoned“ is just unaware it appears different and hoping no one will notice.
What has always bugged me is when all of a sudden, when someone dies, they become a Saint who did everything right, the salt of the earth, Yeah right. No one is perfect, and especially no one who has been involved with all the questionable issues this family has been involved with for many years. Everything is about Appearances, and this will not change until/unless they each are publicly ridiculed/shamed/held accountable.

He and Alex both attended the University of South Carolina Law School and worked at their family's personal injury firm — Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick — together but were not particularly close.

"It’s not like there was some problem with our relationship, necessarily," Randy told the Times. "We just really weren’t alike, so we didn’t do stuff together."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aoajanw