TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Please discuss CHAD DAYBELL'S TRIAL and jury selection on this thread.
Below is a partial list of live streams and Twitter accounts we have followed from reporters in the past that are allowed.

LIVE STREAMS

Judge Steven Boyce

East Idaho News

Hidden True Crime

Law and Crime

TWITTER
Nate Eaton Twitter

Hidden True Crime Twitter

Justin Lum Twitter

Cathy Russon Law and Crime Twitter

ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *MEDIA MAPS* NO DISCUSSION #2

ID - Joshua Vallow & Tylee Ryan, Rexburg, Sept 2019 - TIMELINE ONLY *NO DISCUSSION*

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9
Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77

—————————————————————

Chad Daybell Trial Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5

Last edited by a moderator:
From SillyBilly

OFF TOPIC BUT IMPORTANT

There seems to be some confusion and concerns being expressed about Timeline posts not being linked in the Opening Posts.

Mods, Admins, Coordinators ... we've all had discussion about this over the last year and we just don't know why or when members started requesting WS staff to make all these additions and changes to the Opening Posts of new threads. We are a very limited staff and this is something members have historically done on their own that doesn't create any extra work for WS staff.

It is a very simple system that was set up years ago and has worked well in the past. We don't need to duplicate effort or reinvent the wheel here.

In each forum, i.e. "Located Persons Discussion", members will see at the top of the page, a sub forum called for example "Located Timeline and Media Links"

As you can see, any member can start an appropriately titled new timeline thread within such a forum and make or copy their Timeline posts and all subsequent revisions or updates into that thread. It can be titled something like Vallow & Daybell Media, Maps & Timeline (or just Vallow & Daybell Timeline thread if they want to keep it separate and apart from Media and Maps). If the thread gets titled Media, Maps and Timelines, all members have to do is use the search feature within that thread for the word Timeline. That's what these features are for.

When a member has created the Timeline thread, WS staff link it ONCE in the Opening Post and it never has to be changed again, regardless of whether it's 1 or 100 new discussion threads for any given case.

If there is any question about the above, please contact any Mod or Admin and we'll be glad to clarify.

If nobody else is going to do it for this case, when one of us gets time (not sure when that will be), we will set up the timeline thread for you in this case and copy all of Gardener1850's timeline posts into it. We will update the link in the Opening Post and it will never have to change after that.

Truly hope this clarifies.

Click here for the rules

Tuesday, May 21st:
*Trial continues (Day 27) (@ 8:30am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) & Tamara “Tammy” Michelle Douglas Daybell (49) (died on Oct. 19, 2019 at her residence in Salem, ID; dob 5/4/70). – *Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 55) arrested (6/9/20) & indicted (5/25/21) & charged (5/26/21) & arraigned (6/9/21) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4 (for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy, 49, died 10/19/19): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): 1st degree murder. Count 8 & 9: Insurance Fraud (Two counts of insurance fraud related to 2 different life insurance policies he had on Tammy). Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. (Judge denied removing DP 3/14/24). Fremont County
Trial began on 4/1/24 with final jury selection & ended on 4/8/24. Jurors: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [10 men & 8 women]. 5/2/24: Juror dismissed due to illness. Now: 12 jurors & 5 alternates.
Jury will be sequestered during deliberations in the guilt phase thru the penalty phase.
Trial began on 4/10/24. Court hours are 8:30am to 3pm Monday-Friday. Trial is being held in Ada County. State rested their case on 5/16/24. Defense began their case on 5/20/24.
Judge Steven W. Boyce presiding. Prosecutors: Fremont County Prosecuting Attorney Lindsey Blake, Madison County Prosecuting Attorney Rob Wood, Special Attorney General Prosecutor Ingrid Batey & Fremont County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Rocky Wixom & defense attorney John Prior.

Court info from 6/10/20 thru 3/29/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-6 (4/1-4/6/24) & thru 4/9/24 & Trial Days 1-25 (4/10-5/16/24) reference post #981 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-5.712515/page-50

5/20/24 Monday, Trial Day 26: Defense witnesses: Emma Murray [Chad’s daughter]. Garth Daybell [Chad’s oldest son]. Forrest Fischer, Garth’s attorney. Joseph Murray, Emma’s husband.
For more info on direct see post #1101 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-5.712515/page-56
Trial continues on Tuesday, 5/21/24.

Apart from our dismay at Emma being a teacher (and Garth too), what about their own children? Emma and Joseph have 3 so far, I don't know about Garth. I fear that the children's upbringings will probably be more of the same dangerous rubbish. IMO

I have a feeling the prosecution is going to impeach Emma when they get to do their rebuttal, with recordings of her relevant phone calls with Chad, and possibly even bodycam footage of LE wanting to share Tammy's autopsy results with her, or testimony from the officers if there is no bodycam.

I thought Ms. Blake did a nice job with her cross of Emma, but I'm curious why she didn't ask Emma who she believed was responsible for killing and burying Tylee and JJ. When the Daybell kids chose to speak to the national media, it was Emma who took the lead and spoke up to confidently state that they all believe her father was "framed." Based on the court's rulings during her direct and cross examinations, I believe the question would have been allowed over any objection by JP. Had she been asked who she believed buried the kids, she would have either answered, "I don't know" or "I believe Alex Cox was responsible" and either response would have been useful for the prosecution.

I think it would have been helpful for the prosecution to ask her if she believed her father "was framed" and follow up with asking why she believed that was the case. The notion that Chad is on the property while somebody buries JJ by the pond and then burns and buries Tylee in the pet cemetery to frame him is so ludicrous, it would have been helpful for the jury to see Emma trying to defend that proposition.

Apart from our dismay at Emma being a teacher (and Garth too), what about their own children? Emma and Joseph have 3 so far, I don't know about Garth. I fear that the children's upbringings will probably be more of the same dangerous rubbish. IMO
Garth stated that he didn't subscribe to his parents' fundamentalist views and gave his teaching of evolution in school as an example. Yet all Chad's children probably still believe in their father's special powers. If they don't do what he says, he won't defend them from dark spirits any more.

Last edited:
I didn’t believe in the whole zombie business.
Until, that is, I watched Emma and Garth testify.
Maybe Chad was on to something after all. His children speak like robots.
(PS seriously, does any one now think the jury will now have at least a reasonable doubt . God forbid, after listening to hours of this conflicting testimony? Scary thought.)

Before this trial I had no idea that witnesses could lie in court (when it's obvious they were coached) and expect to get away with it. They are allowed to create false alibis out of thin air. Prior asking them to confirm they weren't coached is also a travesty. We all know he told them what to say. Not to mention Prior's testifying and making stuff up at every oportunity. (all IMO)
If I had any dealings with Chad's children I would not be able to trust them any more after their testimonies.

Last edited:
Garth stated that he didn't subscribe to his parents' fundamentalist views and gave his teaching of evolution in school as an example. Yet all Chad's children probably still believe in their father's special powers. If they don't do what he says, he won't defend them from dark spirits any more.
I'd just as soon not have Chad defending me, thank you very much!

Confirming something I know to be true from the last thread.

My mum is a teacher librarian and those Scholastic boxes are HEAVY. Watch your back and knees while lifting heavy.

And setting up for a book fair is a massive amount of work. Moving a lot of heavy things in a very short space of time, getting them all set up nicely but also logically so you can find things, then packing everything up again. Someone weak and dizzy all the time just wouldn't be capable, IMO.

MOO

I have a feeling the prosecution is going to impeach Emma when they get to do their rebuttal, with recordings of her relevant phone calls with Chad, and possibly even bodycam footage of LE wanting to share Tammy's autopsy results with her, or testimony from the officers if there is no bodycam.
Will be looking forward to that! It seemed like Miss Blake would only go so far when cross examining Emma but she did not pounce when she could have to prove Emma was a liar. It must have been for a reason. I get that Emma is a victim too but she sure did nothing on the stand yesterday to make anyone feel sorry for her in that regard.

I wish the prosecution would've asked why Emma was not surprised Tammy's medical records indicated that Emma's statements about her mother's health were incorrect. For example, Emma saying she had sleep apnea but that diagnosis not being recorded in her medical history. Maybe they couldn't ask.

Emma also said she hadn't been to the doctor recently (paraphrased), yet Tammy was on Prozac. "Maintenance" medications (like those for blood pressure) can be refilled a few times without having a checkup appointment but you get to a point where you must have a checkup prior to a refill. It varies by medication. IME people who get things like Adderall will come every 1 to 3 months. Prozac is not a controlled substance but she would at least need to come every 3 or 6 months to get another supply. I wouldn't expect her kids to be aware of every single time she had a checkup but if she was consistently on Prozac for a long time then sorry Emma, she would've gone to the doctor for it.

MOO.

Also wish the state would have asked about the autopsy findings of asphyxiation, just to see what she would have said. Probably, I don't believe that, or some such would have been her response.

Seems like anytime she was asked about something that did not fit her narrative, she didn't believe he/she said that, did not believe the findings, etc.

Emma is definitely a daddy's girl (nothing wrong with that unless daddy is a murderer).

Also wish the state would have asked about the autopsy findings of asphyxiation, just to see what she would have said. Probably, I don't believe that, or some such would have been her response.

Seems like anytime she was asked about something that did not fit her narrative, she didn't believe he/she said that, did not believe the findings, etc.

Emma is definitely a daddy's girl (nothing wrong with that unless daddy is a murderer).
I find it gross that anyone would protect a murderer of children. You must be insane to justify that to yourself.

I thought Ms. Blake did a nice job with her cross of Emma, but I'm curious why she didn't ask Emma who she believed was responsible for killing and burying Tylee and JJ. When the Daybell kids chose to speak to the national media, it was Emma who took the lead and spoke up to confidently state that they all believe her father was "framed." Based on the court's rulings during her direct and cross examinations, I believe the question would have been allowed over any objection by JP. Had she been asked who she believed buried the kids, she would have either answered, "I don't know" or "I believe Alex Cox was responsible" and either response would have been useful for the prosecution.

I think it would have been helpful for the prosecution to ask her if she believed her father "was framed" and follow up with asking why she believed that was the case. The notion that Chad is on the property while somebody buries JJ by the pond and then burns and buries Tylee in the pet cemetery to frame him is so ludicrous, it would have been helpful for the jury to see Emma trying to defend that proposition.
I think it was not asked because Prior hadn't asked.

It would come off as a laughable symptom of indoctrination/lie either way, but more so if said to Prior.

If Blake were the first to ask, I think there is a tiny risk that "framing" becomes a viable explanation to consider, and juror minds turn away from things like- both Chad and Emma knew Chad was not coming home absent external evidence. I think the prosecution would rather have that strange incarceration planning conversation in their heads, and not even consider framing.

Once (and if) the defense brings up framing, the prosecution can ask (by implication, if on direct) "If Chad was framed, why didn't he tell Emma that the remains found can't be JJ or Tylee, because Lori assured me that they are safe." "If Chad was framed, why didn't Emma challenge Lori with her father...and ask him if he thinks Lori meant safe and dead?"

Since framing has not been brought up yet, the implied question is "If Emma didn't know the remains were Tylee and JJ, why did she try to push the several dogs narrative with LE, as if she knew that human remains=Tylee and JJ, and Tylee and JJ=Chad is going to be locked up a long time.

There are other dead humans. But the only dead humans that came to Emma's mind, IMO, were JJ and Tylee. Because she knew all along or figured it out while talking with the searchers. That's why her first thought was to mention other species, not suggest other humans. And it's not like she didn't know what previous owners had buried, or like they had lived there very long.

MOO

Watching Emma's testimony this morning. My observations:

DIRECT
- When Emma says she has not watched any prior testimony, CD smirks
- I don't believe for a minute that Emma doesn't know the financial situation with Prior
- When Emma starts speaking of Tammy's health, CD does his "chin thrust" (fearlessness, superiority)
- Emma's testimony sounds very scripted. There's some strange, unnatural sounding wording (the school "houses three grades," "some people didn't know that," "I observed her," "I was aware of"), and she seems to immediately have an answer for everything, with no pause for thought.
- When Emma starts talking about the FitBit, CD very briefly swaps to his "self-soothing" pose (LDS prayer pose, shoulders hunched), which makes me think he's nervous about something with that FitBit.
- When Emma is talking about Tammy reading in bed, CD makes an odd sort of expression (grimace/contempt?)
- Emma says that Tammy told her she "never would" run a 5k. Right. Because that's normal language people use.
- "My mother and I were both overweight." This statement just feels gross to me. You weren't "overweight" -- you'd just had a child.
- "She stopped going when she died." What a bizarre statement.
- Oh, so Tammy could fend off an attacker bc she played a boxing game on the Wii. Riiiight.
- CD switches to his "self-soothing" pose when Emma is talking about the health insurance, which makes me think he was nervous about that part. He stays in that pose through the rest of the testimony.
1716295342700.png
- When Emma mentions using the Cozy Cone for music so that they didn't disturb Tammy, CD nods a bit
- CD wanting to keep to "the original form" of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, and using the term "fundamentalist" screams to me that he wanted to reinstate polygamy
- Prior definitely seemed to be prompting Emma to show some emotion with his line about "if you need a tissue or anything"... and later "if you need a break, tell me"
- After the break, CD is back to his "default pose" - maybe Prior reminded him how he's supposed to be sitting?
1716297267477.png
- The jury is supposed to believe Emma's word that he was not fleeing the day the children were found. She could tell he was driving only 50 mph.
- The jury is also supposed to believe that CD's behavior at Tammy's funeral was totally normal for grieving LDS spouses, even though every witness they've talked to that said it was odd were, in fact, LDS.

CROSS-EXAMINATION...
- Knowing that Emma has been talking to CD daily calls absolutely everything she says into question
- I'm really hoping that we get to see/hear some prison visits/calls with Emma on the rebuttal, bc it's obvious Blake has more info on those conversations that we haven't seen yet
- "I stay up later when I'm sick and have just thrown up as well," Emma said, regarding Tammy being up after 10pm that night. This does not seem normal to me. People who are sick tend to sleep more, not less.
- I love that Blake pointed out that CD signed the insurance papers; it completely destroys the whole "Tammy did this without consulting CD" narrative
- I also love that Blake asked, "Did you ever ask your dad where [the kids] were? What did he tell you?" And then Blake gives the jury a nice long pause to think about that.
- I also like how Blake got Emma to testify that as patriarch, CD was the sort of person who liked to be in charge and run things

REDIRECT...
- CD goes back to his "self-soothing" pose when Prior tries to throw LVD under the bus by saying that she never told CD what happened to the children

Honestly, I think this testimony is going to hurt CD more than help him. I think the jury will be able to see CD's manipulation at work within Emma. She's shown that she's willing to lie and stretch the truth and that she's still being guided and influenced by CD.

Must say, that is what I am hoping, given how light Prosecution was on Emma yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonsuli